Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cbfire25

MTA Police ESU Trucks

14 posts in this topic

Hey All-

Yesterday we had an incident involving Metro North rail lines, and as part of the MTA response this 'MTA Police ESU' vehicle responded. The incident turned out to be minor in nature, but I was wondering what this unit is for and what its capabilities are? Is it designed to be similar to NYPD ESU units? Does it have an rescue capabilities? Where is it coming from? My company covers a stretch of rail and we seem to get incidents involving the rails or trains on a yearly basis, so it would be beneficial to know what resources are available and their capabilities for response planning. Thanks in advance!

downsized_0220121730+%282%29.jpg

downsized_0220121730a+%282%29.jpg

Edited by cbfire25
firedude and sfrd18 like this

I would have to assume there is more then one on patrol at any given moment. I typically see MTA ESU outside MSG. That would be a heck of a response otherwise.

I would have to assume there is more then one on patrol at any given moment. I typically see MTA ESU outside MSG. That would be a heck of a response otherwise.

Also see one on occasion at the Fordham Rd Metro north station.

They operate much like other PD's Emergency Service Units by providing specialized assistance including tactical and rescue services with specific emphasis on rail incidents.

If you have specific questions, give the local MTA precinct a call and ask to speak to one their ESU officers. I'm sure they'll answer all your questions.

They operate much like other PD's Emergency Service Units by providing specialized assistance including tactical and rescue services with specific emphasis on rail incidents.

If you have specific questions, give the local MTA precinct a call and ask to speak to one their ESU officers. I'm sure they'll answer all your questions.

Thank you gentlemen! Thats what I was looking for. I did not know that MTA had units like this that will travel this far for responses.

MTA has a lot of vehicles parked at MSG becuase of Penn Station. MTA has a whole assortment of specialty vehicles including a nice HAZ-MAT truck which I believe is Ferrara...

Where is it coming from?

Either Stamford, CT or Mt. Vernon, NY. I think those are their closest "precincts".

I typically see MTA ESU outside MSG.

Everytime I pass Penn Station/MSG I always see a lot of Amtrak PD, not so much MTA PD. If you want to see MTA PD, go to Grand Central.

Edited by firedude

Either Stamford, CT or Mt. Vernon, NY. I think those are their closest "precincts".

I don't think Stamford has an ESU unit running out of there, its very rare to see MTAPD ESU in CT except for Homeland Security VIPER details and things of that nature. The Commanding Officer for MTAPD in CT is out of New Haven Union State I believe, a Captain. I've seen MTA ESU there once or twice during the holidays or heightened alert times, but mostly just the Patrol and K9 guys.

MTAPD has "precincts" in New Haven Union Station, Bridgeport and Stamford from what I understand.

Someone also mentioned Amtrak PD. Amtrak PD has a Special Operations Unit (SOU) in NYC but none in the New England Division that covers CT, MA, RI, NH, VT and ME. If SOU is needed for special details, etc, they would be brought in from New York. They have a decent patrol contingent and a large K9 unit in CT.

firedude likes this

MTA has a lot of vehicles parked at MSG becuase of Penn Station.

Yes I know that Penn Station is under MSG. I wasn't under the impresion that MTA PD was sneaking into Ranger/Knick games. LIRR is a MTA operation and I would suspect that is who they are dealing with at Penn.

Aforementioned ESU ERP outside Penn Station....

post-3609-0-32906300-1329937396.jpg

firedude likes this

I thought I'd read that the unit had been disbanded just goes to show that you shouldn't believe everything you read

on a totally unrelated note if anyone knows where I can get one of them MTA ESU patches I'll love you forever

Edited by kevinrichardeaton