Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newsbuff

NYPD Officer is shot in the head but its expected to recover

13 posts in this topic

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/01/10287851-nypd-cop-is-shot-in-the-head-expected-to-make-full-recovery

A New York City police officer is expected to make a full recovery after being shot in the head while chasing a suspect in Brooklyn, authorities said.

Officer Kevin Brennan, 29, remains in critical but stable condition at Bellevue Hospital following an emergency surgery Tuesday night in which doctors removed a bullet from his skull.

"It could have turned out an awful lot worse, and I think it's just another example of the men and women out in the streets every day and every night, trying to keep us safe," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at a hospital news briefing Tuesday evening.

Incredible.

99subi and ACEast like this

Thank God he is going to survive..prayers for a speedy recovery supposedly he has a 6 week old baby. I truly hope the perps involved get what's coming.

BFD1054 and helicopper like this

Maybe some LE guys or gun aficionados can explain this one to me. How often do you get rounds that don't fully fire like that? I'm guessing there was either insufficient or damaged powder in the cartridge. I'm sure the skells weren't working with the highest quality rounds or maintaining the weapon with the strictest of care, but I'd think an incompletely loaded round would be pretty easy to catch during manufacture.

BigBuff likes this

Maybe some LE guys or gun aficionados can explain this one to me. How often do you get rounds that don't fully fire like that? I'm guessing there was either insufficient or damaged powder in the cartridge. I'm sure the skells weren't working with the highest quality rounds or maintaining the weapon with the strictest of care, but I'd think an incompletely loaded round would be pretty easy to catch during manufacture.

I don't see where the article says the round didn't fully fire... but if that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised. I was recently talking with an NYPD officer who was talking about all the guns he gets off people and he said most are in terrible condition: rusted and never cleaned. Thank god. Hopefully this guy rots for life in prison.

I'm assuming the round didn't fully go off. I can't think of another way to get shot in the head at close range, and not only survive but suffer no major trauma.

Perp is a Latin Kings member, during the "perp walk" he was chanting the usual nonsense to his fellow dirtbags.

This POS should have never even been on the street to begin with, but you can thank the liberal judges for that! Today's Post said that this Skell had FOURTEEN prior arrests since 2006. One of the arrests was for an armed robbery that this Skell and another Mutt committed last year, then sliced that guys face open..............WHY was he on the street to begin with.................Unfortunately, he'll probably be hailed as a martyr in Rikers for shooting a cop...........what he SHOULD be getting is a daily a** raping! So tired of reading about these career MUTTS who continue to committ serious crimes, and these Liberal POS judges barely give these guys a slap on the wrist, let alone jail time...............:angry:

BFD1054, 25truck26, x129K and 2 others like this

It does happen from time to time. I can think of a couple of occassions at Rodman's Neck where guys have gotten rounds with the primer missing. I know a couple of years ago there was a problem with bullets seperating from the casings which could lead to the full loss of gunpowder or reduction in power to the bullet as some of the gas would escape. I have seen articles in magazines that say ammunition used in concealed carry weapons be changed more often due to heat/moisture from being close to the body. Also rounds that are chambered/unchambered repeatedly such as a semi-automatic that is unloaded everyday should be replaced more often as the loading/unloading can effect the seal of the bullet to the casing. Im on my cell right now but when I get a chance I will see if i can find links to some of these articles

BFD1054 likes this

This POS should have never even been on the street to begin with, but you can thank the liberal judges for that! Today's Post said that this Skell had FOURTEEN prior arrests since 2006. One of the arrests was for an armed robbery that this Skell and another Mutt committed last year, then sliced that guys face open..............WHY was he on the street to begin with.................Unfortunately, he'll probably be hailed as a martyr in Rikers for shooting a cop...........what he SHOULD be getting is a daily a** raping! So tired of reading about these career MUTTS who continue to committ serious crimes, and these Liberal POS judges barely give these guys a slap on the wrist, let alone jail time...............:angry:

Here we go again...there's more to the justice system than just judges. How about the ADA who didn't choose to prosecute? How about the Grand Jury that didn't indight? How about the cops who never found enough evidence to help make a good case? How about witnesses who are too scared or choose not to come forward? How about the fact that NYS law does not allow for preventative detention? Granted there are judges who should hang up the robes, but it's an incomplete picture blame every single crime committed by a guy with a record on judges. That being said, I'm glad the officer is on his way to to speedy recovery and I hope this particular crime is enough to land this knucklehead a long tour of NYS facilities.

Edited by nycemt728

The problems with prosecution are Liberal judges, elected DA's who are more concerned with their prescious conviction rate than with actually putting criminals in jail and the biggest problem of all is PLEA BARGAINS.

The problem isn't the cops, we know how to do our jobs and gather what we need from an arrest and for prosecution but all too often we aren't supported on the prosecution level.

The other problem is s**tbag defense attorneys that will defend the scum of the earth for a few bucks. I understand that everyone is entitled to be represented but when there is overwhelming evidence of guilt, to try to keep that person out of jail is not helping anyone except the perp.

Edited by crime cop
efdcapt115 likes this

elected DA's who are more concerned with their prescious conviction rate than with actually putting criminals in jail and the biggest problem of all is PLEA BARGAINS.

The problem isn't the cops, we know how to do our jobs and gather what we need from an arrest and for prosecution but all too often we aren't supported on the prosecution level.

You nailed it right here. Too often I see prosecutors doing backflips for plea deals because they're guaranteed convictions. The most conservative judge in the world can't lock someone up for the crime they committed if the DA presents a "fair and reasonable" deal. That really just means, that so long as the plea is fair to the perp it is approved. I've only seen one case out of dozens that resulted from calls I was on or cases involving injured MOS that went to trial and that was only because the dummy didn't take the no brainer plea. For a little while I went out with Bronx ADA, and EVERYTHING was about clearing cases. The only way to keep your job is to negotiate. Go to trial too often and not only do you get buried with more cases but you will soon find yourself out of a job.

grumpyff likes this

You nailed it right here. Too often I see prosecutors doing backflips for plea deals because they're guaranteed convictions. The most conservative judge in the world can't lock someone up for the crime they committed if the DA presents a "fair and reasonable" deal. That really just means, that so long as the plea is fair to the perp it is approved. I've only seen one case out of dozens that resulted from calls I was on or cases involving injured MOS that went to trial and that was only because the dummy didn't take the no brainer plea. For a little while I went out with Bronx ADA, and EVERYTHING was about clearing cases. The only way to keep your job is to negotiate. Go to trial too often and not only do you get buried with more cases but you will soon find yourself out of a job.

Yup, plea bargins are a big problem, just as the DA going for the the lesser charge (and consequently less jail time) to get the conviction rather than risk the aquittal. Judges have the right to (and do) reject any and all deals agreed to by the parties that are just absurd or not in the best interest of justice. I would hold the DA's more responsible than I would judges.

Edited by nycemt728