Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterose313

Newburgh: Several businesses destroyed in huge blaze at Algonquin Plaza

10 posts in this topic

Several businesses destroyed in huge blaze at Algonquin Plaza

TOWN OF NEWBURGH - A huge fire ripped through the Algonquin Plaza on Friday morning, destroying more than half the plaza before firefighters knocked down the flames.

A firewall saved the U.S. Post Office at the far end of the plaza, but at least five offices and businesses were destroyed. Monell's Camera Shop, a longtime staple of Newburgh, was among the businesses that suffered heavy damage in the blaze. A dry cleaning business, insurance office, Asian food store, and the district offices for the 100th State Assembly District were also destroyed.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

video on YouTube

The last I remember reading on this site is that the City of Newburgh was planning on laying off 12 firefighters leaving the city with only One Engine, One Ladder, with three guys on each, and a Chief. Is this still the case ? If it is, six guys really can't do much with this fire.

The last I remember reading on this site is that the City of Newburgh was planning on laying off 12 firefighters leaving the city with only One Engine, One Ladder, with three guys on each, and a Chief. Is this still the case ? If it is, six guys really can't do much with this fire.

This fire was actually in the Town of Newburgh, Winona Lake Fire District.

The city did not lay any off, from the last time. And runs 2 & 1 with a Chief and minimal staffing, being at least 2 FF's.

I do believe the City of Newburgh was FAST for this particular fire though. I could be wrong.

Edited by billy98988

This fire was actually in the Town of Newburgh, Winona Lake Fire District.

The city did not lay any off, from the last time. And runs 2 & 1 with a Chief.

I do believe the City of Newburgh was FAST for this particular fire though. I could be wrong.

Coldenham was initially the FAST for this. The run down I have so far was all Winona Lake apparatus (2 engines, truck, rescue, and utility), Orange Lake, Cronomer Valley, Coldenham and Good-Will were on scene as well as TONVAC and MLSS. Various standby companies included Plattekill, Modena, New Windsor, Vails Gate and Montgomery(?).

Unfortunatly, I was working and could not make the call.

City of Newburgh staffs 2 engines and the truck with a minimum of a driver, officer, and fireman plus an assistant chief, 24/7.

City of Newburgh was not called to this fire for whatever reason. Maybe at a mile and a half, we are too far away to get there quickly.

Edited by Newburgher
BFD1054 and billy98988 like this

News 12 is reporting that it is believed to have been a possible electrical problem that started the fire.

The fire was also being fed by a gas line and there were initial water supply issues as the town had 2 broken water mains in the vicinity.

The 'City" of Newburgh staffs two engines and one truck?

My wife's family was from Newburgh and my family had business there and in the surrounding areas in the 50's - 70's. At one time it really was a 'City'.