Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

National Train Day at Grand Central

10 posts in this topic

This Saturday 5/12 is national train day and they are having one of the events at Grand Central. The event runs from 11 am - 4pm. There will be a lot of train equipment on display on the tracks at Grand Central. This will be a really cool event if you or your kids are into trains.

http://www.nationaltrainday.com/events/newyork/

efdcapt115, firedude, 210 and 2 others like this

Why didn't they have this while I lived in NY, lol? Good thing that TX has a TON of rail equipment and trains that I see every day. Still miss the M7's though and want to check out the M8's.

Why didn't they have this while I lived in NY, lol? Good thing that TX has a TON of rail equipment and trains that I see every day. Still miss the M7's though and want to check out the M8's.

This is going on in GCT this year because of station repairs from last summers earth quate at Union Station in Washington DC.

The M8's are nice, hopefully I will never have the displeasure of having to work on them. Not that I don't like the equiptment but the fact of the New Haven Line is the least desirable of the three to run on.

It will be interesting seeing these moves in and out GCT. It will certainly keep the switching crews busy for a few days.

Apparently the whole world has something scheduled this weekend, Some many choices, so little time.

firedude and Beekman like this

I gotta say I don't like the M8s. They sound (and feel) as if the wheels will come right off. The trains shake left to right pretty violently. The older cars may have looked crappy but they seemed like a much more comfortable ride to me.

The New Haven line is a mess, WAY too many stops. There's no reason it should take 2 hours to get to Grand Central. Right down the street from my office, MTA is building a train station in West Haven. Now Orange is discussing building one. So we'll have New Haven - State Street, New Haven Station, West Haven, Orange and Milford all with stations. The train ends up being stopped for longer than its moving.

The really messed up part is none of them have any parking facilities, so you have all these stations and nobody can park at them.

Oh, and the State of CT is raising MTA fares on the New Haven Line. It seems as if they are doing everything they can to make driving to the city seem more desirable... haha.

I gotta say I don't like the M8s. They sound (and feel) as if the wheels will come right off. The trains shake left to right pretty violently. The older cars may have looked crappy but they seemed like a much more comfortable ride to me.

The New Haven line is a mess, WAY too many stops. There's no reason it should take 2 hours to get to Grand Central. Right down the street from my office, MTA is building a train station in West Haven. Now Orange is discussing building one. So we'll have New Haven - State Street, New Haven Station, West Haven, Orange and Milford all with stations. The train ends up being stopped for longer than its moving.

The really messed up part is none of them have any parking facilities, so you have all these stations and nobody can park at them.

Oh, and the State of CT is raising MTA fares on the New Haven Line. It seems as if they are doing everything they can to make driving to the city seem more desirable... haha.

I'm going to start off by saying that I'm not trying to justify anything that Metro North, or CDOT is doing but just my 2 cents. Yes, I agree with you about the numerous passenger stations on the New Haven Line but it's justified to a point as the New Haven Line is the busiest single line railroad in the country! To reflect the added stations adding trains would be nice but I don't know how much more traffic the line can handle. I really don't consider State Street a reagular stop as Metro North only has a relative few trains that stop there. I consider it more of an SLE stop than anything.

Yeah, CDOT decided to raise the Conneticut fares at the beginging of the year. Unfortunately it was a long time coming. The NY side of the operation has had it's fares rasied 3 times since the previous CT increase. CT legislation said they would not increase fares until there were M8's in service. Now there are M8's in service. Additionally CT originally wanted to raise the fares higher than they did but chose not to at the last minute.

The older equiptment may be more of a comfortable ride (I personally don't know) but they are VERY problematic! A/C problems, water leaks when it rains, etc. In fact of the M2, 4, and 6's, the M2's hold up better than the later models. Another problem is when there is a defective car, to only lose 1 addtional car with the 2's as they are pairs. When one single car of an M4 or M6, you loose 2 addtional cars as they are all triplets.

Were there any FL's on display at Grand Central Terminal for National Trian Day?

Were there any FL's on display at Grand Central Terminal for National Trian Day?

None of the foreign railroads were scheduled to have them there and MNR only has two in which I don't think even run.

I heard it was Amtrak's 40th Anniversary & they had acela on the tracks , It was pretty cool.

It was a good show over there at GCT. Well done by Amtrak and MNRR. I hope this is repeated next year.