Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Good Ol' Ground Ladders

13 posts in this topic

There are many communities throughout the region that don't have an aerial device, whether it be a truck, quint, snorkel, whatever.

How do these departments compensate? Do they carry extra ladders on their Engines or rescues?

Is there any department that still operates a City Service Truck or Quad?

West Haven Center District's volunteers have "Truck" 26, which carries an extended complement of ground ladders. I believe it is classified as a "City Service Truck." When WHFD's career division Truck 22 is out of service, they use T26 in place and have an added aerial from one of the other two districts cover for any box with reported smoke or fire.

There are many communities throughout the region that don't have an aerial device, whether it be a truck, quint, snorkel, whatever.

How do these departments compensate? Do they carry extra ladders on their Engines or rescues?

There are many communities around here that own an aerial but;

1) They never get it on the road

2) By the time they get it on the road, the hose is already down and they park it up the block

3) They do not have the staffing to do anything but drive it to the scene and park it, because they are needed on the line.

4) And my fav.....They get there fast with manpower and the chief says: "Keep the truck out, we do not want it to block out the engines" (I heard this a 3 different working fires).

How many depts. own a truck vs. how many have a truck company?

BFD1054, helicopper and IzzyEng4 like this

I'm just curious about ground ladders. Seems like they collect dust, and many people choose to focus on the "truck company" and aerial apparatus part of it, and forget the ground ladder is one of the core functions of a truck company. Except Boston, look at any of their fire scenes, lol.

I'm curious about more suburban-rural communities that depend mostly on ground ladders handle carrying a variety of ladders to compensate for the lack of a truck company.

I'm just curious about ground ladders. Seems like they collect dust, and many people choose to focus on the "truck company" and aerial apparatus part of it, and forget the ground ladder is one of the core functions of a truck company. Except Boston, look at any of their fire scenes, lol.

I'm curious about more suburban-rural communities that depend mostly on ground ladders handle carrying a variety of ladders to compensate for the lack of a truck company.

But taking a ride in the bucket looks so much better on the front cover of the local newspaper.

texastom791 likes this

But taking a ride in the bucket looks so much better on the front cover of the local newspaper.

So does pouring water on a commercial roof* from 75'-100' feet up, but put the bucket at the curb and attack the underside of the roof through the bay window will actually do something.

* read " a water proof structure that is designed to shead water.

So does pouring water on a commercial roof* from 75'-100' feet up, but put the bucket at the curb and attack the underside of the roof through the bay window will actually do something.

* read " a water proof structure that is designed to shead water.

Exactly. That involves thought and planning.

How many depts. own a truck vs. how many have a truck company?

Better question is to ask who has people who staff the truck and operate off of it. The reason I say this is because a one company department may have a truck but not a "truck company."

Ground ladders is a basic firefighter skill overall...not just a "truck company" focus. Most departments in this area do not have the resources to run as function based crews...but rather have to operate as skill based. So no matter what you may wear on your shirt or what "company" you belong to....basics are basics.

texastom791, nysff and PFDRes47cue like this

Many departments, including their leaders, do not undertsand the mission of a truck company, do not take it into consideration when designing an attack plan, do not train adequately or appropriately with it and do not fund it properly.

waful and Bnechis like this

Many departments, including their leaders, do not undertsand the mission of a truck company, do not take it into consideration when designing an attack plan, do not train adequately or appropriately with it and do not fund it properly.

Great points but a different outlook that goes with my just before yours.

Many departments PARTICULARLY their "leaders" do not understand the purpose and importance of ground ladders, aerial operations and ventilation when making an IAP, and do not train adequately, appropriately or often enough with them. The thought process of "relying on the "truck company"" is one of the biggest misunderstandings and mistakes they can make.

I'm not sure what you mean by the funding it properly part.

Seems like they collect dust, and many people choose to focus on the "truck company" and aerial apparatus part of it, and forget the ground ladder is one of the core functions of a truck company. Except Boston, look at any of their fire scenes, lol.

Except Boston? I hope it is sarcasm. There are plenty of departments that throw plently of "portables" as we call them. Look at DC and it's suburbs they throw as many as Boston.

I always had the ladders out any Saturday I worked as a Lieutenant. We washed them and put them up. 1. They collect a ton of dust in the tunnel under the aerial. 2. Just simple maintainence finds halyard issues and even gets the members proficient in tying it.

But to the jist of the arguement I think the opposite is true. Too many suburban departments do truck work to be like "the city". When in fact their best bet with the limited initial manpower is to put the fire out. If I know I was always going to show up with 5 or 6 I would get my guys hyper competent in engine work. Unfortunatly the primary search will have to wait for knockdown. Primary without water on the fire will not work.

791075 and Alpinerunner like this

In my department (Harwinton,CT) we have NO ladder/tower/tiller/snorkel device. Our tallest building is a 2 1/2 story residential and 2 churches with large steeples. We are surrounded by 2 towers 2 straight sticks and a quint, but that doesnt matter when neighboring town mutual aid is 15 mins on a good day away, like someone said before start laying LDH and setting up tanker shuttles its over. you cant utilize it unless room is left and that is the last thing on some peoples mind. We do however carry a 14' 24' and 35' extension ladder on our Engine, 14' and 24' on our rescue. The other dept in town YES i said dept not company but thats another story carrys an 16' 26' and a 36' on one of the engines, another 16' and 26' on another engine and on the 3rd engine (pond engine) has a 14' and 24' and 36 feet of hard suction.