Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MoFire390

Entergy Grants Funds to Local Agencies

19 posts in this topic

That's great that Entergy has provided funding for these agencies for Training and Equipment. I'm curious how these agencies plan to use the money that was allocated to them? What will Cortlandt Community VAC do to prepare their members for an emergency incident related to Indian Point? What about Mohegan? Or Peekskill VAC? Or Nyack? Will their members be any more trained, educated, or prepared to respond to an incident involving Indian Point? Why did Patterson Fire Department, which is on the Eastern side of Putnam County, receive funding when there are numerous other agencies who are considerably closer to Indian Point?

What about agencies who have previously been allocated money from Entergy? What have they done with the grant money they received to improve their preparedness?

streetdoc likes this

That's great that Entergy has provided funding for these agencies for Training and Equipment. I'm curious how these agencies plan to use the money that was allocated to them? What will Cortlandt Community VAC do to prepare their members for an emergency incident related to Indian Point? What about Mohegan? Or Peekskill VAC? Or Nyack? Will their members be any more trained, educated, or prepared to respond to an incident involving Indian Point? Why did Patterson Fire Department, which is on the Eastern side of Putnam County, receive funding when there are numerous other agencies who are considerably closer to Indian Point?

What about agencies who have previously been allocated money from Entergy? What have they done with the grant money they received to improve their preparedness?

While I agree with your point, these agencies should be required to use the money for preparedness for radiation/HAZMAT type incidents, I disagree on what you're saying about Patterson. I attended the annual exercise for Indian Point a few months back and Patterson is (one of several towns) that is most likely going to be downwind of any radioactive release. I don't understand why other towns DIDN'T get money, but I can definitely understand why Patterson did.

While I agree with your point, these agencies should be required to use the money for preparedness for radiation/HAZMAT type incidents, I disagree on what you're saying about Patterson. I attended the annual exercise for Indian Point a few months back and Patterson is (one of several towns) that is most likely going to be downwind of any radioactive release. I don't understand why other towns DIDN'T get money, but I can definitely understand why Patterson did.

Correct they should be required. This is why I asked what other agencies who have received grant monies in the past have done to improve their preparedness to radiological incidents. I didn't say Patterson didn't deserve any money, I asked why they received money when there are numerous other agencies that are closer. Did the other agencies previously already receive grant funding and were ineligible for additional funding this go-around? Was Patterson FD the only FD in Putnam County who applied for the grant? That would explain why they were awarded grant money.

streetdoc likes this

Grant application information from the Entergy website.

My guess is that if an agency didn't receive anything, they didn't apply or they applied and didn't meet the below criteria.

Entergy is a recognized leader in the nuclear power industry. Through the Safety Responders Fund, Entergy actively seeks opportunities to partner with first responders and the agencies and non-profits that serve the area where our employees live and work. In considering grant requests, priority is placed first, on applicants who are directly involved in aspects of Indian Point Energy Center’s Emergency Response Plan and second, on applicants who support emergency response roles and functions within the ten-mile Emergency Planning Zone (EPZ) surrounding Indian Point Energy Center. Please check to make sure that your project meets the eligibility qualifications.

Eligibility:

Grants from Entergy will be made to the following types of organizations:

• Non-profit organizations that are tax exempt under section 501©(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (“Tax Code”), or
  • Governmental units that hold nonprofit status similar to that of 501©(3) organizations, which may therefore be eligible.

Application Process:
  • Please complete each question in the application prior to submitting it.
  • Each application will be reviewed by Entergy’s Safety Responders Fund Review Committee and chosen on the basis of the criteria listed below.

Criteria:

• Applicant must either be directly involved in aspects of Indian Point Energy Center’s Emergency Response Plan, or, support emergency response roles and functions within the ten-mile Emergency Planning Zone (EPZ) surrounding Indian Point Energy Center.
  • Applicant must be an established organization with a mission or charter consistent with serving the surrounding Indian Point Energy Center community
  • Applicant must also have 501 ©(3) tax-exempt status or be a municipality recognized by the State of New York
  • Grants will fund training or equipment purchases in regard to specific emergency planning needs, but exceptions can be made for other requests on a case by case basis and as funding permits.
  • Projects should show sustainable characteristics with measurable results demonstrating a willingness to partner with other emergency responders
  • Awards are up to $25,000
  • Requests greater than $25,000 will be reviewed outside of the regular grant funding process for future funding and will be considered extraordinary requests.

Preferences:
Entergy gives preference to projects that have:
  • Significant community support
  • High probability of success and cost efficiency

Are you sure about that wind information? I don't believe Patterson is downwind most of the time; they're certainly not in the 10 mile EPZ.

I think they are a reception center for people that are moved north and east but I could be mistaken.

At Cortlandt VAC we have HAZMAT awareness. Which we re-new every year as part of our training as members. I am unable to help you with what the money is going to be spent on. sorry. I know we are looking into the new Stryker load system.

At Cortlandt VAC we have HAZMAT awareness. Which we re-new every year as part of our training as members. I am unable to help you with what the money is going to be spent on. sorry. I know we are looking into the new Stryker load system.

I think it's great that your agency trains it's members to the Awareness level, and keeps up with yearly refreshers, but Awareness level training is the bare minimum, and does not equip nor prepare responders to truly operate and respond to a radiological incident. It merely makes you "aware" that there is a HazMat release and the hazards associated with a radiological/HazMat incident, and the need to call for higher trained responders to handle the incident. It would be nice if EMS responders could be trained to at least the Operations level and be equipped to respond to these types of incidents.

We rarely do, but this is one of the few times I disagree with your opinion. The agencies should not be required to use the money for radiation and/or hazmat incidents. Entergy should be solely responsible for such equipment and training and at one point I believe its actually federal requirements that the owners/operators of nuclear power plants do so. This also includes training on the use of the equipment and the emergency action plan. Which I can flat out say...I have no idea what the responsibilities of my agency, myself, where any equipment is or how to operate it at this point. I've gotten some CME's based on radiation, annually for about the past 7 years. The same exact lecture. Which by the way is mostly based on common knowledge I teach as an instructor myself and also detailed towards the decon plan if a worker gets contaminated or injured and contaminated.

As far as Patterson getting some of the money and others not...some of the towns, cities etc. may not have put in for any of the grant money. Its just like any other grant, you have an application process. This includes those within the 50 mile radius..not just the 10 mile.

JohnnyOV likes this

I think it's great that your agency trains it's members to the Awareness level, and keeps up with yearly refreshers, but Awareness level training is the bare minimum, and does not equip nor prepare responders to truly operate and respond to a radiological incident. It merely makes you "aware" that there is a HazMat release and the hazards associated with a radiological/HazMat incident, and the need to call for higher trained responders to handle the incident. It would be nice if EMS responders could be trained to at least the Operations level and be equipped to respond to these types of incidents.

I agree with you. I am currently a. Hazmat tech. Operations would be awesome. However we do have many people trained in the chemical and biological agents.

I agree with you. I am currently a. Hazmat tech. Operations would be awesome. However we do have many people trained in the chemical and biological agents.

Being trained is great.... But do you have the proper equipment to put the training to use in the event of a real incident?

streetdoc likes this

To simply put this...if you can't handle a minor or moderate hazardous materials incident, your dreaming if you think you can handle a CBRNE incident. Which by the way in its purest form is nothing more then an intentional hazardous materials release.

Here's the other reason as to why I don't feel that the grant money should carry a requirement to be hazmat based purchasing. When the equipment hits its shelf life...then what? Most agencies will not spend nor have the money to replace it. Statistically haz mat incidents are very low percentage. I do understand that when one does happen with my area particularly with a lot of corrosives being used in industry around me that it could be very serious. But with current things going they way they are...for EMS grants...I deal with a higher number of bariatric patients that equipment is still needed by most. CO oximetry would be nice. Upgrades to LP 12 or the new 15 would be nice.

The 3 best things that you can start at the operations level to start with...is good training, an ERG and a pair of binoculars.

Being trained is great.... But do you have the proper equipment to put the training to use in the event of a real incident?

NO. plain and simple. I wish we did I really do.

ALS- you are one of the greatest assets to our area with your knowledge and expertese. I will be in contact with you at a later date to set some things up.

INDIAN POINT RESPONSE PLAN! Run to Deli Grab Lots of Beer, Grab Lawn Chair, Grab Scanner, Listen to CHAOS, and Listen to Car Horns do to Traffic Jams and Accidents! LMAO :lol:

To answer a lot of the comments made about Patterson Fire, as I was the one who took the time to search for the grant, do the research, write the grant and then submit it we just got word of our award several days ago. As the NY Lottery says "you can't win if you don't play" ;)

One of the requirements was to be in the surrounding communities and counties. The other requirement was not to just submit a wish list of useless equipment that would just be cool to have and never use.

Instead we submitted the grant with a plan. We are aggressively working to improve the towns water supply. By receiving these fund we would look to make much needed repairs to drafting hydrants that are out of service and install up to 21 drafting Hydrants in existing sources over the next couple of years.

This plan also consists of an ordinance that is scheduled to go infront of the town that would require new residential and commercial development to install either drafting hydrants in near by water sources or to install inground tanks.

This is all being done to provide the citizens of our town with a sufficient network of drafting Hydrants and as water supply is 40% of a towns ISO rating, we will be ready for them when the time comes to contact the in the far future.

By receiving these fund we would look to make much needed repairs to drafting hydrants that are out of service and install up to 21 drafting Hydrants in existing sources over the next couple of years.

This plan also consists of an ordinance that is scheduled to go infront of the town that would require new residential and commercial development to install either drafting hydrants in near by water sources or to install inground tanks.

This is all being done to provide the citizens of our town with a sufficient network of drafting Hydrants and as water supply is 40% of a towns ISO rating, we will be ready for them when the time comes to contact the in the far future.

Well done. Every dept. needs to be doing this, even without the grants.

One note: ISO does not include dry hydrants in the 40% portion (municipal water supply). None municpal hydrant sections of a district (those more than 1,000 feet from a hydrant) are automatically rated a 9. To improve that rating you have to ask ISO to come in and witness the FD's performance. They pick the location and personnel (so every ff on your books needs to be 100%) then they have you prove that you can move enough water to meet the needed fire flows in your district.

I think its great what your doing and its the 1st step in getting down to a 3 or 4 in a non-hydrant area. Good luck

helicopper likes this

To answer a lot of the comments made about Patterson Fire, as I was the one who took the time to search for the grant, do the research, write the grant and then submit it we just got word of our award several days ago. As the NY Lottery says "you can't win if you don't play" ;)

One of the requirements was to be in the surrounding communities and counties. The other requirement was not to just submit a wish list of useless equipment that would just be cool to have and never use.

Instead we submitted the grant with a plan. We are aggressively working to improve the towns water supply. By receiving these fund we would look to make much needed repairs to drafting hydrants that are out of service and install up to 21 drafting Hydrants in existing sources over the next couple of years.

By reading your post, there is no doubt as to why you got a grant. Very well written and very appreciated on my part. Kudos to you.

By reading your post, there is no doubt as to why you got a grant. Very well written and very appreciated on my part. Kudos to you.

Agreed. It's great to see an agency taking advantage of an opportunity and truly making improvements not just buying equipment and proclaiming that they're prepared.