Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Winter Storm 2016

15 posts in this topic

Anybody have any predictions with this upcoming storm on Friday? Are we going to get hit hard, or is this going to be a repeat of that blizzard that was supposed to hit us hard but barely touched us like last year?

If the storms continues as they think it will, I think the city will get a good amount of snow and the further north you go, the less snow you'll see, such as Orange County will get a couple inches

It's still too early to tell. At the airport we don't take weather seriously until within 48 hours of the event. Within 24 hours we start preparing snow removal teams and informing the airlines of the latest trends and models from the NWS.

This one is probably going to be a doozy. Buy some food, some booze, and sit back and relax!

BFD1054, E106MKFD and EmsFirePolice like this

I agree....GET OVER IT...just something for the weather guessers to talk about no need to clear the shelves at the local Stop and Shop....

BFD1054 likes this

I think everybody is going to be lulled into complacency because of the fail of the last "Blizzard" and the pushback against the media hype. I think we are going to get walloped by this one. I'm kind of looking forward to it, especially if I don't lose power or TV and I can get some shots of Greenburgh and Ardsley Highway Dept plows in action.

And this was an interesting article. It's about NYC's Secret Winter Weapon, a guy name Mitch:

http://gothamist.com/2016/01/21/mitch_snow_weather_king.php

dwcfireman likes this

Seth...the way they were cleaning the shelves at Stop and Shop in Yonkers,I would say there was not much media hype pushback,they bought it hook line and sinker....we'll see come saturday.....cheers,anyway hope you enjoy the snow....joe

I think we are going to get walloped by this one.

I don't know, Seth...It looks like the models are pushing the storm southward, and the majority of forecasts are now saying 4 to 12 inches (as to possibly up to 30 inches as forecasted earlier this week).

My guess: 6 inches.

Greenburgh Highway Department Truck 29, a 2010 Mack Granite 10x10, with a Henderson Asphalt Muni Body Spreader, getting ready for this weekend's storm this morning.

post-11-0-13768600-1453497773.jpg

Looks like we got walloped lol. I've got close to a foot here in Ardsley.

Ardsley Highway Department Truck 1, 2010 International Workstar 6x6 plowing Ashford Ave westbound this afternoon.

post-11-0-84294800-1453586236.jpg

INIT915, dwcfireman and BFD1054 like this

Yeah, my prediction was off by a few inches haha. However, it's nice to be home after plowing the airport for two days (PS HPN stayed open the whole storm!)

Seth.....I'll admit it...you were right,hat's off to you....all the best...joe (ps...i hate snow)

LOL. I guarantee the next storm they overhype, and it will fizzle out. I like snow as long as I don't have to go out in it, drive anywhere, or shovel it.

Did anyone see one of the nydot's new tow plows in action?

I'm hoping to find that out and see photos too.

Yeah, my prediction was off by a few inches haha. However, it's nice to be home after plowing the airport for two days (PS HPN stayed open the whole storm!)

That's quite an undertaking for HPN I assume. What are you guys using to plow?

dwcfireman likes this