Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

$12.00 an hour

16 posts in this topic

That is going to be the new hourly rate for a rookie NYC Police Officer. #-o

Starting salary has just been reduced to $25,000. :roll:

How can someone possibly live like that! That is rediculous!!!

It's a shameful scandal that will only result in poor quality applicants. They are also lowering the hiring standards by now allowing applicants with some felony records. True story. Hoping the local media picks up on this whole thing too. The result will be disatrous for both NYC and neighboring communities like Yonkers that are frequented by NYC criminals.

Yeah - they'll take a felon with 60 college credits, but an outstanding citizen with no criminal record, but no college credits doesn't even get considered.

You cant even live in a trailer home in new york city for that chump change.... What are they thinking.????

They weren't.

I have a summer job working a 40 hr wk., and make just as much money as they will be. I dont have apartment payments, car payments, and insurance to worry about, yet i still make just barely enough to pay for my gas for my car to drive to and from work and the occational fire call now, and to go to the pool hall or bowling alley with my friends every now and then. Who ever made the desicion needs to take a look at what they have done and revoke it immediatly. The people protecting us should be the ones makeing millions of dollars, not some dumb b-movie actress aka Paris Hilton

From the NEW YORK POST:

June 28, 2005 -- The city's police union agreed to a new contract with the city last night — giving cops a 10 percent raise over two years, sources said.

The agreement came as an arbitrator was prepared to give the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association the double-digit retroactive raise, but was going to tie it to a series of givebacks, the sources said.

They included reduced pay for recruits in the Police Academy; stretching out the pay ladder from six to seven years; the loss of one personal day a year and allowing the NYPD to change schedules without overtime on 15 occasions a year instead of 10.

Under the deal reached last night, cops would lose the personal day, sources said. It wasn't immediately clear what other givebacks were in the deal.

The givebacks that arbitrator Eric Schmertz planned to sign off on would reduce the cost to the city of the entire package, possibly by a significant amount.

"If the net value is above 8 percent for two years, [the cops are] getting a pretty decent settlement," said one labor expert not involved in the negotiations said before last night's agreement.

"The contracts I'm doing now are in the 3 to 4 [percent] range. If they get the top of the range, they're doing well."

The PBA, which invested millions in the seven-month arbitration proceedings, is breaking the pattern set earlier by civilian unions.

Those unions settled for little more than 5 percent over three years.

One city official estimated it would cost $70 million to fund each percentage point in raises, or $700 million for all uniformed workers.

The last PBA contract expired July 31, 2002.

Cops had been starting at $34,514 and maxing out at $60,818 after 21 years. The new pay structure was not immediately known.

One source said veteran cops had been clamoring for long overdue retroactive checks averaging $12,000.

"The retro is in the forefront of everybody's mind," the source.

Yup, just another plus for going on the NYPD. The NYPD has been getting S-it for recruits now. Can you imagine what is going to be accepting a job for 12 bucks an hour. I hope there are enough people living with their parents still to fill all the open slots that the PD has. The department will tell you there is no problem with finding recruits. And if that is true. We will soon be seeing the Easter Bunny on patrol being scratched by Santa Claus. Enough said!!!

Not that i agree with it but i do that a union has to for its current members. That being said in 10 years the majority of the members might be ones that came in under this new pay schedule and would most likely vote out thier PBA president unless they are in binding arbitration which i dont think they are.

It is unconscionable when the new starting salary is only a few thousand dollars above the poverty line.

I JUST TOOK THE TEST FOR NYC BUT IF THEY GOING TO PAY ME $ 12.00 HR THEY CAN GO TO HELL YOU WON'T SEE ME WORKING THERE

$12.00 HR SHOULD = 12 COLLEGE CREDITS =D>

I think that is INSANE... I can't wait to see the recruitment efforts now.

Hey, Do you wanna get shot, stabbed, and risk being killed for $12.00 hr? TOTAL SLAP IN THE FACE AND KICK IN THE _ALLS!

(212) RECRUIT

GOOD BLESS THE NYPD!

Absolutely disgusting. How could this happen? I mean, really? This does not make sense at all to me, why would somebody even think of this?

25K a year is the same as they were making in 1986? Unfortunately these guys that are already on the job, dont give two $hits about the new breed that are coming in. Now they are just gonna attract more skells than ever, who are looking for a job with a gun and a badge, rather than a career. This dept, is headed straight down the crapper.

You are correct Bababoosky. The rank and file don't really care about the people who may or may not be trying to get on the job in the future. It's pretty much all about now. It's been that way since before we were even born. I do have to point out though that the current members of the union had no idea about the particulars of the talkes. In addition to the pay scale going down for the new people, We are loosing our personal day as well. And to top all this off. The union raised our dues a few months ago because all these legal battles are bankrupting our union.

I want to see what the city/department says when the reports of misconduct start going up. One of the findings of the Knapp Commission was that the PD officers were being paid to little and it breed corruption.