Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
21Truck

Hahn Apparatus

35 posts in this topic

Who still has or had a Hahn apparatus at one time or another and what did they like about it and if it's missed. Down in jersey where i grew up there were 2 and the one i was wround I loved riding and had a lot of history to it

Down in jersey where i grew up there were 2 and the one i was wround I loved riding and had a lot of history to it

Manalapan Twp Fire Company #1 (also known as Millhurst FC) operates two Hahn engines:

26-2-77, seen here - http://www.mtfc1.org/77.htm

and

26-2-95, seen here - http://www.mtfc1.org/95.htm

Chappaqua's Ladder 3 (Retired) and Engine 144 (Refurbed to Pierce Lance I believe) were late '70s Hahn's if I recall correctly.

Archville may still run a Hahn as well (E-235) but I'm not positive on that.

City of Rye Engine 193 1981? Hahn. Most likely to be retired in the next year or two.

Hastings E46 is a 1984 Hahn with top mount pump, still in service as a front line engine.

Also Nyack has an 84' as well, as a front line engine for Jackson Hose #3.

Wolf, I'm originally from Garfiled NJ where we had a 66/84 hahn and an 86 hahn engine

Pleasantville still runs a 1980 Hahn rescue/pumper. The new one will be here by the end of the year. Archville still running there's

Verplanck still has a Hahn, I believe it is Engine 128. I can't remember what year it is...

Ardsley Quint 1, I mean Ladder 50, is a 88 LTI/Hahn.

Gotta love the sound of a Hahn! R47 for its age, is a great handling piece of apparatus =D> . Yahoo used to have a group dedicated to Hahn Fire apparatus, but I have not visited it in a while.

There's also a very good book out on Hahn, part of the "Apparatus Photo Archive" series by Iconografix.

HAHN FIRE APPARATUS 1923-1990 Photo Archive, Tom W. Shand, 2002

Hahn was a medium size manufacturer of durable, reliable fire apparatus, similar to Crown fire apparatus but with an East Coast focus.  

Unlike many other smaller manufacturers, Hahn produced its own custom chassis as well as building on other manufacturers’ chassis. Its chassis was also used by other small truck manufacturers.  

Hahn made a variety of apparatus, from tractor-drawn ladder trucks, to rear mounted aeñals. Hahn’s designs were very unique & identifiable. Very little has been published on Hahn in the past.  

This book uses previously unpublished photographs and many factory delivery shots document the story of Hahn from its inception to its demise.  

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:  

Tom Shand has worked in the fire apparatus field since 1981 and is presently employed by American LaFrance, as sales manager at the Hamburg facility. Previously he was Vice President of apparatus sales at Salisbury Fire Apparatus, Fire Protection. He has also worked in fire service for various organizations since 1971.  

In addition to co-authoring Young Fire Equipment 1932-1991 Photo Archive, Shand is a contributing editor to Fire Apparatus Journal. He has written numerous articles on fire apparatus and military fire apparatus.  

10 1/4" x 8 1/2",128 pages, 122 B&W photos, softcover, ISBN: 1-58388-077-1, BH0251 / $29.95  

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/books/bh0251.shtml

Available from http://www.fire-police-ems.com/books/bh0251.shtml

E106 in Mt. Kisco was a 1980 Hahn, it was refurbed in 1993 by Pierce. Engine and pump are original, everything else was replaced. It has quite an interesting sound to it now after the refurb.

Chappaqua's Engine 144 was a 1974 American Lafrance Pacemaker, not a Hahn.

Archville Engine 236 is a monster of a Hahn, Pocantico Hills Engine 190, Nyack Jackson Hose Co. No. 3 (The Green Hornet), Haverstraw has a green Hahn, Ossining's old Engine 96, Mahopac has/had a rescue mounted on a Hahn chassis

Tarrytown Engine 78 (Washington Engine) is a 1980 Hahn 1000 GPM Pumper

check it out at www.tarrytownfd.com

I stand corrected about E-144... I do however think that Ladder 3 was a Hahn... Am I wrong?

Fishkil in Dutchess Cty. still runs a Hahn engine.

Correct, Chappaqua had a 1983 Hahn 106ft. Firespire RMA.

New Canaan CT. Still opertes a 1976 Hahn Pumper as a spare unit. They also had a 1979 Hahn pumper which was rebuilt with a Pierce cab and body. That truck has been retired.

Bedford Hills had a 1979 International Hahn pumper that was recently retired.

Archville also had a 1965 International/Hahn pumper. The rig was white and sported a Cincinatti Cab.

Ossining had a 1976 Hahn pumper, retired in 1999 by a Seagrave.

New City (Rockland Co.) had 1976 and 1982 Hahn Pumpers.

Orangeburg (Rockland Co.) has Hahn pumpers from 1982 and 1986. They owned at one point a Hahn/LTI tower ladder from the late 1970's.

Tallman (Rockland Co.) had a Hahn/Saulsbury Rescue which has been retired and a 1977 Hahn pumper that was refurbed with a new Pierce cab and body.... I believe it has been retired.

Spring Valley (Rockland Co.) Columbian Engine Co. had a 1977 Hahn Pumper which was lime yellow... It retired around 1995, replaced by a blue Sutphen pumper.

West Nyack (Rockland Co.) has a 1985 Hahn Pumper.

Verplanck has a lime green Hahn Pumper of 1980 vintage.

New Hamburg Company 2. (Dutch. Co.) has a 1982/3 Hahn pumper in service. It is Yellow and White.

On an interesting note, Hahn once built the bodywork for many Mack fire apparatus between 1958 and say 1962. Some Westchester Mack deliveries with Hahn bodywork include:

Chappaqua NY 1960 Mack C -85 pumper # 1134

North Tarrytown (Rescue Hose) 1960 Mack C pumper.

Bedford Village 1962 Mack B pumper.

Millwood Mack B95 Tanker Pumper with Tandem Axles # 1144.

Those are the only ones I know of, however there may have been more. That information is thanks to Frank Boyd.

Moved down to Virginia in 1978, became active volunteer here around 1980 in Dumfries-Triangle, and now in Spotsylvania, Va. All they had down here for years were Hahns. The MACK of the South I called them.

They ran great, pumped great, and all pre-electronic transmissions and engine controls.

We still have two active down here in my county, one a referb tanker the other a reserve engine now.

Company One's station has an access panel on the floor that still has the Rooster painted on it, and if the older guys have their way, it will ahng on the wall in the new station next year.

And YES I loved that sound they made when the jake brake kicked in!!!!!

Bridgeport Ct FD engine 3 as well as 5 i believe are both Hahn's they may have a few more floating around their reserve fleet someplace.

Hahn apparatus that I know of that are in Connecticut

Bridgeport = Engine 3, Engine 5 (now disbanded by the Mayor. BOO!!!!) and a spare

New Cannan = Had a Hahn engine which I think is a spare Engine 9

Nichols FD in Trumbull - at one time had all hahns. Engine 302 and truck 304 ("Fresh air and Sunshine") which is a air, lighting and tactical truck. Engine 301 was sold a couple of years ago and was replaced recently by a Seagrave, and Engine 305 which I beleive was sold recently.

Derby - Storm Engine = Ran a 1960's Hahn up until 1996 when it was replaced witha Pierce Arrow. The engine is now owned by the Birmingham Fire Association apparatus club.

Seymour = Engine 13 was a 1982 Hahn pumper that was replaced around 2000. It is in actrive service in New Haven as Engine 16 (now all white) and Great Hill Hose Engine 16 was a twin to Engine 13 and was recently replaced.

Shelton = Quad 30 is a newer Hahn (i beleive it a HCP-15 model) with a Ranger walk in rescue body in service at Huntington Co. 3. Also Co. 3 had a 1960's Hahn pumper that was refurbished in the late 80's early 90's that was retired from service in 2001. Engine 2 at Echo Hose Co. 1 was retired from service in 2002 and sold and I belive that went into service with the department who bought it. White Hill CO. 5 is retireing Engine 53 a 1970's Hahn and it's being shipped down to Louisiana or Mississippi (donated).

UCONN - Storrs = Still Have a 1980's Hahn engine in service

New Haven = Engine 16 at Light House Point Station (near Tweed-New Haven Airport) runs Seymour's old Engine 13 Hahn

Hamden - Dunbar Hill Vol. Engine 8 is a 1970's Engine

Bethany - Engine 82 is a refurbed Hahn pumper bough from West Haven during the 90's

West Shore FD - West Haven - Engine 33 is a refurbished Hahn pumper at the main station. Currently a reserve / Vol. piece

North Branford - ET 11 is formerly a Hahn that was rebuild with an E-One glider kit and I beleive Engine 2 in Nortford is a Hahn

Waterbury I beleive still have some Hahns left as spares.

I wish Hahn, as well as Maxim and Mack would reform and build trucks again.

Izzy

Ossinings 1976 Hahn Engine Replaced in 1999 by Seagrave Engine. It was Manual and sounded Great coming down the road, could always tell what was approaching N. High from Snowden First.

post-2471-1139531489.jpg

Edited by ONLOCATION

RiverView Manor Hose Co.'s (Engine 46) Hahn Engine Still in service, unknown what year.

post-2471-1139566946.jpg

Engine 46 is 1984.

Currently we are doing the rig committee thing for replacement.

Still pumps great but electrical is going and it sucks going up hills.

Ossinings 1976 Hahn Engine Replaced in 1999 by Seagrave Engine. It was Manual and sounded Great coming down the road, could always tell what was approaching N. High from Snowden First.

If i'm not mistaken, this rig is in Lake George Escape campground for Fire truck rides during the camping season.