peterose313

Ossining Fire Dept. 'family' marks 200 years of service

19 posts in this topic

Great story on OFD. Congrats on 200 years!

Harold Bohlig points to a wall in his apartment that is filled with memorabilia from his years as a firefighter with the Ossining Fire Department and declares, “This is my family.”

There are badges, proclamations, certificates, photographs of his father, Mel Bohlig, who served as a chief, and one of his grandfather, also Mel Bohlig, sitting atop a horse-drawn fire carriage.

Bohlig, who at 87, is the oldest member of the department, joined in 1943. He has fought hundreds of fires, he said, and recalled one at the Croton Aqueduct where he fell and split open his skull.

“Back then, we all worked together,” said Bohlig, a retired mechanic. “We were a family and it was a good cause.”

That idea has sustained through the years with the growth of the all-volunteer fire department that now has nine companies and some 480 members, including many whose families go back generations.

“The camaraderie is still as strong as it ever was and the tradition is still carried on,” said Chief Thomas Reddy.

http://www.lohud.com...&nclick_check=1

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=BH&Dato=20120502&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=305020121&Ref=PH&nclick_check=1

Edit: new link was provided that works now and a photo gallery has been added to the story, which can be viewed on the 2nd link. The original link was taken down and didn't work.

Edited by peterose313
JetPhoto likes this

If your department is attending what rig are they sending

Oss will be debuting their new antique engine from Cataract Hose. I happened to catch a glimpse of it the other day when I was running errands and it was driving around town. The rig is gorgeous! I think they'll be debuting another antique as well. I saw it in the story but the link no longer works. I dunno if the story was removed or what. Hopefully it will be in tomorrow's paper and I can get a copy of the story.

Does anybody know If Peekskill FD Is attending

Somers is bringing their brush truck(MA-14) and one of their ladders(Ladder 48) and maybe one of the chiefs...

FDNY is brining one engine for rememberance of 9/11, and Ossining is bringing 6 rigs..(is what I am told)

Edited by x4093k

Croton FD: Rescue 18, Engines 119 and 120.

East Fishkill Will Have An Engine And A Ladder.

Thomas

Somers is bringing their brush truck(MA-14) and one of their ladders(Ladder 48) and maybe one of the chiefs...

FDNY is brining one engine for rememberance of 9/11, and Ossining is bringing 6 rigs..(is what I am told)

OFD is bringing the entire fleet including 3 antiques and at least 1 hose cart

I passed Ardsley E-165 on my way home from work.

one of the best parades that I have attended congrats to the Ossining fire dept on 200 years of service

I had wanted to take a ride up but other forces prevented this. Congrats on the first 200!

Edited by spin_the_wheel

Does anyone have a Trophy update ?

Does anyone have a Trophy update ?

I know Marlborough won Best Overall but that's all I know.