Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SteveOFD

Mount Vernon Police BRAT

17 posts in this topic

While looking at the Firematic website I see that Mount Vernon Police Dept. has taken delivery of a new B.R.A.T. Emergency Services truck. From their deliveries page, it looks like this is the first PD ESU they have built.

There are also pictures of an FDNY rig. This is probably a Brush Fire Unit.

Other FDNY BFU pictures from FDNYTrucks.com can be seen at these links:

BFU 4 & ATV 154

BFU 3

BFU 5

BFU 1 & ATV 164

BFU 2

BFU 7

BFU 6

ATRV 329

BFD1054 likes this

Looks nice, but how is this a B.R.A.T. and not just another rescue truck. It does not look like it is a "Brush Rapid Attack Truck"

Looks nice, but how is this a B.R.A.T. and not just another rescue truck. It does not look like it is a "Brush Rapid Attack Truck"

Maybe you do not know, but, MV has lots of brush, but could use a few more brushes :D

BFD1054 likes this

It looks like B.R.A.T. is a division of Firematic that manufactures the Original B.R.A.T., the Rally B.R.A.T., the Front Mount B.R.A.T., and the Rescue B.R.A.T.

The BRAT brand has developed a reputation from it's inception as a brush truck to the current units being produced. Firematic manufasctures a host of vehicles under the "BRAT" banner now. I've always thought that now the name is kind of obsolete due to it's orginal purpose.

The MVPD ESU truck looks AWESOME! Glad to see MVPD ESU getting this high quality truck that will run 24/7/365.

As far as FDNY, I'm curious. It is definetly an older model Ford F-series, maybe 2003-is. It also has an amber lightbar. Firematic just mounted the Skid unit, which is weird because the FDNY shops usually could handle something something like this. Would it technically be a brush unit or used for something else?

Thanks again to Steve for his heads up with these new deliveries!

This may be a silly question. But what exactly is the "job" of a PD ESU truck?

This may be a silly question. But what exactly is the "job" of a PD ESU truck?

Depends on which departments ESU you're talking about, but the overall job of a PD Emergency Service Unit is to provide police officers who have specialized training and equipment to assist patrol officers with situations they may encounter that patrol cops are either not trained or not equipped to handle. The services offered vary slightly by jurisdiction, but pretty much all Emergency Service Units provide traditional SWAT services. In addition to tactical work, ESU also provides technical rescue, vehicle extrication, dive/water rescue, helicopter operations, less lethal weapon deployment, management of violent/barricaded EDP's, animal control, evidence searches, auxiliary lighting, vehicle lockouts, securing premises, uprighting overturned vehicles, cutting/removal of trees from roadways, etc. The ESU truck is a rolling tool box that's full of solutions to any and all problems that patrol officers may encounter.

jack10562 and Just a guy like this

Depends on which departments ESU you're talking about, but the overall job of a PD Emergency Service Unit is to provide police officers who have specialized training and equipment to assist patrol officers with situations they may encounter that patrol cops are either not trained or not equipped to handle. The services offered vary slightly by jurisdiction, but all Emergency Service Units provide traditional SWAT services. In addition to tactical work, ESU also provides technical rescue, vehicle extrication, dive/water rescue, helicopter operations, less lethal weapon deployment, management of violent/barricaded EDP's, animal control, evidence searches, auxiliary lighting, vehicle lockouts, securing premises, uprighting overturned vehicles, cutting/removal of trees from roadways, etc. The ESU truck is a rolling tool box that's full of solutions to any and all problems that patrol officers may encounter.

That pretty much explains it then. Thank you. We do not (to my knowledge) have anything like that here in Western MA.

That pretty much explains it then. Thank you. We do not (to my knowledge) have anything like that here in Western MA.

You'll see them around the NY/NJ metro area. Each departments ESU is slightly different in the services they offer. Some of the full time ESU Squads in the area are:

NYPD, Yonkers, Mt Vernon, New Rochelle (CIU instead of ESU), White Plains, MTA, Port Authority, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Fort Lee, Jersey City

why does New Rochelle have it as CIU and not as ESU.

why does New Rochelle have it as CIU and not as ESU.

As far as I can remember, NRPD CIU really only provides tactical police services for the City of New Rochelle and doesn't offer any rescue services, making them more of a conventional SWAT team and not a true Emergency Service Unit. New Rochelle's Police Commisssioner was the Commanding Officer of NYPD ESU for a period of time during his tenure with the NYPD, and perhaps did not want to use the name "ESU" since they don't offer all the services that the surrounding ESU Squads (NYPD, Yonkers, Mt. Vernon) offer. Mere speculation on my part, if someone knows something different please feel free to correct me.

As far as I can remember, NRPD CIU really only provides tactical police services for the City of New Rochelle and doesn't offer any rescue services, making them more of a conventional SWAT team and not a true Emergency Service Unit. New Rochelle's Police Commisssioner was the Commanding Officer of NYPD ESU for a period of time during his tenure with the NYPD, and perhaps did not want to use the name "ESU" since they don't offer all the services that the surrounding ESU Squads (NYPD, Yonkers, Mt. Vernon) offer. Mere speculation on my part, if someone knows something different please feel free to correct me.

NRPD CIU does not provide "rescue services". It does provide SWAT, Animal Control, EDP and is trained to work with the FD to operate in Level A hazmat/WMD for law enforcment related hot zone entry.

THe Police Commissioner was head of NYPD SOD (Which includes ESU, Aviation, SCUBA, Harbor and?). When he came to NR, the City council made it clear that there would be no duplication of services or intra department squabiling. So no "ESU".

NRPD CIU does not provide "rescue services". It does provide SWAT, Animal Control, EDP and is trained to work with the FD to operate in Level A hazmat/WMD for law enforcment related hot zone entry.

THe Police Commissioner was head of NYPD SOD (Which includes ESU, Aviation, SCUBA, Harbor and?). When he came to NR, the City council made it clear that there would be no duplication of services or intra department squabiling. So no "ESU".

The C.O. Of SOD is a position held by (at the time) a 2-Star Chief (it's now a 3 Star position). Carroll retired as an Inspector, and was the C.O. of ESU only.

But why does harrison ploice have a Chevrolet Avalanche ESU here look Picture Of  Town Of Harrison NY Police Department Chevrolet Avalanche ESU Unit Taken At Their Open House On Sunday October 9, 2011