x129K

Best iPhone Scanner Ap

24 posts in this topic

OK...so i JUST entered the modern world and got an iPhone...and I want one of those cool, buffy scanner aps..

Looking to be able to get Dutchess County frequencies....and on occasion, if I am REALLY buffy...FDNY, Yonkers, etc...

What is the best ap out there for said buffing?

2231* and sfrd18 like this

Same here. I finally got out of the stone age and bought an iPhone. Before that, I had a go-phone from Best Buy.

Anyhow, I was in the same boat, and found a really great scanner ap called 5-0 Radio Police Scanner(The one that says "Utilities" under it).

You can hear pretty much anything that's on radioreference.com. FDNY comes in great, and you can listen to any FD anywhere.

Good luck.

2231* and x129K like this

5-0 is the best is what I have found to be the best app out there for the IPhone world. I have heard about the paid version which allows you to record hours worth of chatter on the radio, also has some more gadgets to it. The free version is good enough for me, I can listen to NYPD, FDNY, Putnam 911, Dutchess, etc. without a problem. Just a few seconds delay but it does not screw up as badly as some of those other ones do.

So all in all, 5-0 looks like your best choice for the IPhone. Don't ask me about any others for any other phones because I haven't a clue! :P

Good luck, if you have any questions about the phone let any of us know were all probably happy to help.

x129K and 2231* like this

I agree with everyone else. I don't have an iphone but have some friends who do and use that app. Works very well, you can also tune into anywhere in the world. I, personally, have an android and use a similar app that's slightly better that's also free.

OK...I dowloaded it...Works great for Dutchess and Poughkeepsie...not so much for Yonkers and Camden City, NJ

2231* likes this

OK...I dowloaded it...Works great for Dutchess and Poughkeepsie...not so much for Yonkers and Camden City, NJ

Give it time for Yonkers. The feed for that frequency has been having major issues for over a month now. It was down for quite a while too but the person is supposedly working on trying to repair it.

Yeah. Like radioreference, there isn't one frequency for the city of Yonkers FD or the city of Camden FD, just Southern Westchester Fire and Camden County Fire, but you might get lucky and pick of a job here and there from both.

JUst got an iPad. What about a scanner app for it?

I would assume the same app as for the iPhone(5-0 Radio Police Scanner).

2231* likes this

Cool - gonna test out Camden County...the CMD has been going to nothing but J O B S today!

post-2837-0-92368600-1341433969.jpg

Edited by x129K
sfrd18 likes this

Yeah. Like radioreference, there isn't one frequency for the city of Yonkers FD or the city of Camden FD, just Southern Westchester Fire and Camden County Fire, but you might get lucky and pick of a job here and there from both.

I would assume the same app as for the iPhone(5-0 Radio Police Scanner).

The frequency for Yonkers is Yonkers AND Southern Westchester Fire. It's primarily Yonkers Fire though on radio reference.

If you want to buff Westchester County (60 Control), the 5-0 app is not that good for it. See on 5-0 Radio, it plays 60 Control out of the left side, and other EMS Frequencies out of the right side. Literally, if you put headphones in, Left - 60 control, Right - Random EMS stuff. A good app I use for 60 Control is called Emergency Radio Free. It also picks up everything on 5-0.

I've used both and Emergency Radio is definitely the better one in my opinnion... Check it out they are both free

Tommy_Scanners likes this

For all those Android folks who feel left out, Use "Scanner Radio" by Gorden Edwards. It is free and also has a paid version, but free works good enough. I have never had a problem with it. This App also pulls the audio from Radio Reference.

This also has a chat feature available and you can set channels up so if they hit X amount of users it alerts you.

Edited by JetPhoto
sfrd18 and peterose313 like this

Cool - gonna test out Camden County...the CMD has been going to nothing but J O B S today!

post-2837-0-92368600-1341433969.jpg

Only July 4th alone, CMD's bravest went to 3 fires:

@04:15hrs. - 800 Blk of N. 5th St. - All-Hands, Squad 7 o/s w/fire on the 2nd fl. of a 3-brick dwelling.

@14:05hrs. - 114 N. 21th St. - All-Hands, Battalion 1 o/s w/fire showing from a 2.5-wood dwelling w/reports of people trapped.

@15:15hrs. - 1133 Clover St. - All-Hands, Car 3(DC) o/s w/fire through 3 vacant 2-brick dwellings.

For a city about 10 sq. miles in size, that's a lot of fire.

CMDFD...Goes to JOBS!

x129K likes this

For all those Android folks who feel left out, Use "Scanner Radio" by Gorden Edwards. It is free and also has a paid version, but free works good enough. I have never had a problem with it. This App also pulls the audio from Radio Reference.

This also has a chat feature available and you can set channels up so if they hit X amount of users it alerts you.

I have mine set to 500 before it alerts me. It sends me an alert for Chicago Police around 10 pm every night. lol Scanner Radio is a fantastic app. I even found the local fire/ems scanner for where I am currently in the middle of nowhere Ontario, Canada.

JetPhoto likes this

If you want to buff Westchester County (60 Control), the 5-0 app is not that good for it. See on 5-0 Radio, it plays 60 Control out of the left side, and other EMS Frequencies out of the right side. Literally, if you put headphones in, Left - 60 control, Right - Random EMS stuff. A good app I use for 60 Control is called Emergency Radio Free. It also picks up everything on 5-0.

Could you elaborate what exactly "Random EMS Stuff" is? I don't quite understand that.. I use 5-0 and listen to 60 control only on it, works better then any others i have tried.

Edited by x4093k

Don't they all do that? Even radio reference splits it. The EMS frequencies on the right are: Lewisboro Volunteer Ambulance Corps (LVAC); North Salem VAC (NSVAC) Westchester Emergency Medical and the frequencies on the left are: WCDES Trunk North Zone; All WCDES Fire and EMS Talkgroups*

*Pulled from Radioreference.com

Edited by peterose313
JetPhoto likes this

Thats missing a bunch also Jimmy. If your listening to a scanner your obviously looking to listen in on something, I've never heard of anyone JUST wanting 1 frequency to be played. But I guess I have now..

2231* likes this

Thats missing a bunch also Jimmy. If your listening to a scanner your obviously looking to listen in on something, I've never heard of anyone JUST wanting 1 frequency to be played. But I guess I have now..

I know but that's what is listed on radio reference in the short version. Was too lazy to pull the full but since you pointed it out here's a full listing from radioreference.com

Left Channel

476.2125 WCDES Trunk North Zone; All WCDES Fire / EMS Talkgroups

Right Channel

151.5350 Lewisboro Volunteer Ambulance Corps (LVAC); North Salem VAC (NSVAC) Westchester Emergency Medical Service (WEMS) Dispatch

453.9875 West Co. Fire Ground 4

463.6750 LVAC mobile units

452.8750 NSVAC repeater link to 151.5350

453.3500 Fire 33.96 UHF repeater link

453.5620 Fire 46.26 UHF repeater link

453.9750 Fire 46.06 UHF repeater link

46.2600 60-Control Dispatch (F1)

33.9600 60-Control Dispatch (F2)

46.42 Fire Ground (F3)

33.96 Fire Ground (F4)

468.2750 New Westchester EMS

468.2875 New Westchester EMS

460.2375 Katonah FD

154.2200 Somers FD District-wide

463.0000 Stat-Flight (ground to air)

468.0000 Stat-Flight (air to ground)

2231* likes this

Don't they all do that? Even radio reference splits it. The EMS frequencies on the right are: Lewisboro Volunteer Ambulance Corps (LVAC); North Salem VAC (NSVAC) Westchester Emergency Medical and the frequencies on the left are: WCDES Trunk North Zone; All WCDES Fire and EMS Talkgroups*

*Pulled from Radioreference.com

Negative. Emergency Radio Free only plays 46.26 (WC60C) out of it's app. Some people like the split audio, but for me, I want to buff 60 Control Fire Dispatch, not North Salem VAC...ECT.

Negative. Emergency Radio Free only plays 46.26 (WC60C) out of it's app. Some people like the split audio, but for me, I want to buff 60 Control Fire Dispatch, not North Salem VAC...ECT.

hmm news to me. Go figure. The bulk of the 5-0 is 60 anyways. It's really just late at night that it becomes primarily ems calls.

x4093k likes this