Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

FDNY New Rescue 7....And It's Gonna Be A Pierce Arrow XT!!

44 posts in this topic

Recently, I got some awesome inside information from a very good friend who's also a very reliable and well-connected source.

FDNY.....who are very unhappy with the E-One/Saulsbury's and their downtime, is planning to buy a new Rescue to be assigned as a spare, and also as a protype for future purchases. The plan is to purchase this with WMD grant money.

Here's the best part.....it's looking like it is going to be a Pierce Arrow XT!!! (Pierce's new Heavy Duty urban chasis) Dealer will be FireMatic, of Long Island. And there is a blueprint of this unit in circulation.

The Pierce Arrow XT biggest user is LA City FD, which has several engines on this chasis, with over 20 more slated for delivery over the next year, as well as new USAR units and possibly other new units on this chasis. Other users include Providence, RI and Clifton, NJ. This is also my favorite fire apparatus chasis.

It'll be a spare, but watch how soon it gets put into front line service once one of those E-Ones break down again.

I always thought E-One was reliable. I guess I was wrong.

wolfemt , EONE CLASS A JUNK. FORCED TO TAKE A ENGINE IN PORT CHESTER. ENG 58 WAS OUT OF SERVICE MORE THEN IN. IT WAS THE FIRST E ONE IN COUNTY AND NEVER ON THE USER LIST SO OTHER DEPTS. COULD ASK ABOUT. FINALY REPLACED AFTER 7 YEARS PCFD ENG58

You would have thought the FDNY would have learned after the E-One Demo rig back in the mid 90's.

Some E-Ones are good, others(most) are POS's. I am excited to see FDNY starting to run Pierce, maybe it will be a foot in the door for pierce in NYC? Could there be a Demo Pierce Engine running around New York soon? Only time will tell.

nothing's been signed yet... might happen, might not happen, but nothing's signed yet. I have lots of blueprints for rigs that were ultimately never built, but were engineered and seriously talked about. The E-1's are for sh*t, always out of service, so they need to do something. this might be it, if it happens.

I have heard rumors about frame and or body cracks--could this be true??? They do take a beating but seriously--gotta be a better way!!!

Is this an E-One thing or and Saulsbury thing? Saulsbury Is still the best Rescue around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Keep the box. lose the chassis

I think it was mainly chassis and body mounts to the chassis. Saulsbury is the best BUT for how long since E-One bought them?????

They also closed down the plant in Cuse now all the work is done in Florida, not the same workers :-k

that is great i love Pierce i really would love to see a seagrave rescue

Actually, the inside word is that this Pierce Rescue is going to be tested out by Rescue 1.

I was suprised FDNY went with the E-One/Salsbury in the first place. Coming from an all Pierce dept. I think it would be awesome to see Pierce running in NYC. I know the one post said there is a blueprint of the truck in circulation but does anyone have and word on size and features this truck will have?

I was the truck committee chairman for our new Saulsbury delivered in April, 2004. I heard the body crack issue was unique to how Saulsbury bodies were attached to the E-one chassis. This wasn't a problem with the Spartan, thankfully. At the time, Saulsbury was Spartan's largest customer.

I think our heavy rescue was among the last to be built in Preble, NY. They had a lot of pumpers and ladders being built, but not many trucks that were simply heavy-rescues.

Working with Saulsbury after they were bought by Federal was a real nightmare. We had some significant quality issues, too, most of which we've resolved. I hope things have improved, but I haven't heard any stories in the past year since our machine was delivered. Fortunately, now that the bugs are worked out, the truck is a dream.

r44_portrait_halfsize.jpg

Joe

Darien FD (CT)

PS: We opted not to get the stairs, and I'm glad. It's a partial walk-through, with very usable space. Look for it at Katonah, Mamaroneck, Mt Kisco, and Bedford!

If any company should be the test--it is definately Rescue 1!!! They will for sure put it to the test

all right check out this truck this should be tested for FDNY it is perfect its a seagrave and its a walk thru

1734%20web.jpg

The reason they went with the E-one Chassis is because E-one was the only company who could step up and get the rigs built in a short period of time, to the specifications designed by the late Capt. Hatton of R-1. Seagrave was overloaded with all the replacement rigs following the 11th. I'm interested in seeing how this rig, when built, holds up to the beating it's going to get. R-1 and R-2 do the most running around, I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them get it to really put it through its paces. The E-ones are chock full of problems as 290/103 said, however, when they ran right, they were a pretty smooth ride in the back.

IMHO, no matter which manufacturer you go with there are going to be problems. They, fdny, will keep going through different Rescue pieces until they find one that presents the least problems. It is good to see that they are trying different manufacturers to solve this problem. I wouldnt be surprised if in the next few years you see five different Rescues as first due apparatus. Until they find something that is solid I think they will keep experimenting. Everyone has pros and cons but its hard to find something that fits into everyones perfect world.

That Berwyn Heights Squad is a nasty rig... Then again, it turns out of Prince Georges County, MD on the D.C. border. Some of the busiest and best vollie departments in the country are located there. They take a lot of time to spec apparatus, as they get put to the test every day in a major way on the Capital Beltway.

In my opinion, Saulsbury went down as soon as E-One / FSS bought them. They are / were a great truck but it seems they have more problems now. Sounds like ALF / LTI also. Just my 2 cents.

rescue 1 def. will put it to the test, but i'm also going say rescue 3 will do as good of a job

all right check out this truck this should be tested for FDNY it is perfect its a seagrave and its a walk thru

1734%20web.jpg

Just FYI

It's not a walk through, it' a walk in and the cab has storage compartments behind the driver / officer. Just go to BWVFD 14's web site.

A walk through would be line FDNY's old HME's where they can walk from the cab to the back box.

any new info on this rig?

New info, yeah don't believe the "rumors" until you actually see something in service.

Pierce has been in the city before.Does anybody remember that R-1,R-3 and R-4 ran 1979 Mack R's,with Pierce bodies? These were delivered in 1980, they ran until they were replaced in 1988 by the Mack/Saulsbury units

Pierce has been in the city before.Does anybody remember that R-1,R-3 and R-4 ran 1979 Mack R's,with Pierce bodies? These were delivered in 1980, they ran until they were replaced in 1988 by the Mack/Saulsbury units

Yeah, and Pierce is still in the city with HazMat 1's utility. The kenworth/pierce....still doesn't mean the rumors are true. They have been floating around for almost a year now, and still NO RESCUE!

FDNY 2006 Pierce Arrow XT Demo Rescue

post-3870-1139963274.gif

Edited by PFDENG1

i was at the pierce factory a year ago and thier dying to get thier foot in the door to fdny. nice rig hope they get it!