Followers 0
BFD389RET

"Man dies after firefighters won't cross street to help, daughter says"

14 posts in this topic

Posted: 2014-01-30 10:50:52

Updated: 2014-01-30 21:23:43

By Josh Levs
CNN

(CNN) - Marie Mills held her 77-year-old father, who had collapsed outside in a Washington street. She screamed for help.

A passerby rushed across the street to bang on the door of a fire station, knowing that firefighters are trained to provide emergency medical help.

But they wouldn't leave the station.

The same thing happened when two more people tried to summon the firefighters for assistance, Mills says.

"We looked across the street at the fire station. There was a firefighter that was actually standing against the fire apparatus," she told CNN affiliate WJLA. "Everybody started trying to wave him over." But the firefighter said he had to be dispatched first.

"I even ran to the curb and said, 'Are you going to help me or let my dad die?'" said Mills.......

the rest of the story here:

http://www.wfsb.com/story/24590456/man-dies-after-firefighters-wont-cross-street-to-help-daughter-says#.Uuu5y_y71IM.facebook

That's absolutely unacceptable in my opinion. Especially with the address mix up. That easily could've been avoided had they gone to help and radioed that they were across the street from their station. Walk ups happen all the time. You don't tell them to call 911 first before you do anything to help them.

I find it hard to believe that the FF's refused to respond because they were not dispatched. I'm thinking there might be more to this then meets the eye.

Stepjam likes this

I question this too. It's common human decency, and if they were that rigid about procedure, the house could have called dispatch themselves (I think?). I doubt this is the whole story.

I hope there is more to the story and that we hear what it is. We used to call walk-ins 'still alarms'. We called dispatch and advised of our 'in service' status for the 'still alarm'. We did not seek, nor ask, for permission to respond to the call. Once the request for assistance is made at the station, the OIC calls the shots until relieved or countermanded by a senior officer.

I've never heard it any other way, I hope the story is inaccurate, but wasn't there a story last year about some EMT's that wouldn't treat a woman because they weren't formally dispatched. Is this another example of legalities and potential liability getting in the way of rendering assistance. We have read many stories recently about the refusal or reluctance to render aid such as the woman found unconscious in the health club or a patient in a nursing home where the employees would not go against strict company policy for fear of losing their jobs by assisting and submitting the company to liability.

On one of the other websites, some higher-up said that the person was "a brand new probationary employee" based on that, I wonder if maybe the person they flagged down was a mechanic or janitor or someone else who might have been confused for a firefighter.

This is very sad to hear about , I hope that from what was said in the papers that if it truly was an active in house Eng. , Truck, Rescue or other company . The person who answered the door should have had a little common sense to activate in house alert I:e station p.a. ,officer phone and then should have assisted asap. I hope that at the least he and some in the company are trained to the level of M.R.T. ,EMT. or Paramedics. We have these incidents all the time ,Walkins ,Drive-ups ,even sidewalk in front of station emergencies. We always respond and render care after notifying fire communications dispatch . It is a sort of Embarasment to the profession of all Emergency responders Fire ,Police ,EMS . to hear of this situation .

The blog www.statter911.com has been following this story very closely. Dave Statter is a former WUSA TV reporter and volunteer fireman, and his credentials get him access not afforded many others. The house LT has been placed on desk duty. The LT also has a Hx of being locked up for felony theft. The blog also has her incident report posted.

For those not following DCFD history, these other events: DCFD under dourt mandated improvement plan as part of multi-million $$ setrtlement in a wrongful death; court mandated competency testing showed 3 of first 300 members tested had EMS competency; an FD Lt stabbed an EMT in the station; a family called for a child DIB- crew said it was an RMA but DID NOT WRITE ANY REPORT, child dies in less than 24 hours later; medic found incompetent in testing was allowed to remain on the job, later she told a chest pain pt it was indeigestion, and he soon died. And now this.

I haven't followed Statter but I did follow the old watchdesk forums. Based on that, Ellerbe (DCFEMS chief) needs to go, NOW. Everyone should be calling for his immediate resignation

from one of my other forums some of members Follow things even more so.. The station officer in question supposedly has retired
she has quite an extreme History both with the department as well as outside the department it seems...
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2459141...r-fire-station

Some from the article - please read for full description...

Now FOX 5 has learned the lieutenant in charge of that firehouse appears to be throwing one of her own under the bus.

The lieutenant’s name is Kellene Davis. She has been removed from command.

She wrote a letter (letter within article) to Fire Chief Kenneth Ellerbe. In it, she is blaming the whole thing on a firefighter who she says disobeyed her command. (which has come into question)
Unrelated Bizzare Charges against same Officer

Fire lieutenant files for retirement after probePosted: Jan 31, 2014 11:53 AM ESTUpdated: Jan 31, 2014 6:02 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) - A District of Columbia fire lieutenant who commanded a station where a man collapsed across the street and didn't receive care has submitted her retirement papers.

A spokesman for the city's deputy mayor for public safety said Friday that Lt. Kellene Davis has filed for retirement.

Davis and another firefighter had been placed on administrative leave as city officials investigate the station's response to the death of Medric Mills. Relatives say Mills went into cardiac arrest on Saturday afternoon in a shopping center parking lot and later died. They say several people went across the street to the station, but no firefighters or emergency medical workers walked over to help.

Mayor Vincent Gray has called the incident "an outrage." He said those involved failed to show "common decency."

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/24600419/fire-lieutenant-files-for-retirement-after-probe#ixzz2sOwb2qQv
Follow us: @fox5newsdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook

What a disgrace to the uniform.

And that goes for the Fire Chief as well. What no PIO to at least keep the press informed if you feel like running from the story and cameras? I can tell you from past experiences you need to get in front of a bad story...and fast. They are loosing the public trust of the community and thats about the worst thing that can happen to a Fire Department. JMO.

antiquefirelt and BFD389RET like this

They are loosing the public trust of the community and thats about the worst thing that can happen to a Fire Department. JMO.

Loosing? that was a long time ago, Then again what is the public expectation in a city that re-elects a mayor with a known criminal/drug history

CFI609D likes this

Loosing? that was a long time ago, Then again what is the public expectation in a city that re-elects a mayor with a known criminal/drug history

Not really to familiar with DCFD, just commenting on the "death threats" the firehouse are receiving that was reported in the news clip. I wanted to read the book by Chief Dennis Rubin, DC Fire, but have not. I know he had a rough time when he was in charge there.