Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New NYPD Staten Island Station (121st Precinct)

14 posts in this topic

Is it rare for NYPD to open new stations?

NEW STATEN ISLAND PRECINCT - The new 121st Precinct station house has opened its doors on Richmond Avenue. Officers assigned to the new precinct, commanded by Deputy Inspector Terence Hurson, will serve neighborhoods in northwest Staten Island.

See the flag being raised for the first time, and more about the new precinct:

http://bit.ly/18rOO5e

http://bit.ly/14Jxpje

More: http://on.nyc.gov/18rOVhi

tommyguy likes this

It is rare enough to get a new stationhouse, let alone an entire new precinct. The last new precinct I can think of is the 33 Pct which was formed around 1994 by splitting the 34 Pct almost in half in Washington Heights.

Staten Island is really growing and changing. No longer the sleepy borough it was once upon a time.

I have heard FDNY guys talking about it no longer being the quiet assignment it was once considered to be. Some days they get quite busy.

WCFCX613 likes this

Just out of curiousity, if a Precinct is commanded by a Deputy Inspector, what is a Captain responsible for?

The new Station House looks like a stapler.

A Precinct can be commanded by a Captain or a Deputy Inspector.

If the Precinct is commanded by a Captain, there can be a second captain assigned to the command, the first one would be designated as the Commanding Officer and would be the head. The second one would be designated the Executive officer, the number 2 guy. If the precinct is commanded by a D.I., the X.O. would still be a Captain.

Usually, the busier houses are commanded by a D.I. Sometimes, the C.O. will start out as a Captain, but after a while, be promoted to D.I.

There have been a few incidents where a precinct has been commanded by a full bird Inspector.

New Precincts are rare, since I went on in 1981, the only new precincts to open were the 49 Precinct in 1985, the 115 in 1989 (approximate), the 33 in 1994 and now the 121 in 2013.

I think this brings the number of Precincts up to 77.

In addition, there are 12 Transit Police Districts and 9 Housing Police Service Areas.

Edited by 10512
CFFD117 and SageVigiles like this

That is one ugly building. The stapler analogy is spot on.

calhobs likes this

I am kind of surprised that in this day and age a government building would be constructed this way.

Meaning that based on the large overhang, could be an easy target and cause significant damage.

tommyguy likes this

Yes WTC is new pct but I think we are looking at patrol pcts and new buildings. WTC is a new command but its really an extension of Counter Terrorism Bureau. Not a patrol pct.

They have like 50 cars just sitting out at Floyd Bennet, all mint! I bet the men would love to get a few instead of the POS out there now.

That whole WTC command is another issue...

600 cops for a building they don't have primary jurisdiction in anyway.

600 cops are not assigned there. Don't believe everything you read.