Flashpoint

$1 Million Missing From The Patterson (Putnam) FD

15 posts in this topic

The article is subscriber only, but Federal Authorities supposedly uncovered the money missing during the Mahopac probe.

In a dramatic expansion of possible wrongdoing, a second volunteer fire department in Putnam County is now under investigation for suspected alleged misuse of taxpayer dollars. Word was received over the long holiday weekend that the Patterson Fire Department was the subject of an audit following a reported $1 million missing from department accounts.

http://www.putnamcountycourier.com/news/2015-12-31/Front_Page/Up_in_Smoke_1_Million_Missing_from_Patterson_Fire_.html

FDNY 10-75 likes this

Makes sense. I've heard a lot of dissention between those in charge and the membership in the past couple of years over finances and the such.

SageVigiles likes this

I hope this isn't just the tip of the iceberg for departments in Putnam County. If it is, there's got to be a lot of departments scrambling right now.

http://news.hamlethub.com/brewster/publicsafety/1040-patterson-fd-finances-under-scrutiny

If you look at the findings of the NYS Comptrollers Office and all the reports they prepare, there is a a recurring theme. Poor oversight and accountability relating to finance. When are we going to address the problems associated with having unprepared and unqualified people running multi-million dollar businesses?

x635 likes this

This isn't simply a Putnam county issue or NY state issue, the probelm is nationwide. Dept's and towns can either get out in front of the issue (Strong financial controls and audits) or get run over when the issue pops up.

I'd love to see where the money went and to who. $1 million is far more then poor accounting. I heard they had a funky way for funding their apparatus.

FDNY 10-75 likes this

This isn't simply a Putnam county issue or NY state issue, the probelm is nationwide. Dept's and towns can either get out in front of the issue (Strong financial controls and audits) or get run over when the issue pops up.

Agreed. Excesses and outright theft abound across the spectrum of departments nationwide and more often than not it turns out such activity was / is no secret. The corrupt are usually only a very small percentage but the root of the problem goes much deeper than just the guilty. Bottom line: knowing this stuff is going on and doing nothing about it makes one as guilty as the guilty...and a coward too.

Dinosaur likes this

I'd love to see where the money went and to who. $1 million is far more then poor accounting. I heard they had a funky way for funding their apparatus.

More than $1.00 is more than poor accounting! This is allegedly a fire protection district and under contract to the Town of Patterson. They are accountable, albeit indirectly, to the taxpayers of the town who fund their operations. The days of ignoring things "because they're volunteers" has to be over!

$6M from two Putnam FD's. Uncovered at roughly the same time. That speaks volumes about the over-budgeting and complete lack of fiscal responsibility in these two organizations. It's a disgrace and gives the entire fire service a black eye.

$6M would fund many years of operations and/or procurement of new equipment/apparatus. To think that it is "gone" is inexcusable.

Edited by Dinosaur
x635, BFD1054 and FDNY 10-75 like this

It bet they bought a lot of beer with that money

Yep....another big parade fire company, with the biggest band money can buy .

FDNY 10-75 likes this

The place and its LEADERSHIP is a Joke!!!!!!

Incompetent and inexperienced....except for one guy if you ask him!!!

Karma sucks. :-) A pleasure watching it unfold

I am waiting to see what the investigations actually turn up before I start throwing accusations or other negative comments around willy-nilly.

Throwing accusations?? Money is missing!! Someone ( or a few people :-) are responsible. You will see!! As far as negative comments, by saying the leadership is "incompetent and inexperienced" is not negative, it's the truth!!! Both, Firematically, and Administratively. When the details do eventually surface, someone will be held accountable for the loss of money which will deem them "incompetent." Apparently you're not familiar with the leadership themselves. If you lived in the town you'd quickly realize they're running on limited, incompetent manpower....Geee, I wonder why that is....piss poor leadership.The words "inexperienced and incompetent" is BEING NICE!!!!! Not to mention the TRUTH!!!! Ask members from surrounding depts what they think of the leadership. Trust me, if you only knew!!!! They deserve everything that's coming their way!!!! They finally met their match with someone they can't push around like they've done with everyone else!!!!"The sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences." That my friends is the definition of Karma!!!! Enjoy....