Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BFD1054

Inception of the FAST concept as we know it

2 posts in this topic

While looking through Michael Dicks incredible collection of FDNY pictures, i came across one that peaked my interest.

It is a photo of 2 Firemen presumably taking a breather after a job. One of the men is Bob Athanas, who is now on R3 (Orange County resident as well). The other is Al Ronaldson who was with R3 at the time of this photo was taken.

What peaked my interest was the fact that the caption of the photo states that FF Ronaldson was killed in the LOD on 03/05/1991.

Being curious of the circumstances of the LODD, i did a quick search.

My search came back with many articles and memorial pages dedicated to FF Al Ronaldson.

One article in particular stated that the FAST concept was born out of the tragedy of FF Ronaldson's death.

I found the article to be very interesting, so i thought i'd pass it on.

May FF Al Ronaldson RIP.

Link to the article:

http://firerescuesafety.blogspot.com/2012/03/orgin-of-fast.html

grumpyff, x4093k, lt411 and 5 others like this

Al was a member of the Montgomery Fire Department with my father, when he was a Lieutenant way back in the day. I used to love hanging out at the firehouse with him and the guys before my parents divorced.

Timeframe for those familiar is during the construction of the current MFD Firehouse...although I have alot of fond memories of the old, brick firehouse they were in before that.

I know Bob Pressler is a Chief over there now...someday i would like to go visit. I have alot of my father's MFD memorabelia.

Interesting side story, and I apologize for getting off topic; Montgomery had an old ladder truck, beleive an International or a ford...in any event, I rode along with my Dad when he delivered it...to a Dutchess County department, Yes, the JH Ketcham Hose Company....MY company now...it was also the first ladder truck I ever climbed, during essentials, may back in 1990.

x635, sfrd18, BFD1054 and 1 other like this