Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

NFPA Standards On Fire Dispatch

7 posts in this topic

I'm kind of confused.

I've heard NFPA is developing standards for fire service communications? If so, does anyone know how far off this may be from reality?

Also, if your department complies with all NFPA standards, will you require your dispatch center to comply if these standards become a reality?

NFPA 1221: Standard for the Installation, Maintenance, and Use of Emergency Services Communications Systems

It's been around for awhile as I know it was discussed when we moved to a Countywide dispatch system 11-12 years ago. Maybe some new revisions or a separate fireground comms standard?

Do PSAPs fall under NFPA 1221?

Do PSAPs fall under NFPA 1221?

Not as far as I know. Usually all dispatch falls under the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) standards, not NFPA, mainly because ythe majority of dispatch centers are multi-service entities (ie. police, fire, ems, ect.). Therefore in theory, NFPA standards that are existing would be adopted pertaining to fire response calls in addition to the APCO standards.

Not as far as I know. Usually all dispatch falls under the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) standards, not NFPA, mainly because ythe majority of dispatch centers are multi-service entities (ie. police, fire, ems, ect.). Therefore in theory, NFPA standards that are existing would be adopted pertaining to fire response calls in addition to the APCO standards.

However, ISO ratings of the Fire communications is based on NFPA 1221, even if its part of a multi agency center.

16fire5 and antiquefirelt like this

However, ISO ratings of the Fire communications is based on NFPA 1221, even if its part of a multi agency center.

Very true Barry, that is why I stated "in addition too" in my last sentance of my post though I started out "in theory", whihc was a bad choice in wording on my part. I knew I was missing something else. I've been out of dispatching for 5 years so I'm not up to snuff with everything.

Edited by IzzyEng4
Bnechis likes this