Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Terrible Tarrytown Structures Revisited

15 posts in this topic

When I drive through Tarrytown, I've always been fascinated at the wide variety of the structures they have, and the challenges they face firefighters. As a matter of fact, we actually used photos of structures in Tarrytown in my probie class as a learning tool.

This is one example. This is in Riverside Hose's first due, and I think the rearmount stick, I forget the number. This looks like it could be an IC's nightmare. I was going through my photos, and figured I'd share it.

On a side note, has Tarrytown ordered a new aerial for that company? If so, what did they go with?

post-11-0-09357600-1317418445.jpg

Last I heard Ladder 37 did order a new truck I heard they went with Smeal hopefully someone from Tarrytown can confirm this

The new ladder 37 is a Smeal. some time next summer there looking at the delivery date. Im not sure of this address but our mid mount tower would work there.

Nevermind the building check out the steep hills around the property!

Someone from Tarrytown help me out-doesn't the front of the building make it look like it's only two atories? I don't have photos, unfortunately.

HAH!

I helped a very good friend move out of that very property last winter. On a very icy day. I wasn't sorry to see her out of it...

Lovely views, interesting property, but yes a nightmare and somewhat dilapidated! That shot is actually looking at the B/C corner; the A side and main entrance is on the street to the right, with access to both the '1st' and '2nd' floors off the street, going up and down, IIRC. Could be an interesting problem to describe where you were in that pile...

Mike

Interesting structure, can it be a problem ??? sure, but thats the job of the local FD to get out and know the buildings it covers... You can not know eveything, and know how each was built, but a general knowledge can go a long way...

As far as it being dilapidated why would you say that ??? it looks well built.. yeah the porches look scarey but from the picture they all look structurely stable and straight... the paint looks fresh as there are not stains from water wear, so maybe the owner takes care of the building... Plus its an older building and most of them were over built, not like the homes of today...

Face it, this is the area we live in, the Hudson River Valley, things were built on steep slopes and many things are not as they appear... bottom line is we need to get to know our areas, remind everyone of floors which are " below " the ground floor, and the Engineering Depts. need to make sure structures are sound... My biggest fear is that Cape house which is loaded with years of memories and junk...

efdcapt115 likes this

the above picture is on Franklin street when you go down to the train station in tarrytown. I saw it this morning when I was driving to the station and remebered the photo from here.

Chris

As far as it being dilapidated why would you say that ??? it looks well built.. yeah the porches look scarey but from the picture they all look structurely stable and straight...

Don't forget, I've been inside it... not in great shape, dodgy floors as I recall, and some 'interesting' alterations. Looks not too bad from the outside I grant you, but inside it's not a very pretty picture. I *liked* it - lovely views from those huge wraparound porches, interesting and different - but if I owned it I'd need to spend a lot of money to be comfortable in it.

Mike

Edited by abaduck

As far as it being dilapidated why would you say that ??? it looks well built.. yeah the porches look scarey but from the picture they all look structurely stable and straight... the paint looks fresh as there are not stains from water wear, so maybe the owner takes care of the building... Plus its an older building and most of them were over built, not like the homes of today...

Never judge a book by it's cover.

Say Tarrytown is committed at another working fire, and a similar structure comes in. The relocated companies may not know this property all that well.

That's why a proper size up is always vital.

And, Tarrytown has more than it's share of these types of buildings throughout the village. It's a good learning tool just to put a photo up, get people thhinking a little, what would they do if they approached something similar?

...what would they do if they approached something similar?

Blaspheme, in all honesty!

Mke

When I drive through Tarrytown, I've always been fascinated at the wide variety of the structures they have, and the challenges they face firefighters. As a matter of fact, we actually used photos of structures in Tarrytown in my probie class as a learning tool.

This is one example. This is in Riverside Hose's first due, and I think the rearmount stick, I forget the number. This looks like it could be an IC's nightmare. I was going through my photos, and figured I'd share it.

On a side note, has Tarrytown ordered a new aerial for that company? If so, what did they go with?

post-11-0-09357600-1317418445.jpg

I was born and raised in Tarrytown and I know right where this building is. If I remember correctly there is no way to get to the rear of the building with and engine or truck seeing that the back side of the house is a hugh hill that leads down to Franklin Courts

From the original thread:

http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=22254

From today's online Journal News:

Tarrytown house fire: Ceiling collapse injures firefighter

The entire hillside of Franklin Street in Tarrytown is an access nightmare. The house in question is at the NW intersection of Franklin & Windle Park. To go back, in the 1930's or 40's,not exactly sure. There was a terrible fire at the Windlemere Inn. Freezing ,wet with winds blowing in directly from the Hudson River. Lots of frostbite due to lack of proper protection that was unavailable at the time. The Inn was on the westside of Windle Park and had direct exposure to the winds/snow from the river.My father was a member at that time of TFD and had the old newspaper articles of the fire.

Don't forget, I've been inside it... not in great shape, dodgy floors as I recall, and some 'interesting' alterations. Looks not too bad from the outside I grant you, but inside it's not a very pretty picture. I *liked* it - lovely views from those huge wraparound porches, interesting and different - but if I owned it I'd need to spend a lot of money to be comfortable in it.

Mike

I was waiting to see some more comments but the first thing that came to my mind about that structure was I don't find it intimidating or any more concerning then any other building I would deal with. Sure the porch in the rear makes it look rather complicated but if you study it its just a weird configuration that they added some coverings over time.

As far as it being dilapitated...that's any building we could end up in and is something you need to take note of immediately upon arrival and as you go. But the initial post was about the outside which there are a few things to note but nothing I find spectacular in general operational terms.

We can also what if anything in regards to operations. Sure mutual aid may have to answer a call to such a structure or any structure but the 3 incident priorities always remain the same and nothing....nothing...substitutes for a good, solid complete size up and this includes information communicated from crews operating and reporting as they go. I'm looking at this photo and couldn't tell you something about maybe 4 buildings in Tarrytown and I wouldn't fret if I had to pull up to this building tomorrow with smoke pouring out of it.

But..the comment about mutual aid is an interesting one. How many departments send back a liason or keep one of their own companies in service to handle calls that may occur in addition to an incident they're handling with other units? If you're not..perhaps its time to consider it.

Bnechis likes this