Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreatPlains588

West Virginia Volunteer Fire Department adds ‘In God We Trust' to fire trucks

12 posts in this topic

What if certain firefighters don't place their trust in god. Maybe since the department and community is so heavily involved in religion, that they're terrified to speak their mind for fear of being shunned or mocked. Or what if they place their faith in Allah? This isn't about political correctness, but about what your department is now representing. Technically it's a government entity and it should not be endorsing ANY religion or lack there of. Could you imagine the uproar if the department placed "There is no God," or "Allah Akbar" on the side of their apparatus because someone donated their time and money to put it on?

I'm all for individual PEOPLE believing whatever they want to believe. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhist, Amish, Scientology, Atheism, Pastafarianisim Flying Spaghetti Monster, but leave it out of the organization of the Fire Department. Don't ram it down my throat, or try and convert me, and I won't ram my beliefs down yours and try and convert you. And before people think I'm bashing religion, or accuse me of being someone who think's religion is evil, if what you believe makes you happy, doesn't harm or hamper anyone else's happiness or way of life, I'm all for it.

Edited by Morningjoe
vwwh1, INIT915, COH Bulldog and 2 others like this

15 minutes ago, Morningjoe said:

What if certain firefighters don't place their trust in god. Maybe since the department and community is so heavily involved in religion, that they're terrified to speak their mind for fear of being shunned or mocked. Or what if they place their faith in Allah? This isn't about political correctness, but about what your department is now representing. Technically it's a government entity and it should not be endorsing ANY religion or lack there of. Could you imagine the uproar if the department placed "There is no God," or "Allah Akbar" on the side of their apparatus because someone donated their time and money to put it on?

Depending on their funding and organizational set up, the argument can be made that they technically aren't really a government entity, but rather a private entity.  As a private entity, they can more of less do whatever they want to within the law.  Within that, if it was a democratic decision within the rules of the organization, then the concept of "majority rules" applies.  Not everyone always agrees with every choice an organization makes.  The phrase itself does not actually endorse any specific religion since the term "God" is pretty much common across most religions.  I agree that there would be an uproar if one of the other phrases you listed were put on the apparatus.

15 minutes ago, Morningjoe said:

I'm all for individual PEOPLE believing whatever they want to believe. Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhist, Amish, Scientology, Atheism, Pastafarianisim Flying Spaghetti Monster, but leave it out of the organization of the Fire Department. Don't ram it down my throat, or try and convert me, and I won't ram my beliefs down yours and try and convert you. And before people think I'm bashing religion, or accuse me of being someone who think's religion is evil, if what you believe makes you happy, doesn't harm or hamper anyone else's happiness or way of life, I'm all for it.

We can certainly debate the appropriateness of marking their vehicles in this way, but it's a far cry from ramming it down anyone's throat.  At it's core, it's advertising and there is little functional difference between seeing the message on a fire truck vs a billboard vs a sign in front of a church vs someone's POV.

Additionally, the phrase "In God We Trust" is a nation motto and printed on all of our money.  As such, it can also be viewed as a symbol of patriotism similar to displaying the American Flag on apparatus.

Disclaimer: My religious affiliation is Recovered Catholic and I support an individuals right to practice their religion of choice or none at all, as long as it doesn't violate our laws.  I prefer that others afford me the same consideration.

dwcfireman and M' Ave like this

"When I am called to duty, God"

This is the opening line of the Fireman's Prayer.  God is the seventh word.  Just saying.

But, in all honesty, who cares?  If that community and department is heavily religious, then let them have "In God We Trust" on the rigs.  If it offends enough people, then the decal can be removed.  With all of the political correctness that we have to endure, it's nice to see people showing what they believe in and practicing their First Amendment rights.

In the 1970's when i joined the P.C.F.D .I remember the last Four Words  WE all SAY when we take our OATH ( SO HELP ME GOD ). LETS ALL STAY SAFE>

Personally I have no problem with the phrase "In God we trust" but this has to be taken in the larger context of what is appropriate to the community at large. The separation of Church and State is one of our founding principles as a nation and a damn good one of you ask me. That said, I did a quick google search but didn't find an answer as to whether this VFD is a municipal agency or a private non stock corporation. My take on it is this, if the town buys the apparatus with tax dollars than it shouldn't be on the rigs. If on the other hand the rigs are bought and owned by the company and the company is a private non stock corporation than they can put whatever the Hell they want on their rigs.

dwcfireman likes this

16 hours ago, Morningjoe said:

Since liberals are so quick to point out that Allah is God, it would appear that all bases are covered in stating "in God we trust" with the exception of atheist and the PC crowd.

I think this is a great idea, one more departments should follow.

As for separating religion from the fire service, if you want to do that you will have to remove the crusader symbol from all rigs, patches, stickers, ect. Sometimes we forget that the Maltese Cross was (and still is) the symbol of the Sovereign Military Order of the Knights of Saint John, a Christian crusader army.

Let me preface this by saying I am not religious nor was I raised with religion, but I believe in God and religion has influenced parts of my life. With this said, on all of the dollar bills that have passed through my hand, every one says "In God We Trust". Every time we say the Pledge Of Allegiance, we pledge to God.  The phrase is extremely engraved and interwoven into our society already, more then people actually realize. I don't have any opinion on this matter right now, or too tired to post it, but just figured I'd point it out.

4 minutes ago, x635 said:

Let me preface this by saying I am not religious nor was I raised with religion, but I believe in God and religion has influenced parts of my life. With this said, on all of the dollar bills that have passed through my hand, every one says "In God We Trust". Every time we say the Pledge Of Allegiance, we pledge to God.  The phrase is extremely engraved and interwoven into our society already, more then people actually realize. I don't have any opinion on this matter right now, or too tired to post it, but just figured I'd point it out.

Which was placed into the Pledge during the Communism scare, and replaced "E Pluribus Unum" as the Country's motto during the Communism scare as well. Prior that, the original pledge of allegiance never mentioned religion or God.

fdalumnus and x635 like this

22 hours ago, Morningjoe said:

Which was placed into the Pledge during the Communism scare, and replaced "E Pluribus Unum" as the Country's motto during the Communism scare as well. Prior that, the original pledge of allegiance never mentioned religion or God.

Thanks for the info. I never knew that.