Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arbrow06

EMT-I course

12 posts in this topic

Is this course obsolete? Being phased out?

What are the educational requirements time wise compared to a EMT-B cert because I know a EMT-I refresher is only 37 hours,

Hope you guys can help!

Before the new standards for NYS took effect, the "I" class was about 200 hrs plus clinical time. The problem I found here in the Hudson Valley area is the class is rarely offered and refreshers have been non-existant.

Is this course obsolete? Being phased out?

What are the educational requirements time wise compared to a EMT-B cert because I know a EMT-I refresher is only 37 hours,

Hope you guys can help!

In this area, the course is difficult to find - i think phelps as, at times, offered it. In all honesty, if you intend to work in this area i wouldn't waste your time. There are few agencies who are credentialed at the "I" level and you'll rarely find yourself doing much more than a basic given how saturated with medics the system is. If you're a basic looking to advance yourself, get some time in the field and in a year or two of solid experience look into a local paramedic program if you're still serious or interested in the field. Best of luck.

comical115 and x635 like this

I went to the Phelps EMT-I class in 1999, with 3 other EMT's from Empress. It was tought by BNechis, and I found it to be a great bridge to Paramedic. In Medic school, it made it a lot easier not having to worry about a lot of the Paramedic skills. I think one of the main strengths of the class was BNechis, and his teaching went above and beyond and we really learned a lot.

At the time, I worked for Empress EMS, and they supported the EMT-I role, as it enhanced patient care. It was great, because you could initialize interventions, and assist better with critical patients with low-risk, high benefit procedures. Yorktown VAC also had an EMT-I program.

I think the EMT-I should be the standard for any EMT working 911, especially in the flycar or extended response ALS systems.

Bnechis likes this

While your EMT-I is useless in the lower hudson valley, almost anywhere else you go in the state or country you will be able to practice and use you EMT-I skills. Get the National Registry Advanced EMT (NRAEMT) card. This card will let you practice as an AEMT or at a equal level almost anywhere in the country.

I was in EMT-I class in 2009 with 50-65. While the training is hard to come by, it was a worthwhile experience and I learned a great deal.

Like Seth said, it's a great bridge to medic class fr experience, and it is excellent for EMTs working 911.

I re-certified as an EMT-Basic, but I can say that EMT-I training made me a better EMT, and definitely enhanced my knowledge. Though it is probably a pipe dream, It would be great to see the EMT-I curriculum as the standard for EMTs.

Edited by firefighter36

Can you do a bridge program from basic to Intermediate? Or is it a whole new class if that makes sense?

The Intermediate class I was in was 5 or so months long- and builds off of EMT-Basic Class.

The AEMT course in VT is almost the exact same length as the EMT course (EMT-Bs no longer exist in VT, all NREMTs that were EMT-Bs became EMTs). Approximately 3.5 months no including clinicals.

Last I heard, the EMT-I level in New York was going to be phased out and all EMT-Is were either going to have to go back to EMT-B or move upward to EMT-CC. I also haven't seent any programs for EMT-I since May.

National Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT) will replace the NYS Intermediate.

Estimated hours = 160 - 200

From: http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/national_education_standards_transition/

NYSDOH Letter to EMT-I Agencies:

post-17100-0-98138200-1355252901.jpg

From: http://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/national_education_standards_transition/docs/aemt_remac_letter.pdf

Also, the only places that can offer EMT-I/AEMT training classes in westchester are WCC and Phelps, per http://www.wremsco.org/.

Edited by firedude

EMT-I was great for me going into medical school when I didn't have time to do the medic course/rotations. Once I had the cert, I practiced my skills with medics who I had worked with as an EMT-B for years. It was not only good to put on school applications,but it gave me a huge leg up in school in many areas, as well as the ER I work in now. I recommend the CC course now because the recert for EMT-I is going to be impossible without the CC training from what I understand.

x4093k likes this