dadbo46

D-Day Anniversary

14 posts in this topic

Eisenhower's speech to the troops

Eisenhower's speech to the people of Europe

Edited by grumpyff
fireboyny and sfrd18 like this

Is anyone else a little pissed that Google has some crap about the first drive in as their daily theme and not something for D-day? Show some respect

Is anyone else a little pissed that Google has some crap about the first drive in as their daily theme and not something for D-day? Show some respect

I just went on Google and noticed that. Unbelievable!

God bless the troops who fought on the beaches of Normandy. We will never forget you!

I had the opportunity in visiting the Normandy beaches a few years ago. Unfortunately the area has turned into a tourist area and is complete with gift shops, hotels and golf courses. There are a few small museums and a lot of WW II pieces scattered around. They did leave many of the bluffs and the American Cemetery alone. I have to say that the American Cemetery is a magnificent monument to all those who died. Someone (not sure who maintains it) does a wonderful of maintaining the site. And this is a fitting tribute to those who are buried there. When you are in the cemetery, the amount of loss of life hits home. You really can’t put the day into perspective until you see all those graves, row after row after row. It is truly a shame that so many people had to die so we can sit behind a computer and complain in English about someone or thing without fear of the secret police taping you on the shoulder. Each Memorial Day we have parades and services for those spilled their blood to give us these freedoms, but we should say a short prayer of thanks today for those who died in such large numbers for our freedom.

Google might just be trying to stay politically neutral on the issue, and would rather showcase something that is more geared towards their business, technology... And no, I'm not enticing that they support the idea of a Nazi regime either.

Google might just be trying to stay politically neutral on the issue, and would rather showcase something that is more geared towards their business, technology... And no, I'm not enticing that they support the idea of a Nazi regime either.

Oh Bull.

Unfortunately as each year passes the blow becomes softer and softer and the mention will become less and less. It’s up to us to ensure that this event will never be forgotten even when all of the participants have long faded away.

I will get off my soap box now.

If anyone every has the chance, the D-Day Memorial in Bedford, VA is probably one of most spectacular war memorials in the country, if not the world. It's a little "out of the way" from the DC, VB areas, but near the Blue Ridge Parkway. We were able to visit a few years ago and wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Video of a new memorial to D-Day unveiled today in Saint-Marie du Mont France dedicated to all the junior officers who led from the front. The Statue is based on Major Dick Winters. I also have to praise young Jordan Brown, 13, of Lancaster, PA who personally raised almost $100,000. Just under half the cost of the monument by his sales of bracelets. I wish the country had more young men like him.

http://www.cbsnews.c...nters-unveiled/

Edited by grumpyff
SageVigiles and antiquefirelt like this

My dad Andrew N. Sposta 75th INF 281 DIV also [PCFD RESCUE 40] landed on Omaha beach in the first wave at the age of 20 and came home to my mother. Many Germans that met him that day did not. 2 bronze stars 3 Purple Harts. He was born in Port Chester New York and was a street smart kid that kicked a**. I think about him every day and when things get rough I go back to what he had to face over there and I stop complaning and I go about my day . Thanks dad and every one's dad for what we have today . Your son

I have to say that the American Cemetery is a magnificent monument to all those who died. Someone (not sure who maintains it) does a wonderful of maintaining the site. And this is a fitting tribute to those who are buried there. When you are in the cemetery, the amount of loss of life hits home. You really can’t put the day into perspective until you see all those graves, row after row after row.

Well said. I found this cemetery was the sadest military cemetery I have ever visited. 99% of the headstones were 19 & 20 year olds and all died within a week of D-Day.

When I was there, I saw a bus load of German Senior Citizens going into the cemetery. Most would have been about 8 - 10 years old on D-Day. They were very upset and they told me they remember what was going on then and how it was something their country did. It was very moving. They made it clear that they were very thankfull for our nations sacrifice as it improved their lives.

post-4072-0-48346100-1339030579.jpg

I will never forget.

Unfortunately as each year passes the blow becomes softer and softer and the mention will become less and less. It’s up to us to ensure that this event will never be forgotten even when all of the participants have long faded away.

You're absolutely right sarge. In time, as the veterans themselves fade and we the priviliged few who were there to either work with these men or to here their stories directly from their mouths pass on, the impact will fade away. Some time in the future D-Day, The Bulge, Wake Island, Bataan, and on and on, will have no more meaning to an American as Monmouth, Lundy's Lane, Chapultepec, The Peninsula, El Caney, Sechault or any of a hundred other battles fought by Americans over the years. They'll become meaningless names and dates to all but a few who refuse to forget, or at best something that is glossed over in a high school "social studies" course while the evils of the United States are expounded upon for great lengths, and while it's uncomfortable to hear, we ourselves are to blame. Until we change the mindset in academia the outcome is inevitable.

So, to all the veterans of D-Day and every other veteran of every other battle we have ever fought, as well as those who stood watch in expectation, thank you.

To all of you, let " We Remember" be our watchwords.

Honor Flight: Crowd of Complete Strangers Cheer WWII Vets as They Deboard Plane at D.C. Airport

June 8, 2012

The Blaze

Tiffany Gabbay

While hundreds of travelers at a D.C. airport were gathered by their respective gates waiting for their flights, an Honor Flight of World War II veterans deplaned. Much to the members of the Greatest Generation’s surprise, they were met with a resounding round of applause and were cheered heartily by the crowd as they made their way through the terminal.

“It was just an outstanding day,” said one of the vets, Ed Cavanaugh. “It was the day of a lifetime, to be honest with you. The people who run the [Honor Flights] … are the finest group of people I’ve ever had the opportunity to work with. The trip that day was unreal.”

The Honor Flight was to commemorate the 68th anniversary of D-Day.

Stuff like this reminds me there's still hope for this country...