Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JJB531

NYC to Pay 128M for FDNY Discrimination "Damages"

8 posts in this topic

So if your a minority and you got higher than a 25% you can claim damages? A 25!!

Never mind the test. Lets just give them the job. Why bother even seeing if they can do the job at this rate.

As long as I have been in the fire service, I know that firefighting is won by aggressive strategies and not aggresive tactics. Thats what make the NYC Fire Dept. the greatest department in the world. Every member on the riding list has a pre-assignment of tools he/she is bringing and where they're going. To affect these procedures, one needs to be able to read and comprehend those assignments and be ready to make split second decisions. So to say that the test was bias because it's asking a person whether they can read or comprehend is preposterous!!!

It's my belief that minorities who have not been given the opportunities to learn reading and comprehension are indeed a fault of society over centuries. However, that in no way means they're entitled to a job which involves such inherent risk of their own lives, the lives of our brothers, and the lives of civilians we're sworn to protect. Maybe this judge should look at other entrance exams to other city jobs...everyone on this earth is here to do a job and i am not here to take away from what anyone does, but you don't need to read and comprehend how to do many many other city jobs which are inherently much safer where an employee won't get others hurt or maimed. Maybe that is why other agencies have become so diversified and not the fire department. If you want to help people, give them jobs where they cannot hurt themselves or anyone else but not the fire department. If there's one glitch in the machine, it breaks down. If you cannot read and comprehend, you cannot understand the job and if you cannot do your job as a firefighter...people die! Thats a fact! AND i pray this is not the outcome but it is sadly inevidible......

It's sad for all the people on the job who actually earned the right to put on such a prestigious uniform and didn't feel they were "entitled" to it.

PCFD ENG58 and BFD1054 like this

It's funny, they make you feel all good when that nice lady from DCAS calls and wishes you luck on test day. Not worth the aggravation if you ask me, getting that masters is looking better and better.

Listen, this is just blustering and good stuff for the papers to print. This is the first OUTLANDISH shot fired in a long war. This will be in court for years to come. There is no way that the city is going to pay out like that, nor are they going to allow this kind of precedent to be set. All that has happened is that one lunatic judge with an agenda has put his personal stamp on this case. It's going to be appealed and then appealed again and you may very well see this case dragged all the way to the Supreme Court of the U.s. for review.

If you're trying to get on the job, try not to worry about this stuff. It doesn't REALLY effect you or the chances you have on this next test. Just shoot for a top notch score and get yourself through the academy and onto this job. After you've done all that you can focus on keeping the integrity of this job for the future. There are plenty of us here who are looking at preserving it for the future, be it with Merit Matters or Pension issues this Tuesday in Albany. If you're a test candidate, take the exam and worry about doing well and staying in shape. You'll have a long career of getting into this job in every facet should you do well on this month's test.