x635

CA Seeks To Label EMS Providers As A "Non Government Employee"

18 posts in this topic

From AMR's Facebook page:

Help support California paramedics and EMTs by stopping a bill that would force EMS caregivers to wear a label on their uniforms that states,”NOT A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE.” The bill would also require a label on ambulances stating, “THE OPERATOR OF THIS VEHICLE IS NOT A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE.”

This language is derogatory and not acceptable to the men and women who provide lifesaving emergency care to 70% of California. Make your voice heard and tell the California Legislature that this insulting legislation is unacceptable, not only to you, but also to their constituents.

Please call the following members of the Assembly Judiciary Committee and tell them to vote NO on SB 556, ANTI-Private EMS legislation that will force private EMT’s and Paramedics to be subjected to unnecessary and stigmatizing labeling requirements.

That is awesome!

Is it gonna be a colored arm band? What hateful douchenozle thought this would be a good idea?

There's gotta be a hell of a story behind this. Things like this don't just happen.

Considering the variations of uniforms and marking of vehicles this is not shocking or entirely a surprise. It takes it to a bit of an extreme but we always seem to give the critics ammunition for moves like this.

And considering the anti-government sentiment that is so pervasive today (especially in California) wearing a billboard that says "not a government employee" may actually be a GOOD idea. B)

SageVigiles likes this

Disgusting. Whoever dreamed this up should be ashamed of themselves. Make sure you know I'm not a government employee while I am bagging the life back into you.

Nothing in California surprises me

Has to be one of the dumbest things I've heard all day.

Before we jump to conclusions are there any other articles on this topic ? Call me crazy but a Facebook post from a private EMS agency might be just a tad biased. Any context as to how or why this came up ?

If this is true it sounds like there is one of two problems:

1. Private EMS impersonating or coming very close to impersonating police/firefighters. (i.e. vehicles painted in the exact same color and style of the local FD's)

2. Private EMS agencies "not playing nice" with the rest of the ICS system. (i.e. we have our own bosses and SOGs, we don't answer to you)

2. Private EMS agencies "not playing nice" with the rest of the ICS system. (i.e. we have our own bosses and SOGs, we don't answer to you)

Because arm bands and labels on jackets fix 100% of ICS problems, 100% of the time.

Because arm bands and labels on jackets fix 100% of ICS problems, 100% of the time.

Of course not, but I'm just suggesting possible reasons as to why. Whether they are legitimate or not is another issue

If this is true it sounds like there is one of two problems:

1. Private EMS impersonating or coming very close to impersonating police/firefighters. (i.e. vehicles painted in the exact same color and style of the local FD's)

I doubt this issue has anything to do with it, probably more to do with the public being ignorant of who provides their EMS services.

As to the ICS issue, I can think of a giant national organization that refuses to participate in ICS, much to the frustration of many local municipalities. +

Edited by SageVigiles

Says exactly what AMR says it does.. The bill as admended

Can you speak to the perceived necessity of this bill? One might infer that this is an issue due to high tension between private EMS services and public or FD EMS in places where privates offer to come in for a fraction of the current price?

No, but I think it has more to do with buses being operated by contractors. The transit agencies are required to bid out a certain percentage of routes, and in many cases operate those routes with agency supplied buses. But in my county, AMR has San Joaqiun County EMS on the the side of their rigs, and patches on their uniforms, as does Paramedics First in Alameda County. I don't see a need for it, but in Sacramento, you pays your money and get your law, needed or not.,

Below is the list of those in support and opposition,

SUPPORT : (Verified 5/10/13)

California Labor Federation (co-source)
California Professional Firefighters (co-source)
Consumer Federation of California (co-source)
California Conference Board of the Amalgamated Transit Union
California Conference of Machinists
California Teamsters Public Affairs Council
Engineers and Scientists of California
International Longshore & Warehouse Union
Professional & Technical Engineers, Local 21
UNITE HERE!
United Food and Commercial Workers Union, Western States Council
Utility Workers Union of America, Local 132

OPPOSITION : (Verified 5/10/13)
Associated General Contractors
Building Owners and Managers Association of California
California Ambulance Association
California Business Properties Association
California Chamber of Commerce
California Chapter of American Fence Association
California Employment Law Council
California Fence Contractor's Association
California Hospital Association
California Manufacturers and Technology Association
California Restaurant Association
California Trucking Association
Civil Justice Association of California
CSAC Excess Insurance Authority
Engineering Contractor's Association
Flasher Barricade Association
International Council of Shopping Centers
International Franchise Association
International Warehouse Logistics Association
Marin Builders Association
Messenger Courier Association of America
NAIOP of California, the Commercial Real Estate Development
Association
National Federation of Independent Business
Personal Insurance Federation of California
Rural County Representatives of California
Western Electrical Contractors Association

Interestingly,wasn't AMR at one time owned by North America's largest busing contractor: Laidlaw? I know that it appeared that the old "business model" of AMR was to swoop in, lowball the bids then once a city had no resources ask for significant subsidies. That seemed to have caught up with them in New England and was at least causing some heartburn in Cali a few years back, I'm sure todays' fiscal crisis allows similar fears to arise in many municipal departments where EMS helps bolster staffing.

Yes, AMR was owned by Laidlaw. Paramedics Plus picked up AMR's contract in Alameda County. I vaquely remember Alameda was not happy with AMR, but not sure.