Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PCFD ENG58

Tell me what this is ?

34 posts in this topic

My guess. An American Lafrance city service ladder truck, 1942

Looks like it is in the back of circleville....

I think that is the rig that responded to my house when we had a chimney fire the saturday morning after Christmas 1981!

Okay, first off it is not a city service truck, you can see the stabilizer piston on the left side running board. With that style only going down and not out, it has to be around a 1930s model year. Also you can see a piston right behind the driver's position thus giving a hint that this was a straight framed aerial ladder truck, or some sort of crane type vehicle. I can't tell if the rear wheels are "tillered" as many straight framed aerial ladders of that era were made this way. I would suspect that this was a wooden aerial ladder truck or early metal aerial ladder.

The rig's body and chassis looks similar to Toronto's ALF Type 233 Service Truck but for some reason I don't think its an ALF. Seagrave never built a complete rig like this with the engine out before the front wheels but I do believe it could be a Autocar or early FWD chassis.

Angelo, is this all original or did this get a "rehab" at some point? The round front fenders are throwing me off.

antiquefirelt likes this

Im not that smart when it comes to ID'ing trucks like that, but the thing to the right is a John Deere Model 330N Front End Loader... :rolleyes::D

firedude, IzzyEng4 and fireboyny like this

Okay, first off it is not a city service truck, you can see the stabilizer piston on the left side running board. With that style only going down and not out, it has to be around a 1930s model year. Also you can see a piston right behind the driver's position thus giving a hint that this was a straight framed aerial ladder truck, or some sort of crane type vehicle. I can't tell if the rear wheels are "tillered" as many straight framed aerial ladders of that era were made this way. I would suspect that this was a wooden aerial ladder truck or early metal aerial ladder.

The rig's body and chassis looks similar to Toronto's ALF Type 233 Service Truck but for some reason I don't think its an ALF. Seagrave never built a complete rig like this with the engine out before the front wheels but I do believe it could be a Autocar or early FWD chassis.

Angelo, is this all original or did this get a "rehab" at some point? The round front fenders are throwing me off.

All original ! and maple tree is leading so far but a few are getting close !

You aren't thinking outside the box. You are identifying a fire engine. You should be identifying a process. The process is oxidation. It is converting steel into iron oxide. Keep looking. If the process somehow speeds up and becomes fast enough to produce heat and visible light, it will be a fire. When you see it happen, make sure you post it so we all can see.

(The maple tree would then become Exposure C)

Edited by wraftery
ny10570, Bnechis and JetPhoto like this

You aren't thinking outside the box. You are identifying a fire engine. You should be identifying a process. The process is oxidation. It is converting steel into iron oxide. Keep looking. If the process somehow speeds up and becomes fast enough to produce heat and visible light, it will be a fire. When you see it happen, make sure you post it so we all can see.

(The maple tree would then become Exposure C)

Wow see what happens with no hometeam football !

post-289-0-03188000-1328722283.jpg

Ok... I'll go again... 1925 Christie /Type 33 American Lafrance ( lafrance-foamite)Front drive straight frame ladder truck, that had the hard rubber tires replaced . -

Wow see what happens with no hometeam football !

THEY don't have a hometown football team in Virginia. I,on the other hand,have the NY Giants because I am a New Yorker (pronounced Yan-kee).

PCFD ENG58 likes this

The front looks like an old Mack Bulldog or Walter.

I say 1939-ish Walter up front. Fender shape and front frame location look remarkably similar.

I'm pretty sure it was a FWD. It was quartered at 492 Broadway with Engine 3. Don't know if it is this truck, but it looks similar

post-15248-0-03462100-1328737811.jpg

sfrd18 and IzzyEng4 like this

What make,model,year ? We have a lot of smart people here so start thinking !

Where Did U Find It It Look Like A Fun Truch To Restore ?

According to Mark Simiele's book "Walter 100% traction" Part 1, Walter probably made only one straight frame aerial ladder for Newburgh FD, a 1939 ,with a Pirsch Duralumin 65 foot ladder. Sold to a Diamond Reo dealer in the 60's and the rig was scrapped in the late 70's. Where and when is that picture from?

IzzyEng4 likes this

THEY don't have a hometown football team in Virginia. I,on the other hand,have the NY Giants because I am a New Yorker (pronounced Yan-kee).

Unless you are a fan of the Bills then you don't have a hometown team. The Giants and Jets are based in, and play in New Jersey. On behalf on the overburden taxpayers of NJ we would like to thank NYC for picking up the tab for the ticker tape parade yesterday.

Edited by NJMedic

What make,model,year ? We have a lot of smart people here so start thinking !

Do you KNOW the answer?

Newburgh's rig was in service into the 70s, I believe. It was loaned to New Windsor FD, who remotored it, and then re-aquired by Newburgh

IzzyEng4 likes this

Newburgh's rig was in service into the 70s, I believe. It was loaned to New Windsor FD, who remotored it, and then re-aquired by Newburgh

Newburgher has it right ! some prety good answers here on a truck that is very rare. It was bought as a parts truck for the drive line. Bronxfireraido has the year and make and WCDES-FTA nailed it ! Good job by all.Looking to find another photo that I have for the next one.

Wow, a truck that old in use through the '70's. Cool.

Where is it? Would love to come check it out

Under lock and key at the warehouse with the rest of the 300 + rigs in Circleville N.Y. We have a show in june that is open.