Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheNewLadder32

White Plains Ladder 33

22 posts in this topic

Hey I was just wondering has there ever been another ladder exactly like this one from White Plains as it is rare and very different. And I know it was done by the city but just wondering if there is another truck close or just like it.post-18255-0-38414500-1344309559.jpg

tommyguy, 2231*, sfrd18 and 1 other like this

I believe the exact make/model/style of the rig is unique to White Plains, but there are many aerials w/commercial chassis out there. Most I've seen are single-axle quints, like WPFD's old Ladder 34.

By the way, is that Station 2 on Ferris Ave.?

TheNewLadder32 likes this

I believe the exact make/model/style of the rig is unique to White Plains, but there are many aerials w/commercial chassis out there. Most I've seen are single-axle quints, like WPFD's old Ladder 34.

By the way, is that Station 2 on Ferris Ave.?

Yes that is Station 2 it was in as a spare and I know there are many commercial aerials but I was wondering have there been any other tandem axle quint/ non-quint 105' ft aerials like this.

BCFire05 likes this

This was the brainchild of a former chief and current DPW commissioner. Strictly a penny pinching move.

Junk from the first day it arrived.

what???

I belive the reason why most of the WPFD's fleet has commercial cabs is to make repairs easier for the city garage/shops, as all of the city's trucks/DPW fleet have commercial cabs as well.

I belive the reason why most of the WPFD's fleet has commercial cabs is to make repairs easier for the city garage/shops, as all of the city's trucks/DPW fleet have commercial cabs as well.

You are right thats why the engines are the same as the garbage trucks.

sfrd18 likes this

I have been away from White Plains now for fifteen years. And all the guys I knew in WPFD are retired. So maybe this is a dumb question but....

How did they operate with Tower Ladder 6 and Truck 33? (That was a Ford cab?) Weren't both assigned to Station Two and, IIRC, around the same time period?

I have been away from White Plains now for fifteen years. And all the guys I knew in WPFD are retired. So maybe this is a dumb question but....

How did they operate with Tower Ladder 6 and Truck 33? (That was a Ford cab?) Weren't both assigned to Station Two and, IIRC, around the same time period?

Ladder 33 has been the spare ladder in White Plains for as long as I can remember as im not that old so it operated until White Plains bought the Tower Ladder 6 they have now then it went strictly to spare. They were not assigned at the same time period as the one you see pictured above became a spare in 2009 when the new Ladder 32 came in replacing that truck which was 32. Also it is a Ford cab.

tommyguy, sfrd18 and x4093k like this

Yes there is another newer tandem axel commercial aerial. Check out New Berlin's Truck 4. Its a quad-cab Freight Liner '10 or '11 model) set up on the 105' Raptor by Rosenbauer. Just google up New Berlin Fire Department in images and you can see. It's a nice rig.

TheNewLadder32 and sfrd18 like this

Ladder 33 has been the spare ladder in White Plains for as long as I can remember as im not that old so it operated until White Plains bought the Tower Ladder 6 they have now then it went strictly to spare. They were not assigned at the same time period as the one you see pictured above became a spare in 2009 when the new Ladder 32 came in replacing that truck which was 32. Also it is a Ford cab.

Okay I see. Thanks for responding, I do appreciate it.

Many years ago the WPFD ladder rundown was: Trk1 (60-control L-32) assigned to fire Hdq'ts

Trk 2 (60 control L-33) assigned to Sta. 2 on Hamilton Ave.

Trk 3 (60 control L-34) assigned to Sta. 7

TL-6 came along with the opening of the current

Sta. 2 which was converted from the old bus garage as part of

urban renewal.

sfrd18, 210 and tommyguy like this

Many years ago the WPFD ladder rundown was: Trk1 (60-control L-32) assigned to fire Hdq'ts

Trk 2 (60 control L-33) assigned to Sta. 2 on Hamilton Ave.

Trk 3 (60 control L-34) assigned to Sta. 7

TL-6 came along with the opening of the current

Sta. 2 which was converted from the old bus garage as part of

urban renewal.

Chief,

In those years past were all three ladders tractor drawn?

Yes there is another newer tandem axel commercial aerial. Check out New Berlin's Truck 4. Its a quad-cab Freight Liner '10 or '11 model) set up on the 105' Raptor by Rosenbauer. Just google up New Berlin Fire Department in images and you can see. It's a nice rig.

Thanks ill check it out but does any one know if there were any other fords from that year like that ?

Going back to the early '60s the only tractor drawn aerial was the 1957 ALF that was assigned to old Sta. 2.

Sometime in the mid to late '60s a Maxim open cab tractor drawn aerial was purchased, followed several years later by another Maxim tractor drawn aerial with a closed cab for driver & tillerman.

210 and TheNewLadder32 like this

truck looks so top heavy.

Ladder is a little longer thren the actual chassis itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the old Ladder 32 before it went into the spare pool?

I don't know the specifics of this truck but Dartmouth, MA (south coast near/New Bedford) has/had a similar type ladder. I haven't see too many in MA.

http://www.firenews....rtmouthD2L2.jpg

Thats exactly what are Ladder 34 looks like but with a ford chassis instead.