Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firedude

(In Production) Millwood, NY Fire Department

16 posts in this topic

County: Westchester

City/Town/Municipality/Dept: Town of New Castle, NY (Hamlet of Millwood) - Millwood Fire Company

Unit designation/identifier: Mini Attack 10 (MA10)

Chassis & Body (or Aerial) Manufacturer and model: 2012 Ford F550, Firematic/B.R.A.T body

Pump size, tank size (water/foam), aerial type & length: unknown

Estimated delivery date: Mid 2012

Notes: will replace a 1990 Ford/Saulsbury

2231* likes this

all i can say is that Millwood has not received this unit yet. 10-75.net has some wrong information

thanks for informing us. im sure youll like that rig when it gets delivered.

thanks for informing us. im sure youll like that rig when it gets delivered.

we do need a new mini attack as the current is a manual transmission and not a lot know how to drive manual

Although not involved in the design of this rig it has been discussed for quite some time. MA-10 has always been a unique rig with much to offer not only to the residents of Millwood but to anyone in need of mutual aid. The current MA-10 with 750gpm pump and 1000+ feet of 4 inch hose could go places that a traditional Class A pumper couldn't and provide nearly as much capacity. With a good water supply I personally have pumped over 1000gpm through it. Unfortunately, not many other departments recognized (despite our efforts to let its capabilities be known) that this was more than a typical 200-400gpm brush truck / mini pumper.

The new rig will undoubtedly take the next step in providing even greater versatility and firepower by doubling the amount of water to 300gal and increasing the pump capacity to 1000gpm. Although the rig will be slightly longer due to it being a crew cab, the addition of 3 more firefighters and air paks will make this rig a fully functioning engine and create a great all terrain all weather suppression unit. It's perfect for operating in gated driveways, narrow alleys, off road behind large residences, static water sources, etc.

Even though I no longer live in Millwood, I would encourage Northern Westchester departments to learn as much about the capabilities of this rig as possible and see where it might be of beneficial use... I believe Goldens Bridge has similar capabilities with E139 also carrying LDH and having a 1000gpm pump on a F550 chassis.

peterose313, RJB896, 2231* and 2 others like this

Although not involved in the design of this rig it has been discussed for quite some time. MA-10 has always been a unique rig with much to offer not only to the residents of Millwood but to anyone in need of mutual aid. The current MA-10 with 750gpm pump and 1000+ feet of 4 inch hose could go places that a traditional Class A pumper couldn't and provide nearly as much capacity. With a good water supply I personally have pumped over 1000gpm through it. Unfortunately, not many other departments recognized (despite our efforts to let its capabilities be known) that this was more than a typical 200-400gpm brush truck / mini pumper.

The new rig will undoubtedly take the next step in providing even greater versatility and firepower by doubling the amount of water to 300gal and increasing the pump capacity to 1000gpm. Although the rig will be slightly longer due to it being a crew cab, the addition of 3 more firefighters and air paks will make this rig a fully functioning engine and create a great all terrain all weather suppression unit. It's perfect for operating in gated driveways, narrow alleys, off road behind large residences, static water sources, etc.

Even though I no longer live in Millwood, I would encourage Northern Westchester departments to learn as much about the capabilities of this rig as possible and see where it might be of beneficial use... I believe Goldens Bridge has similar capabilities with E139 also carrying LDH and having a 1000gpm pump on a F550 chassis.

I believe that the new MA-10, as well as the old one, is going to be designated as a first due truck along with Ladder 52 just in case L-52 is too big to make it into the drive way. This didn't work with the old MA-10 because there was a lost of interest in this truck. Nowadays MA-10 only makes it out when there are no more trucks in the bays to respond, or as a traffic truck on the oh so busy Taconic State Parkway.

You are right in saying that this truck is a very unique addition to the Millwood fleet, but a new MA is very much needed and wanted by the department.

x4093k and RJB896 like this

I believe that the new MA-10, as well as the old one, is going to be designated as a first due truck along with Ladder 52 just in case L-52 is too big to make it into the drive way. This didn't work with the old MA-10 because there was a lost of interest in this truck. Nowadays MA-10 only makes it out when there are no more trucks in the bays to respond, or as a traffic truck on the oh so busy Taconic State Parkway.

You are right in saying that this truck is a very unique addition to the Millwood fleet, but a new MA is very much needed and wanted by the department.

I agree that an updated version of the rig is needed....

I do however, have a few comments to respond to:

Rigs should not be used based on levels of "interest". Rigs are to respond based on SOP/SOG's set forth by the officers of the department. MA-10 always had its assigned runs and never had a problem getting on the street when I was an officer. Historically a rookie chauffeur had to qualify on MA-10 before they could begin driver training on any of the full sized rigs with the truck and tanker coming last. I'm not sure if that changed in the past 7 years but honestly it shouldn't have.

Finally, the fact that the rig having a manual transmission was a factor to folks not driving it is frustrating to me. In my mind, if you are not capable of mastering the relatively simple task of driving a vehicle with a manual transmission, then how can you possibly master the complex study and execution of fire-ground hydraulics, rural water supply, aerial operations, etc, etc... The old MA-10 has a silky smooth, fully synchronized transmission, a very predictable clutch action, and enough torque that it's nearly impossible to stall.... If anything its a great rig to teach someone how to operate an emergency vehicle AND how to drive stick on simultaneously. I taught more then one member how to drive stick on it....

Just try and drive the Brockway and see what a real manual transmission is like!!!!

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'

SECTMB, x4093k, IFCO3080 and 1 other like this

I agree that an updated version of the rig is needed....

I do however, have a few comments to respond to:

Rigs should not be used based on levels of "interest". Rigs are to respond based on SOP/SOG's set forth by the officers of the department. MA-10 always had its assigned runs and never had a problem getting on the street when I was an officer. Historically a rookie chauffeur had to qualify on MA-10 before they could begin driver training on any of the full sized rigs with the truck and tanker coming last. I'm not sure if that changed in the past 7 years but honestly it shouldn't have.

Finally, the fact that the rig having a manual transmission was a factor to folks not driving it is frustrating to me. In my mind, if you are not capable of mastering the relatively simple task of driving a vehicle with a manual transmission, then how can you possibly master the complex study and execution of fire-ground hydraulics, rural water supply, aerial operations, etc, etc... The old MA-10 has a silky smooth, fully synchronized transmission, a very predictable clutch action, and enough torque that it's nearly impossible to stall.... If anything its a great rig to teach someone how to operate an emergency vehicle AND how to drive stick on simultaneously. I taught more then one member how to drive stick on it....

Just try and drive the Brockway and see what a real manual transmission is like!!!!

I'm not sayin'... I'm just sayin'

I agree with you all the way. I actually favor manual transmission over automatic.

I am not sure when you were an officer in the department, but SOP/SOG's are in the process of being rewritten and clarified under the request of a few new members.

And you are correct in saying that MA-10 has its assignments I should have been more careful in what I said. But, that leads to why the SOP/SOG's are being rewritten to show what rigs respond to what type of call. MA-10 is still first due to brush fires, car fires, dumpster fires, etc. However, MA-10 can only seat 2 comfortably, but I have been stuffed in there and responded with one FF on either side of me. If there are enough FF's waiting in the bays to respond, MA-10 would not respond.

New drivers are now being trained on U-44 as the first truck just to get them accustomed to driving an emergency vehicle. They then move onto MA-10, R-36, E-247/248 and then L-52 and T-15.

EmsFirePolice and RJB896 like this

all i can say is that Millwood has not received this unit yet. 10-75.net has some wrong information

If you notice I post something wrong, feel free to email me with corrections.

Thanks

I've seen this vehicle several times during my trips to Firematic, in fact we used some lighting ideas on our new engine that's there under construction, the unit is a very nicely designed mini pumper with a 1000 GPM midship pump.

Just curious to see if this rig has been delivered and if it is in service yet. Firematic doesn't have it on their delivered page and Millwood's website makes no mention of it.

Looks interesting for initial attack engine for dumpsters, remote water supply, snow response and park on shoulder brush response but Initial Structure attack? Off road all terrain brush attack? Does it have CAFS? Especially carrying 300 gal. H2o? Under vehicle skid plate protection for off road? Does it have Pump and Roll for off road? Will they keep the old truck for off road response? Manual drive is great.

Sorry, but just don't get it?

Did Millwood recieve the unit? I passed a brand new unit on the TSP tonight. Thought it said Millwood FD.