Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R1SmokeEater

FDNY's Bravest

7 posts in this topic

Thanks "R1" for posting this. Mike sure has some Great pictures of the busiest time in the history of the FDNY. And it probadly will never be repeated again. He has been able to preserve for us what it was like during those busy years. He did this during a time before digital cameras and a roll of film had to be added after maybe 36 photos. The cost of the film. The cost to get it developed. And one roll of film in one camera for day photos, and one roll of film in another camera for night photos. It involved a lot of work, expense and skill.

Thanks to "mikeindabronx" as he is know, and "r1" for posting the latest page.

And thanks goes to Mike's wife Marie. She does mosty of the work now. I think Mike just sits back, takes all the credit and watches.

sfrd18 likes this

Nice to see a few familiar faces in those pictures. Thanks for posting!

There is a member on page 18, 3rd from the last, named Tom Grimshaw. He has well over 30 years OTJ and now spends a lot of his time in the PT Unit at The Rock (unless he has retired in the last couple of years). Incredibly nice guy, good with the probies and a great role model for staying in shape. He ran the NYC Marathon for over 30 consecutive years, or something like that.

He was very helpful when I went through the academy, thought he deserved a mention.

BFD1054 likes this

Page 18, second row down.............2nd pic from the right of the Brothers from Squad 41....................2nd member from the right facing the camera is Pete McLaughlin........eventually became a member of R-4 and died LOD on Oct. 8, 1995.

Rest in Peace Pete!

And to M Ave.............I also had Tommy Grimshaw as an instructor in Probie school............What a gentleman............and I believe that he did retire a few years ago.

BFD1054, x129K and M' Ave like this

Grinshaw retired 2 or 3 years ago I had him in probie school also defiantly a role model for anyone who is in physical fitness he was an absolute gentleman

M' Ave likes this