Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mtnmedic

Back Up Cameras

7 posts in this topic

Hopefully some day FDNY decide that chiefs, or more importantly their drivers could use the back up camera. We got em in the new 4 door dodge ambulances, and it is a godsend. All emergency vehicles should have em.

Edited by x635
Split from FDNY New Battalion Car w/ Spacekap Thread for Further Discussion
x4093k likes this

Hopefully some day they decide that chiefs, or more importantly their drivers could use the back up camera. We got em in the new 4 door dodge ambulances, and it is a godsend. All emergency vehicles should have em.

Not sure why they don't already.. I've seen box trucks, pepsi trucks, small mail trucks having them... Beats me... lol

Hopefully some day they decide that chiefs, or more importantly their drivers could use the back up camera. We got em in the new 4 door dodge ambulances, and it is a godsend. All emergency vehicles should have em.

U.S. DOT Proposes Rear View Visibility Rule to Protect Kids and the Elderly
NHTSA 17-10

Friday, December 3, 2010

Tel: 202-366-9550

Regulation Is Aimed at Preventing Accidental Fatalities and Injuries to Pedestrians in Low-Speed Back-Up Accidents

The U.S. Department of Transportation today proposed a new safety regulation to help eliminate blind zones behind vehicles that can hide the presence of pedestrians, especially young children and the elderly. The proposed rule was required by Congress as part of the Cameron Gulbransen Kids Transportation Safety Act of 2007. Two-year old Cameron Gulbransen, for whom the Act is named, was killed when his father accidentally backed over him in the family’s driveway.

"There is no more tragic accident than for a parent or caregiver to back out of a garage or driveway and kill or injure an undetected child playing behind the vehicle," said Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "The changes we are proposing today will help drivers see into those blind zones directly behind vehicles to make sure it is safe to back up."

The proposal, issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), would expand the required field of view for all passenger cars, pickup trucks, minivans, buses and low-speed vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of up to 10,000 pounds so that drivers can see directly behind the vehicle when the vehicle’s transmission is in reverse. NHTSA believes automobile manufacturers will install rear mounted video cameras and in-vehicle displays to meet the proposed standards. To meet the requirements of the proposed rule, ten percent of new vehicles must comply by Sept. 2012, 40 percent by Sept. 2013 and 100 percent by Sept. 2014.

link to full article: http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/NHTSA-17-10

JetPhoto likes this

All the new rigs we have been getting have cameras and these def need them cuz you can see anything out the back

Edited by goon16
x129K likes this

I find them distracting. Another thing to look at when backing up.

But I guess if you're alone and backing up, it helps you survey what's there. And since many accidents occur while backing up, this may be a help for that. It's not a replacement for apparatus handling skills, spotters, or mirrors. Camera or not, larger apparatus should never be backed up alone, and drivers should know the size of their vehicle and "pre plan" prior the backing up.

Personally, I prefer sensors that beep when you near an object, I think New Rochelle E-21 has this.

I have driven apparatus with the "beeping or voice" devices and tend to find them annoying and they are not that accurate. I prefer when I don't have a spotter to have the camera so I can see whats there.

Personally, I prefer sensors that beep when you near an object, I think New Rochelle E-21 has this.

We also have a camera. The sensors were a trial to see if it should replace the back-stop unit which did not fit this bumper.