INIT915

New York's Binding Arbitration Law

14 posts in this topic

Some mixed news here if you work for a municipality. For those of us here who work for the State, the new formula doesn't apply, but we'll still benefit from the overall extension. It'll be interesting to see how the first City who "tests the waters" makes out.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Mayors-hail-binding-arbitration-cap-4250571.php

ALBANY — Firefighters and a bevy of Capital Region mayors came to the Capitol on Monday to, respectively, oppose and boost Gov. Andrew Cuomo's proposal to cap binding arbitration decisions in labor contract disputes with municipalities determined to be "financially distressed."

The state Conference of Mayors organized a news conference with local mayors Jerry Jennings of Albany, Lou Rosamilia of Troy, Ellen McNulty-Ryan of Green Island, Gary McCarthy of Schenectady and Ann Thane from Amsterdam, whose communities would all currently fit into the distressed category, which uses either high taxes or low fund reserves as criteria.

thanks for the share, our last two contracts were decided by binding arbitration.

JunebugKFD257 likes this

Next he will be going after the Triborough Doctrin and for people who dont know what it is.

The Triborough Doctrine - The Facts

In the early 1980's the New York State Legislature passed legislation that amended the Taylor Law. The Triborough Amendment was passed as a counter to the fact that NYS public employees do not have the right to strike.

Most public employees don't think about the Triborough Doctrine or remember its importance. There are some in the NYS legislature that would like to eliminate this important legislation.

What does the Triborough Doctrine do?

• Prevents an employer from changing terms and conditions of employment until a new contract is negotiated.
  • Requires empoyers to negotiate in good faith, in exchange employees are protected from striking. Employers changing terms and conditions of employment after a contract expires but before a new contract commit an improper practice.

What effect would a repeal of the Triborough Amendment have?

• Step increases, increments and longevity pay amounts could be stopped.
  • Employers could reduce work hours and workers' pay and change benefits after a contract expires.
  • Holiday and sick pay could be eliminated.
  • Health coverage could be reduced and employees' share of the premium could be increased.
  • Employers could implement a contract on its employees if no agreement is achieved.

The Triborough Amendment puts UPSEU members on a level playing field. An elimination of this important legislation or even a watered down version would have a devastating effect on public employees throughout the state of New York.

For those wondering if their legislators working to stop public employees of this important legislation believe public employees would be granted the right to strike to be law, they don't. They want a one way bargaining process.

I think its paramount that everyone who belongs to a labor union, whether or not your private or public sector to oppose this proposed repeal. It would mean the literal enslavement of the public sector workers that would be suject to the whim's of administrators and politicans currying votes. I'm not public sector, but i'm private sector union and I know the damage it can do to a union; It's tantamount to putting a knife into someone with their back turned away from you. The playing field has to be level. It has to be stopped at all costs.

The Triborough Doctrine has been a target in the past...very scary

The anti-public sector sentiment and actions by our elected officials recently is definitely cause for alarm.

I pity those getting on the job now. They will have to work under deteriorating conditions; for many more years, to receive fewer benefits.

A dark day for the entire public sector statewide.

DR104 and grumpyff like this

What is NYS up to now Tier 6?

What is NYS up to now Tier 6?

Yes and supposedly there is a tier 7 in the works.

It's funny how when many of us came on the job, we were looked down upon by the rest of society because we were "only" civil servants.

Now because we have done well for ourselves, we are under attack, we really can't win

helicopper, x129K and grumpyff like this

Has anyone actually proposed repeal of Triborough? I think we're mixing the two here.

Yes and supposedly there is a tier 7 in the works.

I wouldn't put it past Cuomo to have a Tier 7 in the planning stages. Even with Tier 5 in place, he never gave it a chance to see if it would work, instead they developed Tier 6 and shoved it right down our throats. Cuomo has become the exact opposite of what I thought he'd be. He's been no friend of Labor and he is scaring a number of labor-friendly politicians not only in NY, but in other labor-friendly states as well. If Cuomo is successful in getting what he wants (Triborough Repeal and his Binding Arbitration bill), I think you will see a domino effect in those other states. This is why it's IMPORTANT for us career firefighters and cops to get involved in what goes on in Albany and hold our representatives in the Senate and Assembly accountable, especially when they are looking for a handout come election time.

Im a private sector guy.No comment on this.

I wouldn't put it past Cuomo to have a Tier 7 in the planning stages. Even with Tier 5 in place, he never gave it a chance to see if it would work, instead they developed Tier 6 and shoved it right down our throats. Cuomo has become the exact opposite of what I thought he'd be. He's been no friend of Labor and he is scaring a number of labor-friendly politicians not only in NY, but in other labor-friendly states as well. If Cuomo is successful in getting what he wants (Triborough Repeal and his Binding Arbitration bill), I think you will see a domino effect in those other states. This is why it's IMPORTANT for us career firefighters and cops to get involved in what goes on in Albany and hold our representatives in the Senate and Assembly accountable, especially when they are looking for a handout come election time.

Remember this. Neither the Republicans or the Democrats are "on our side". Too many believe the Democrats will help the working man. Both parties are full of politicians that will throw us under the bus to get a few votes.

Edited by grumpyff