Flashpoint

Punishing SCBA's

4 posts in this topic

Our department recently went through flashover simulation training, including a couple of rounds in a flashover simulator.

Is it "normal" for SCBA's to undergo repeated extreme conditions, such as flashovers, back to back, several times? Some of our SCBA's look worse for the wear after going in several times with several different firefighters, and our chief assures us this is what SCBA's are designed for. I know SCBA's are designed to go into fires repeatedly during their service life, but I thought I remember our SCBA vendor telling us that SCBA's need a check up after undergoing extreme fire conditions.

Bottom of Da Hill likes this

Of course that's what your SCBA vendor will tell you... He wants your $$$$. But seriously, how bad are they and what exactly happened to them?

BFD1054 likes this

We've seen the SCBA straps, cylinders and mostly the masks suffer damage from flashover training. We had to replace several masks from it. My suggestion (and by no means am I an SCBA expert) would be to have your vendor assess the cylinders that appear discolored as a precaution. The straps and other components may need to be checked as well, unless you feel they can make it to their next routine annual/biennial test.

BFD1054, AFS1970, x635 and 1 other like this

Would you have a 2nd party inspect your turnout coat if it went through the same thing and showed signs of thermal degradation?

I would at least have my facepiece looked at if not the lens replaced on the spot. The only thing I have agreed with NFPA 1981 (scba standard) in a long time is THE FACEPIECE IS THE WEAK LINK. Most guys don't realize that (pre nfpa 2013) facepieces only needed to perform a minimum of 200 degrees. The nfpa 2013 facepieces are tested to 500 degree minimum.

I bet no one is complaining about their salty looking helmets though!

x635, BFD1054, Bnechis and 1 other like this