x635

FDNY Shows Off New Hurricane Response Equipment

14 posts in this topic

Some cool new tools.

PHOTO GALLERY: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fdnyhome/sets/72157637133411574/

From FDNY.gov:

The FDNY unveiled dozens of new tools purchased as a result of Superstorm Sandy, including equipment, gear and boats on Oct. 30 at the Fire Academy.

“Last year [during the storm] we did a great job, this will help us do a better job,” Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano said.

The Department spent more than $6 million in strategic investments on equipment and training following the storm that hit on Oct. 29, 2012.

The new equipment includes, six high-axle, 2.5-ton vehicles that can function in 53-inch deep waters, one 13-foot long Swift Water Rescue POD filled with water rescue equipment for FDNY members, a Mass Casualty Incident POD containing equipment for addressing complex medical incidents, 40 boats designed and intended for operating in flooded city streets (including Rescue Connector Boats with pumps capable of moving more than 550 gallons of water per minute), two EMS Station Relocation Trailers containing tools and supplies needed to operate a temporary EMS station, among other tools.

FDNY members also received specialized training, including Department of Homeland Security sponsored Wide Area Search Classes, additional water rescue training and advanced courses in structural collapse response.

“We had been looking into purchasing these tools before Sandy, but the storm really showed us a need for them,” Special Operations Command Chief William Seelig said. “This gives us more tools to bring to the game.”

During Superstorm Sandy, FDNY fought more than 94 serious structural fires, responded to 5,681 medical emergencies and rescued more than 500 New York City residents.

PHOTO GALLERY: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fdnyhome/sets/72157637133411574/

ant241 and PEMO3 like this

I know Westchester doesn't need as many or all of the tools that FDNY got, but could some of them do good here for the next storm? Has WCDES or department purchased any gear specifically for water rescue and storms after Sandy?

Who drives these FDNY trucks I want in!

FDNY firefighters....

I know it was a pretty stupid question but I just feel like literally anyone in Emergency Services can operate them. Sucks that its only limited to the FDNY. In a situation like hurricane sandy having a list of disaster volunteers to assist with logistics and moving of vehicles and operations would be very useful since they basically the OEM of NYC.

I know it was a pretty stupid question but I just feel like literally anyone in Emergency Services can operate them. Sucks that its only limited to the FDNY. In a situation like hurricane sandy having a list of disaster volunteers to assist with logistics and moving of vehicles and operations would be very useful since they basically the OEM of NYC.

the unions would never allow it. They want their paid guys doing the work so their members get more money and possibly have more opening to hire new people to bring onto the job and their union. Also, I'm sure the city doesn't really want to deal with the mess of having volunteers doing active rescue work since then they would have to worry about training, keeping people qualified, LODDs, etc. when they have and still do put all that training into the fire fighters and police officers, as well as pay and give benifits

Any ideas what ConEd and the MTA purchased? (Did LIPA go bankrupt or did they make changes after the storm too?)

Who "really" picked up the tab for this equipment? I'd suspect that if it was anyone but NYC taxpayers there is some MOU ensuring it's availability outside NYC proper? In which case you'd either get and FDNY operator or the keys.

EJS1810 likes this

I know Westchester doesn't need as many or all of the tools that FDNY got, but could some of them do good here for the next storm? Has WCDES or department purchased any gear specifically for water rescue and storms after Sandy?

Westchester needs responders, more specialized equipment without personnel will sit and rot, since we have no one to operate it.

And the training that FDNY recieved was made available after OFPC cancelled training that had already been agreed to in writing for over a year to other depts. because FDNY needed it more than anyone else according to OFPC.

Who "really" picked up the tab for this equipment? I'd suspect that if it was anyone but NYC taxpayers there is some MOU ensuring it's availability outside NYC proper? In which case you'd either get and FDNY operator or the keys.

You will never get the keys and the MOU always says "if available"

Federal grant money, of course. So you actually paid for part of it from Maine.

Nope. That's a major assumption and you're flat out WRONG. Just like not everyone can operate an ambulance or a fire truck. They need training and supervision!

There are volunteer and voluntary groups registered with NYC OEM to support major disaster operations. They don't just take volunteers off the street. They're all vetted and registered and trained through one group or another. Few, if any, operate city owned vehicles either.

Westchester needs responders, more specialized equipment without personnel will sit and rot, since we have no one to operate it.

And the training that FDNY recieved was made available after OFPC cancelled training that had already been agreed to in writing for over a year to other depts. because FDNY needed it more than anyone else according to OFPC.

You will never get the keys and the MOU always says "if available"

Westchester desperately needs more responders! Another problem is that many volunteers are counted more than once. One member is in a VAC, VFD, Haz-Mat Team, CERT, and/or other teams so it looks like there are six people when in reality there's just one body.

Bnechis likes this

Federal grant money, of course. So you actually paid for part of it from Maine.

Not to worry I'm enjoying the fresh air in my station that you all helped pay for! ;)

Bnechis and PCFD ENG58 like this