Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJMedic

Stewart ARFF

13 posts in this topic

It is a combination of full time NYS employees and guardsmen in the the NY Air National Guard 105th Airlift Wing. All equipment is owned by the ANG/Air Force. I believe military service and fire academy are required for full time employment.

201/65 is correct. It's a combination of AGR aka full time guardsmen on active duty orders and guardsmen employed as NYS employees. Having been a member of the air guard in ny, I know also yes you need to be a member of the guard.

The ARFF firefighters attend training a in Texas at Shepard AFB and also get HAZMAT training and interior. They respond off the base to Newburghand surrounding areas.

The same is true at the 106th Rescue Wing (pararescue ) in West Hampton on the East End. They reaspond quite often to assist the Hamptons fire departments.

JetPhoto likes this

Kinda related...wasn't the Port Authority trying to take over Stewart at some point?

They already have. The only thing they didn't take over was the policing, which is still done by the State Police.

You don't need to be in the Guard to work as a civilian, that has changed over the years. The sad thing is that the civilians who work as firefighters are not recognized by NYS as Firefighters! How screwed up is that? A battle that has been fought in the past with negative results! If anyone is interested in joining the Air guard please reach out to me !

You don't need to be in the Guard to work as a civilian, that has changed over the years. The sad thing is that the civilians who work as firefighters are not recognized by NYS as Firefighters! How screwed up is that? A battle that has been fought in the past with negative results! If anyone is interested in joining the Air guard please reach out to me !

I am in the Guard also brother, to work as a State Tech you need to be guard just as title 32 AGR. Just as with SF or anyother job . Unless you speaking of something other then state tech.?

KS- my mistake, they are not state Techs which eliminates the Guard requirement, I believe they are in the CSEA and at one point a push was to get into the IAFF.

SWF is owned by the Port Authority, operated by AvPorts (same company as at HPN), and policed by NYSP. Having somewhat recently applied for an ARFF job there, they don't require you to be in the ANG, but prefer that you are, and you have to have the DoD firefighters certificate (this was of 2 years ago, they could have chaged the requirements since then).

Yea, Federal Fire provides fire suppression to a lot of bases and they are not military. I know Quantico has a Civilian Federal firehouse and a firehouse stationed by Marines. Watervliet Arsenal I believe is US Army Fire but is civilian staffed.and Schenectady County Airport/Stratton ANGB is provided fire suppression from the Air Force.

The 105th Stewart ANG Fire Department provides fire protection for the Port Authority airport at SWF. The full time Firefighters are state employees that work for NYS DMNA and there union is CSEA. They have 35 full time firefighter positions. Do to firefighters retiring, leaving for other jobs they are down 10 position and NYS is not hiring right now. Also there are 30 to 40 part time Military firefighters that attend one weekend a month and whatever active duty days they can get ( training, deployments…..etc). You do not have to be in the ANG for a job ,But you do need to have prior service with DoD fire certs to be a NYS firefighter at SWF as of right now.

Wow, this is confusing. Being a Port Authority facility, doesn't that mean the jurisdiction would be specifically PAPD, like the other airports and PAPD facilities? Wouldn't they be responsible for policing and ARFF?

And I assume the current ARFF staff were there before it became a true large frame passenger airport. Has anything changed because of that?