x635

Graduation held for 24 new Yonkers firefighters

5 posts in this topic

YONKERS - A total of 24 probationary firefighters graduated from a rigorous 17-week training course and will join Yonkers’ bravest.

A ceremony for the graduating class was held Friday in downtown Yonkers.

http://westchester.news12.com/news/graduation-held-for-24-new-yonkers-firefighters-1.9791361

BFD1054, FDNY 10-75 and trauma74 like this

Just curious, how different is the YFD Academy from the Westchester Career Fire Academy? I've heard they use their own instructors, but is there any difference in certifications ?

Just curious, how different is the YFD Academy from the Westchester Career Fire Academy? I've heard they use their own instructors, but is there any difference in certifications ?

I'm sure that the curriculum is much more focused on YFD specific operations. I can't speak from experience, but I'm sure that easy comparisons could be made to FDNY Proby School. The basics are largely eclipsed by Dept. specific operations, such as positions in the ladder, positions in the engine and what each companies responsibilities are depending on being 1st due, 2nd due, ect....

I know from checking my transcript with the State OFPC, I didn't' receive many certs by attending The Rock. From my 6 months (yup used to be that long) in the academy I received:

National FireFighter 1& 2

CPAT

Building Construction (Both Combustible and non)

National Haz-Mat Ops.

When you are sent back for Chauffeur training school you don't even receive an EVOC certificate.

The point is, career academies don't have a great need for state courses. They're just too general and each large department has developed their own SOP's and a curriculum that suits their specific needs.

The Westchester Career academy has the challenge of teaching to a range of candidates who will encounter a wider variety of daily operations when they graduate to their individual departments.

That is the magic with just about every state law- they apply everywhere except "cities with a population of 1 million or greater" (NYC) I agree with M'Ave- the state courses are very broad- they have their place. Can't imagine the topics covered would be superior to a department-specific course developed for a large department like FDNY.