Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IzzyEng4

Islanders are moving

14 posts in this topic

Accoring to sources in the NHL, NBC4 and ESPN are reporting the Islanders are moving from Nassau to the Barclay's arena in Brooklyn.

it was only a matter of time once the voters in Nassau defeated the renovation of the Nassau Coliseum and the Barclay's center opened. Won't happen until the 2015-2016 season apparently either.

Edited by SRS131EMTFF
sfrd18 and peterose313 like this

As SRS said, it won't be until 2015 when their lease runs out. Wang did everything he could to keep them on LI but the residents killed everything. It will be a 25 year lease once they move.

x635 and sfrd18 like this

The name and logo will stay the same, just a new venue to play in.

Wang did everything he could to keep them on LI but the residents killed everything

Brooklyn is still on Long Island.

I had the chance to check out Barclays Center a few weeks ago, and it's an awesome venue. It's also nice that you can take mass transit to it. Hopefully, this will be a positive change for the Islanders from the obsolete Nassau Colliseum

Here's a photo I took:

post-11-0-58856900-1351127979.jpg

SageVigiles and peterose313 like this

Brooklyn is still on Long Island.

True, what I meant to say was he tried to keep em in Nassau/Suffolk but residents voted down the referendum. The LIRR apparently (I've never used LIRR) stops at Barclays, which is good for their fans.

I've also heard reports that adjustments will have to be made to the Barclays as it wasn't originally designed to host a hockey franchise but it can be done and the move has to be approved by the New York Rangers. Some people have said that they won't have an issue with it but no official word has come out yet.

x635 likes this

True, what I meant to say was he tried to keep em in Nassau/Suffolk but residents voted down the referendum. The LIRR apparently (I've never used LIRR) stops at Barclays, which is good for their fans.

I've also heard reports that adjustments will have to be made to the Barclays as it wasn't originally designed to host a hockey franchise but it can be done and the move has to be approved by the New York Rangers. Some people have said that they won't have an issue with it but no official word has come out yet.

What would the rangers have to do with it? I heard the once the NHL approved it, it was a done deal...any link to the source saying the rangers must approve it?

I'm guessing because they'd be in the same market and it would have to do with territorial fees. Brooklyn is in the NYR back yard basically. I'm not entirely sure myself to be honest. I'll see if I can do some digging and come up with a better answer for you. I saw the report from Katie Strang of ESPN on twitter.

Katie Strang@KatieStrangESPN

Source confirms Rangers' approval needed for Isles to move to Brooklyn. Hasn't been granted officially, but no apparent issue there

Edited by peterose313

The Rangers agreement was that they could have a franchise anywhere on LI ( including queens and BK). Also this whole thing just means I have 6 more easily accessible Rangers home games I can attend :)

Also the arena will be the smallest in the NHL, and the Arena wasn't designed for hockey but does have a hockey setup ( they were supposed to host 2 NHL preseason games, and will be hosting KHL games in January).

peterose313 likes this

I like the Daily News' new name: " The Coney Islanders"

Has anyone ever gone to the Barclays Center?? How is it? I remember when the Prudential Center opened up in Newark and i went there for the 1st time to watch a Devils game and i personally didnt like the whole set up at all meaning the seating.. I prefer the Izod Center or MSG anyday..

I haven't been there yet but they say its nice. They do have to do a slight modification of the floor and seating area so that an ice rink can be properly put into place.

(*)

I haven't been there yet but they say its nice. They do have to do a slight modification of the floor and seating area so that an ice rink can be properly put into place.

(*)

I believe they need to have a locker room built too