Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Memphis Maydays

10 posts in this topic

MEMPHIS, TN -

(WMC-TV) - In chilling audio recorded during a distress call, a firefighter who lost his way inside a warehouse pleaded for help. One victim shouted "Mayday" multiple times.

Full article: http://www.wmctv.com/story/24769641/fire-fighters-plead-for-help-amid-safety-concerns

AUDIO:

Glad i wasnt on the other end of that Mayday. "Your out of air"? Hang on while we do a PAR. WTF?

Edited by PHIL78
dbfd41 likes this

Terrilble communications, total lack of urgency, and no real gameplan for recovering mayday victim.

PHIL78 likes this

Terrilble communications, total lack of urgency, and no real gameplan for recovering mayday victim.

Sad to say that's more often the norm in way to many FD's.

SageVigiles, 16fire5 and BFD1054 like this

Recently there was some back an forth between the union and the director (chief) about closing companies and a fatal fire. While reading about it I came across the boss's resume. Appears pretty light in the experience category. How does this relate? If the boss really had no use for working in the field it's hard to believe he will take any interest in what goes on there.

http://www.memphistn.gov/Government/FireServices/Administration/AlvinDBenson.aspx

x635 and TimesUp like this

Sad to say that's more often the norm in way to many FD's.

Sad thing is it really does not have to be this way. Even if you have no money you can train on giving maydays. Teach your members to shut up when there is one and run command officers through scenarios. I think a squared away IC in today's environment should be using a tactical worksheet and on the back or on a separate sheet you should have a MAYDAY checklist. All you need is some people with radios and a simple MAYDAY scenario to run the IC through the procedure. In reality if you never ran through one there is little chance for you to run one smoothly during an emergency.

x635, xchief2x, Bnechis and 1 other like this

After not being able to identify the mayday the I.C. came up with a great plan. Find the mayday and bring him outside so he can see who it is. #trainwreck

x635, Jybehofd, BFD1054 and 1 other like this

Sad thing is it really does not have to be this way. Even if you have no money you can train on giving maydays. Teach your members to shut up when there is one and run command officers through scenarios. I think a squared away IC in today's environment should be using a tactical worksheet and on the back or on a separate sheet you should have a MAYDAY checklist. All you need is some people with radios and a simple MAYDAY scenario to run the IC through the procedure. In reality if you never ran through one there is little chance for you to run one smoothly during an emergency.

Well said.

The other issue, particularly in smaller depts. is calling enough (Trained) personnel to the scene, accountability (which too many think toe tags cover) and discipline (no free lancing and company integrity).

Way too often, depts. are so short staffed at incidents that if something goes wrong, they have no one left to cover the problem.

x635 and BFD1054 like this

Well said.

The other issue, particularly in smaller depts. is calling enough (Trained) personnel to the scene, accountability (which too many think toe tags cover) and discipline (no free lancing and company integrity).

Way too often, depts. are so short staffed at incidents that if something goes wrong, they have no one left to cover the problem.

Yeah but this aint no small Dept. Approx 1600 guys, 52 Stations so im guessing maybe 300 per shift. There shouldnt have been any lack of personel. This seems to me to be just a total lack of preparation especially by the IC. But whos gunna tell him he needs to go through some serious Mayday procedure training.

BFD1054, Bnechis and 16fire5 like this

Wow, what a cluster f**k! As other members have stated, this can obviously happen in any sized dept. But this is a large, decently staffed metropolitan fire department.

In my opinion, there was way to much unnecessary radio traffic when the channel should have been cleared for the Mayday. The IC states on numerous occasions for members to "come on outside" for face to face PAR. Hey Chief, there's probably a pretty damn good reason the member making the Mayday isn't coming out.

Lets face it, hearing the transmission "mayday mayday mayday" is probably the worst thing you'll ever hear on a fire ground. But it is something we all need to be prepared to handle, regardless of the size of your FD, career or volunteer.

Members need to be trained in self-escape methods, as well as knowing when and how to transmit a Mayday. I know its very easy for me to type this on a computer. Luckily i've never had to transmit a mayday and i pray i never will have to.

Being in such a position must be a very, very scary moment. The poor guy making the mayday call must have been thinking "WTF" while listening to the radio transmissions. I couldn't imagine having to call a mayday and then listening as it seems there is no clear plan on coming to my aid.

Ironically, my FD conducted a drill on calling the mayday just last week. We went over several case studies, including the Black Sunday fire and listening to those transmissions.

We also went over some of the acronyms including LUNAR; Location, Unit, Name, Assignment and Resources that may be needed to rescue the downed member.

This is something that needs to be drilled and trained on, as often as possible. Include calling a mayday during simple drills and when you re-cert in your bail-out procedures.

Unfortunately we seem to be re-active in many aspects of the fire service. At the very least, we need to pay attention to these incidents and make every damn attempt we can to learn from them.

Stay safe

Edited by BFD1054