Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ONLOCATION

Helmet Color Designations

23 posts in this topic

Since We had the topic in the past few days on your prefrence of gear color. What do you think about color coding Helmets to signify Officers, Etc.

Also I know that Nyack in Rockland also goes as far as Color coding Company Helmets.

For Instance:

Millwood: Chief: White/ Capt.: Red/ Lt.'s: Yellow/ Safety Officer: Blue

Briarcliff: Chiefs: White/ Officers: Red/ Ladder Co.: Yellow

In my dept. we have gone to all black helmets, with the exception of the three front line Chiefs, and our Junior Firefighters. The way we designate in with the helmet fronts. White is officers, I would also like to designate Porbies with the Orange front shield to better signify them.

Chiefs- white helmets

Juniors- blue helmets

Officers- black helmet/white shields

We have the following designations:

White - Chiefs

Black w/white shield/2 yellow panels - Capt, Lieut.

Black - <18 Senior firefighters

Red - <18 Probationary firefighters

Green - >18 Probationary (16-18)

Peekskill Fire Department

Helmet Colors:

White = Chief

Red = Captain

Yellow = 1st LT

Orange = 2nd LT

Black/White = Safety Officer

Black = Firefighter

Blue = Prob. Firefighter

I think that Peekskill has a very good system for color coding helmets, as RWC130 said we have a very simple/ yet highly effective system.

Pelham Manor

black: Paid guys

Yellow Helmet/White Shield: Officer

Yellow/ Black Shield: Firefighter

Port Chester -

Firefighters: Black

Officer: Black w/ White front piece

Chief: White

Explorers: Orange hard-hat the last time I saw them

Some Brooksville E&H (E-62) members have red helmets

My dept which is out of Westchester does the following: Chiefs = white; line officers = yellow; firefighters = black; new member probationary & <18 yr probationary = orange; we have also implented that all black helmet FFs have large colored triangles on the back of their helmets. Red triangle = interior & Yellow triangle = extrication. With these large 4"w x 6"h scotchlite triangles you see who is where they don't belong from a great distance.

My home dept which is ardsley has the chiefs with white, officers with red, safety officer with a yellow and a firefighter with black

Where i ride in delhi the chiefs have white, the officers have yellow helmets and a shield on it that says which company they are from, the interior fireman have a red helmets and exterior fireman only have black helmets. also the juniors have black helmets. the EMS have red helmets with an EMS shield on it.

Horry County Fire/Rescue South Carolina

Helmet colors:

Chiefs-White also wearing white gear

Captains-Red

LT's-Black

Fireman-Yellow

FF/medic's can wear blue

everybody wears tan gear but the chiefs

Edited by HCFRFF

Buchanan FD helmet colors signify....

White - Chief, Assistant Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs & Chaplain

Red - Captain

Yellow - Lieutenant, 1st Lieutenant & 2nd Lieutenant

Blue - Safety Officers

Stamford Fire and Rescue went to a helmet color coding system in 1995 to readily identify officers on the fire ground. The system has worked very well for us. The coding is as follows:

White: Chief Officers

Red: Captains, Asst. Fire Marshal

Yellow: Lieutenants, Deputy Fire Marshals.

Black: Firefighters

The current frontpieces are FDNY spec (same color coding). The union is currently proposing going to a "Passport" style frontpiece with interchangable company inserts that would still follow FDNY color coding.

Be Safe out There!!!

SFRD49

I dont agree with the different colored helmets except for the white hats for one reason. For example we as firefightets in my department where black with a black and red helmet front and the officers where black helt as well with white helmet fronts, now lets say we go mutual aide wihich we do often to a town/district with different colored helmets that means thier officers etc we might not know the designation it means it begins to get confusing who is what in balck red yellow wait theres a knew one purple its just way to much to handle. I understand that its just to designate an officer from firefighter etc but keeep it simple thats why we have we have helmet fronts. In no way am i degrading departments who have the different color fronts hey if it works for your departmen then so be it i just dont see the need and to much confusion from firefighter who arent familar with your helmet designations.

Shaker Road Loudonville Fire Department (Colonie, NY)

White: Chief, 1st Assistant Chief, 2nd Assistant Chief

Red: Captains, Lieutenants

Black w/ orange tetrahedrons: FAST team fire fighters

Black w/yellow tetrahedrons: Regular firefighters

Blue: EMS, Safety and Photographer

in past years the officers of port chester would have black helmets with white face shields and the rear of the helmet would be painted white.not too many officers still paint the rear of the helmet white anymore but i did like it, it was easy to spot an officer that way.

down here in sydney australia

black: commish,dep commish

white:senior officers(dep chiefs,batt chiefs)

red:station officers(capt)

yellow:firefighters

as we are a combination dept at the retained(vollie)stations the capt wear orange helmets as we wear the same turnout gear it enables personal to tell the difference between a full time career capt and a retained capt when units are working together(this mainly happens in the out lying suberbs and at major brush fires) :unsure:

Colored helmets are great as long as you don't have a perception vs. reality problem.

Perception is you have colored helmets which signifies who and/or what you are or at least should be, not what you think you are. It does no good if you do not have policies on functions for the positions that the color of a helmet signifies. Most are running on perception. When reality is you have nothing on paper as far as responsibilities or functions. The color of a helmet doesn't make you the title, you may be more then a firefighter with a color designating a position you aren't or can't perform as needed.

How long has it been since Peekskill left the colored helmet perception? In pictures I've seen everyone in black gear and helmets with colored panels in helmet shields. Doesn't that make things more difficult to notice from behind, at distances or in smoke conditions?

Up where I am, the color coding is simple

White = Chiefs

Yellow = Captains and Lieutenants

Black = Firefighters, Fire Marshals & Chief Drivers

Red Metro Helmet = Junior Corps

In Burrville we have Black helmets for interior and yellow helmets for exterior F.F.

The officers have whits and the cadets have yellow.

In White Plains firefighters wear black helmets and Lts wear yellow helmets with white fronts and of course the chiefs wear white. I think it is a good idea to have different colored helmets for different ranks in the dept. The majority of depts all the fire fighters wear the same color helmet regardless of rank with the exception of the chiefs they always wear white helmets, as long the helmet protects you that is what is important not the color

In my dept in Connecticut, we tried doing the color coded helmets and it just became too much of a pain because a junior member recieved a yellow helmet, then a blue one once they turned 18 (blue indicates your an exterior ff) then when you passed firefighter 1 you recieved a black helmet and chiefs have white. we found it cost too much money to keep buying different helmets so now every member recieves a black helmet and we color coded the helmet shields instead. a junior firefighter has a yellow shield, non-interior/probationary firefighters have orange, interior firefighters have black shields, and officers have white shields. we found this to be more cost effective by spending $30 on a shield instead of $200 on new helmets. we also have a rule that junior and non-interior firefighters do not respond to any mutual aid call. our feeling on this is that if someone is requesting our help, they need interior firefighters and the dept recieving our aid knows how many firefighters they have coming.

SHFD

Sleepy issues 1010's or Ben II's and the helmet remains the property of the Dept.

Probationary - Black Helmet, Orange Front, "PROBATIONARY" on Top Panel.

These fronts are "modified" in house and not custom ordered. The helmets are usually older (but still NFPA compliant). Turnout gear including helmets is not purchased for a new member until they have completed FFI. They are issued older gear for class.

Firefighter - Black Helmet, Black Front, White on Red "SHFD" on Top Panel, "FIREFIGHTER" on Bottom.

Company Officer - Black Helmet, White Front, Rank on Bottom Panel, same color combination.

Chief - White Helmet, Custom Front Indicating Rank.

Henrico County, VA

Henrico issues Cairns 660 Metro's, however you are allowed to use a personally purchased helmet provided it meets the current NFPA (not OSHA) standards. That means it has to have either a face shield or goggles, not Bourkes.

Most of the people who buy their own helmet get a New Yorker, a Sam Houston or a 1010.

Firefighter - Yellow Helmet, Reflective numerals on sides indicating Company.

Red for Engines, Blue for Trucks and Squads.

If you use a Traditional Style helmet; Black Front, Black Insert for Engine Co's, Red for Truck Co's and Blue for Squads, all with White Raised Letters. White on Red "HENRICO" on Top Panel, "FIREFIGHTER" on Bottom.

Officer - Red Helmet, Black on White Crescent indicating rank over numerals on sides. Black Front's w/ same Color Coding.

Chief - White Helmet, Custom Front Indicating Rank

-cmc-

SHFD

Sleepy issues 1010's or Ben II's and the helmet remains the property of the Dept.

Probationary - Black Helmet, Orange Front, "PROBATIONARY" on Top Panel.

These fronts are "modified" in house and not custom ordered.  The helmets are usually older (but still NFPA compliant).  Turnout gear including helmets is not purchased for a new member until they have completed FFI.  They are issued older gear for class.

Firefighter - Black Helmet, Black Front, White on Red "SHFD" on Top Panel, "FIREFIGHTER" on Bottom.

Company Officer - Black Helmet, White Front, Rank on Bottom Panel, same color combination.

Chief - White Helmet, Custom Front Indicating Rank.

Henrico County, VA

Henrico issues Cairns 660 Metro's, however you are allowed to use a personally purchased helmet provided it meets the current NFPA (not OSHA) standards.  That means it has to have either a face shield or goggles, not Bourkes.

Most of the people who buy their own helmet get a New Yorker, a Sam Houston or a 1010.

Firefighter - Yellow Helmet, Reflective numerals on sides indicating Company.

Red for Engines, Blue for Trucks and Squads.

If you use a Traditional Style helmet; Black Front, Black Insert for Engine Co's, Red for Truck Co's and Blue for Squads, all with White Raised Letters. White on Red "HENRICO" on Top Panel, "FIREFIGHTER" on Bottom.

Officer - Red Helmet, Black on White Crescent indicating rank over numerals on sides.  Black Front's w/ same Color Coding.

Chief - White Helmet, Custom Front Indicating Rank

-cmc-

Greenwich has

Cheifs (paid and volunteer) - white helmets

Some Vol Capt's - Red helmets

Lt's- Black w/ white face shield

Firefighters (paid + vol.)- black

Fire Police- Red

Probys- Exploerers- Orange and Blue