Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newsbuff

Fireball engulfs FF during RV fire

5 posts in this topic

Go to the 1:20 mark.

Watched this, and immediately thought of that Armonk car fire video.

ALWAYS WEAR YOUR PPE, because you just don't know what might happen next.

sueg and 99subi like this

It pays to suit up at EVERY call, I do.

Here is a link to an article that I read in my copy of Firehouse magazine http://www.firehouse.com/article/10625014/speak-up-3-12. The Captain of this Engine Company required his crew to suit up on EVERY call, EVERY response and the rest is in this article.

Some serious pucker factor there...

x4093k likes this

And that looks like it was just the gasoline tank failing, Could have been a lot worst if it was the LPG tanks.

Edited by jack10562

Vehicle fires 101? The very second that video started the first thing that pops to mind is: significant downward slope and you don't anticipate a flow of fuel? This might hurt.

It pays to suit up at EVERY call, I do.

Here is a link to an article that I read in my copy of Firehouse magazine http://www.firehouse...4/speak-up-3-12. The Captain of this Engine Company required his crew to suit up on EVERY call, EVERY response and the rest is in this article.

When I first red this in the hard copy magazine I was dismayed by the feeble justification for not donning PPE for any alarm:

"Fire crews typically will not don turnout gear on such “nuisance” calls as, more often than not, the alarm company calls back with a disregard."

While the article shows the one Capt. wouldn't accept a lackadaisical attitude, it sort of shows that the "rest" of the department and it's admin do. Maybe it's a little difficult to find fault with crews dressing down, when the admin drops alarm calls to single engine non-emergency responses.

"The South Bend, IN, Fire Department, in the interest of preventing potential injuries and fatalities that are risked by sending multiple rigs from several stations with full lights and sirens, decided to change the response policy several years ago to send only the nearest pump company, without their lights and sirens."

These guys are starting way behind the "8 ball" with a poorly staffed (like so many of us) single engine responding to an activated fire alarm, to then have to gear up on arrival is amateur in my view. Anyway, good for Capt. Severeid who despite what appears to be everyone else accepting mediocrity, required his crew to perform professionally on every call.

It's foolish at best that some people are totally surprised and caught off guard when they are called out for a fire alarm and actually find a fire.

SteveOFD and Newburgher like this