Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x4093k

Yorktown's Firemans Parade 6/20/12 *Photos*

23 posts in this topic

Below are some shots that I got with my IPhone. My camera was yet again unable to work so i had to use the phone.. Some are blurry I apologize.

photo-26.jpg

fireboyny, 2231*, BigBuff and 3 others like this

I see a lifesaver! :Pphoto-31.jpg

photo-32.jpg

photo-27.jpg

Check my Flickr account for ALL photos I got..( not sure why it all went onto one post...)

Edited by x4093k
2231*, BigBuff, firedude and 6 others like this

Best appearing Ladder went to Port Chester for Ladder 31.

Mahopac won Best Overall

Edited by peterose313
BigBuff likes this

so somers chief car is used by raymond baker and croton is used by john munson? correct if incorrect : )

Also is there a reason mahopac always has their lights off? i like parades as showing off all the lights and car but they drive with windows closed and lights off.. not even the TA on ...

so somers chief car is used by raymond baker and croton is used by john munson? correct if incorrect : )

Your correct on Somers chief at least.. Not sure if John uses that one or not, he's probably still down there, he'll probably inform you once he sees your question..

Also is there a reason mahopac always has their lights off? i like parades as showing off all the lights and car but they drive with windows closed and lights off.. not even the TA on ...

No idea, they didn't do it for the Ossining parade either. I guess that's just not their thing?

No idea, they didn't do it for the Ossining parade either. I guess that's just not their thing?

The "Judges' Seem to like it, as they won a few times at parades i've gone to. Maybe it's more professional or something. I'm seeing Chief Lena this weekend i'll have to ask him. I'll advise if I dont forget to ask lol.

peterose313 and BigBuff like this

@ Sympathomedic- how ya liking the new expeditions? You were generous on the sirens this evening! :P

I still can't add the media clip into the text box. It always posts at the hyperlink or html but here's links to my videos of the parade. I posted the first 6 links. There's a total of 11. You can find the rest of them on youtube by following the links.

http://youtu.be/kNt7jxMh3WY?hd=1

http://youtu.be/w-_MNLXR0vQ?hd=1

http://youtu.be/0dyRFyHo3pk?hd=1

http://youtu.be/xavRnpssQMY?hd=1

http://youtu.be/tOhhOVHowUc?hd=1

Edited by peterose313

2231 you are correct Car 2081 is assigned to Chief Munson.

Some departments keep the lights off "in case a bulb burns out, we don't want to get gigged for it". Gotta do everything possible to win that little plastic trophy that means so much to so few. Not sure if this is why Mahopac does it, but this is what I was told when my department refused to put the lights on

Edited by grumpyff
x4093k, BFD1054 and peterose313 like this

In my opinion fire parades should not be about the trophy I mean who really cares about it. It should be for the enjoyment of the public especialy the kids. I think there should be a requirement that you must have your lights on. The trophy is nice for about a day then it does onto a shelf and is just another thing to dust. Put the lights on, give the siren an occasional yelp and a tug on the air horn. Seeing the wonderment and excitment on a kids face is enough trophy for me!

It still baffles my mind how you can take a piece of apparatus like a truck and drive it so far out of the district that if it was needed it would be too late. Of course if you have two trucks maybe, but just one, I would hope I wasnt the guy hanging out the window on the 5th floor looking to get picked off!

It still baffles my mind how you can take a piece of apparatus like a truck and drive it so far out of the district that if it was needed it would be too late. Of course if you have two trucks maybe, but just one, I would hope I wasnt the guy hanging out the window on the 5th floor looking to get picked off!

Which truck are you talking about? Port Chester is a little far but can probably make it in 10-15 minutes, Mahopac isnt far, Somers is 2 miles away. So I assume your talking about Port Chester?

1210671 and peterose313 like this

Which truck are you talking about? Port Chester is a little far but can probably make it in 10-15 minutes, Mahopac isnt far, Somers is 2 miles away. So I assume your talking about Port Chester?

Don't forget Golden's Bridge, they had a bit of a hike but again... not all that far.

It can't be a 10-15 minute ride to Port Chester from Ytown

its 10-15 by helicopter, 30 by fast car. But good to see someone is using their head about using apparatus with some type of social responsibility. Still a bit of a waste to take a million dollar piece of metal on the road for a trophy, but not my tax dollars.

give the siren an occasional yelp and a tug on the air horn

Other than the disruption of traffic in towns, the only complaint I have heard from actual tax payers (and not MMQs here) about parades is the noise that they make. Every truck yelping their siren or pressing their Q or tugging their airhorn makes a lot of noise, many residents, especially those with young children do not appreciate the loud noise. If for no other reason than imagine what a Q or an airhorn or siren 15 feet from a child's ear will do to their hearing. In most parades I have witnessed, more often than not, I see the parents of young children cover their child's ears whenever they even think a piece of apparatus will make a loud noise.

While we, and some older children, appreciate the noise, many, if not most people do not appreciate the noise. It is intrusive and damaging to hearing, especially when 30 some odd pieces of apparatus blow their horn at the same time or even one at a time.

Parades are for the public to see us, not so they hear us.

We have made it a SOGuideline for parades that we do not sound the siren, Q or airhorn and you would be surprised the lack of complaints we received.

Other than the disruption of traffic in towns, the only complaint I have heard from actual tax payers (and not MMQs here) about parades is the noise that they make. Every truck yelping their siren or pressing their Q or tugging their airhorn makes a lot of noise, many residents, especially those with young children do not appreciate the loud noise. If for no other reason than imagine what a Q or an airhorn or siren 15 feet from a child's ear will do to their hearing. In most parades I have witnessed, more often than not, I see the parents of young children cover their child's ears whenever they even think a piece of apparatus will make a loud noise.

While we, and some older children, appreciate the noise, many, if not most people do not appreciate the noise. It is intrusive and damaging to hearing, especially when 30 some odd pieces of apparatus blow their horn at the same time or even one at a time.

Parades are for the public to see us, not so they hear us.

We have made it a SOGuideline for parades that we do not sound the siren, Q or airhorn and you would be surprised the lack of complaints we received.

The only actual parade I've been to where they use their sirens, airhorns and or the Q is Yorktown. They primarily just have their lights on, at least with the majority of the parades I've been to.