Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Responding to Gas Emergencies

22 posts in this topic

With the most recent situation in West Haverstraw this week it might be a great time to review your response guidelines to gas leaks. Con Ed here in Westchester has gone above and beyond to warn us of the hazards. From a close friend of mine that was at the scene the other day he said he will never forget the capacity of the blast and is glad that all members had the PPE on. I am sure that Jerry Knapp will have a nice presentation on this incident down the road. The Scarsdale incident a few years back is another incident that reminds us not to take these leaks lightly. I am glad to see that the W Haverstraw members will be ok. Be safe out there!

In the early 1990's we had a devastating gas explosion in Schoharie County that killed the volunteer fire chief while he tried to evacuate the residents, and injured dozens of others, leveled a whole town (Blenheim NY, google it).

Still today our department does not have a meter. I agree, everyone should pay attention to these types of emergencies and stay prepared. We have a major natural gas line (Tennessee Gas Line) running through our district with a pump station as well. We make it an annual thing to get a tour of the pump station facility and talk to the engineers there. They keep us posted on the main line and any work being done as well as any updates to their facility.

Edited by firemoose827

I'd like to add a few thoughts, if you get a contractor damage and the gas is blowing uncontrollably, resist the urge to open up a line to "disperse" the gas. Natural Gas is lighter than air and disperses all by itself rather nicely. Even if there is ignition and you have a gas-fed fire, don't attempt to "put it out" because, A: you more than likely won't be able to put it out anyway, and B: if you do somehow manage to put it out, you still have an uncontrolled gas leak.

At least with it burning you know where it is, and don't have to worry about an invisible cloud of gas working it's way down the block. Also if you do open up a line, all you will be doing is filling the hole with water and thereby making it impossible for gas company crews to see the break that they might otherwise have been able to get in there and simply squeeze it off or perhaps insert a stopper to control the leak.

Adding water to a blowing gas incident only makes for a huge mess. In addition to the gas leaking, you will now have mud flying all over the place. This is really not so much your concern, however, but it does add a new element for eventually making repairs to the broken pipe. Now the gas company crews has to deal with de-watering what was once a nice and clean, dry gas line, in addition to making repairs to the damaged pipe. Go ahead stretch a line but please, don't use it. The gas guys who will be working in the trench for hours after you are long gone will thank you!

I'd like to add a few thoughts, if you get a contractor damage and the gas is blowing uncontrollably, resist the urge to open up a line to "disperse" the gas. Natural Gas is lighter than air and disperses all by itself rather nicely. Even if there is ignition and you have a gas-fed fire, don't attempt to "put it out" because, A: you more than likely won't be able to put it out anyway, and B: if you do somehow manage to put it out, you still have an uncontrolled gas leak.

At least with it burning you know where it is, and don't have to worry about an invisible cloud of gas working it's way down the block. Also if you do open up a line, all you will be doing is filling the hole with water and thereby making it impossible for gas company crews to see the break that they might otherwise have been able to get in there and simply squeeze it off or perhaps insert a stopper to control the leak.

Adding water to a blowing gas incident only makes for a huge mess. In addition to the gas leaking, you will now have mud flying all over the place. This is really not so much your concern, however, but it does add a new element for eventually making repairs to the broken pipe. Now the gas company crews has to deal with de-watering what was once a nice and clean, dry gas line, in addition to making repairs to the damaged pipe. Go ahead stretch a line but please, don't use it. The gas guys who will be working in the trench for hours after you are long gone will thank you!

I agree with Jack. Use the line to protect exposures is there is fire, and do not put it out. The gas is burning off safely and will not cause more problems if it were leaking without fire.

Propane is heavier than air and settles in low lying areas, natural gas is lighter so it rises and dissipates in the air. Vent the house accordingly if its in a structure, secure all ignition sources, evacuate the area and let the utility company handle the rest, unless they request your assistance for Haz-Mat and such.

Reading what has happened has now made me want to go back to my dept and rethink our response for gas leaks. Currently we roll just our rescue truck and while we have every once in a while wondered why that is it and not add an engine, its never gotten that far. Hopefully after this situation we can reevaluate how we handle these situations. But I am just a lonely lieutenant but can try to persude the chiefs.

Also, we have many members who like to show up at scenes with no gear on and go into houses (old timers and newbies). And this came up at our last meeting and I strongly stressed for everyone to wear their gear, no matter what the call. Hopefully this incident will spread to every dept and member THAT GEAR SAVES LIVES!... We have this gear and these Scott paks... wear them and use them.

helicopper likes this

Stay away from the light switch, and if you need a light, be sure to activate it outside, unless of course it is Class 1, but do most people really know what that is? Also the explosive range for Natural gas is very tight, if you look at the amount of explosions from it and the amount of responses it is quite small. Having a meter with LEL and knowing your conversion factor to natural gas is a great tool, just know how to use it.

Another thing to remember is the gas company meters are not calibrated to LEL. They are to the actual percentage of gas in the air. On the other hand for a factor of safety we set ours to alarm at 10% of the LEL. The confusion can occur when crews are with the utility workers and they say we are getting 8% out of this house and we need to get in. You need to realize that is 8% gas and not 8% of the LEL and you are in the explosive range. The other thing is that these utility workers are professionals and this is all they do (respond to gas leaks). So don't expect them to get excited and that be your indication that something is wrong. Know your meters and know how to work with the utility company at the scene. I don't know of a utility out there that will not come and put on some quality training for you on these topics.

Remember585 likes this

From a forensic standpoint, you can sometimes get an idea from the degree of damage when the gas ignition took place.

If the gas-air ratio was just at the LEL (Lower Explosive Limit=5% gas-in-air) ignition will blow out windows and doors but leave the structure otherwise more or less intact. If the ignition occurred while the gas was venting down from above the UEL (Upper Explosive Limit=15% gas-in-air) you will get a huge fireball and everything combustible will char.

If you get ignition with the fuel-air ratio right in the sweet-spot, in the middle (10%), there will be nothing left but splinters and the rest will be scattered for blocks.

You can never rely on the smell of gas to determine the levels, so you need to measure carefully, and don't operate any switches, on or off.

Good Topic guys! Just out of curiosity there always seems to be a debate on where to position your apparatus. Never heard a clear concise answer from anyone. Do you stop all apparatus before the house? At the beginning of the block? One piece past the residence and one before it? I guess it also depends on what your Dept. SOP is for stretching also. Does your Dept. do a Reverse Lay? Forward Lay? In-Line pumping? Relaying? I'm sure these will all have an influence on where to stage apparatus.

On the other hand for a factor of safety we set ours to alarm at 10% of the LEL.

Thats 10% of the calibrant gas, which is not always the same as the gas you are looking for so there can be a fudge factor.

Also, we have many members who like to show up at scenes with no gear on and go into houses (old timers and newbies).

Very dangerous....

Stay away from the light switch, and if you need a light, be sure to activate it outside, unless of course it is Class 1, but do most people really know what that is? Also the explosive range for Natural gas is very tight, if you look at the amount of explosions from it and the amount of responses it is quite small. Having a meter with LEL and knowing your conversion factor to natural gas is a great tool, just know how to use it.

I'm always leery of "Class 1" certified devices as most often that rating is not carried for the life of the device. What manufacturer backs that after you've dropped the light a few time or exposed it to high temps?

I'm always leery of "Class 1" certified devices as most often that rating is not carried for the life of the device. What manufacturer backs that after you've dropped the light a few time or exposed it to high temps?

Same concept with intrinsically safe radios and cell phones for that matter. Unless you have equipment set aside for these types of emergencies, I wouldn't trust a sticker on a device and assume it is safe.

You have to know the gas you are dealing with. As someone said, propane is heavier than air. Natural gas is lighter. And, just because your area may have natural gas, never assume that someone does not use propane. I have seen both in use at the same house. If you are dealing with a leak inside, shut the gas off where it enters the building (natural) or at the tank for propane.

Count on people to do stupid things.

I'm not sure about natural gas, but the LEL for propane is just 2.7%. It really, really likes 4%.

Everybody knows to call the utility company that supplies natural gas, but do you know all the propane suppliers in your area? Almost any propane company will respond even if it is not their tank or customer just to make things safe.

Had a gas call last night. There was no need to evacuate houses or anything but we did make a drill out of the call while we waited for Con Ed. I have a questions. What is the best way to notify/evacuate residence at night? If you knock on a wood door you should not be at a risk for ignition...but what happens when a door is knocked on at night??? The homeowners turn on lights to make their way to the door. We could call them but they would need to answer their phone. We could use the PA system on the rig but I do not know ho effective this would be especially is staging is a ways from some house. A bullhorn could be used but could also a be a source of ignition. What's the safest bet?

Edited by PFDRes47cue

Thats 10% of the calibrant gas, which is not always the same as the gas you are looking for so there can be a fudge factor.

Yeah it gets even more complicated when your 5 Star is calibrated to pentane and your Altairs are calibrated to methane.

You shouldn't have an Altair and a 5 star if you work in NYC, or a Sirius. !0% for inside, 20 for outside right?

Nobody has mentioned not to press the doorbell button, DON'T.

And as stated above wear your gear, as the Rockland incident pointed out.

Last week I was at a report of odor of gas in the area. After suiting up I noticed our Company Lt. in civies carrying his portable radio around the scene, I asked him if we needed to suit up. His answer to me was no :wacko:.

Google Derby Conn gas explosion,this was another interesting situation.

You shouldn't have an Altair and a 5 star if you work in NYC, or a Sirius. !0% for inside, 20 for outside right?

SOC trucks were initially issued 5 stars they now have Sirius Meters.

The job then got Altairs for all the non soc trucks which were paid for by Con Ed. So technically no truck has both but some do.

And yes the FDNY action levels for natural gas leaks are 10% inside and 20% outside.

Nobody has mentioned not to press the doorbell button, DON'T.

And as stated above wear your gear, as the Rockland incident pointed out.

Last week I was at a report of odor of gas in the area. After suiting up I noticed our Company Lt. in civies carrying his portable radio around the scene, I asked him if we needed to suit up. His answer to me was no :wacko:.

Two things you do for that situation. #1. Protect yourself and set an example for the younger folks who may not know any better. #2. Vote that Lt. out at the next election.

firemoose827 likes this

One HUGE mistake I made last year that gave me one of the closest scares of my career was X-Mas 2010 responding to a well fair check at a residence PD discovered a gas leak from a stove whose pilot light was blown out after the resident had used the stove for heating. PD withdrew from the building and called for the FD. We responded and made entry to discover the resident DOA and had been there for several days making a real nice gas condition. FD made entry again for ventilation so PD could investigate, and started removing several windows by hand. I had by accident clipped my pager while it was still on to the inside of the my gear on the suspenders, while in the IDLH environment the pager alerted (went off) to another call in district inside my bunkers. One of the chiefs I was assisting and I just looked at each other. Thankfully nothing happened and I was told the pagers are safe, but honestly I would not risk it.

Something else to consider when responding to gas emergencies, leave the pager in the rig.

This was a lesson in what not to do that could have cost me and my chief our lives.