Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CHIEFPHIL

Vol. co's in NYC

21 posts in this topic

How are the various volunteer co's in NYC dispatched ? Do they fall into the same chain of command ? How do they operate ?

I know only Richmond Engine Co. 1 and Oceanic Hook & Ladder in Staten Island are the only companies dispatched by FDNY's CO office there and operate on S. I Channel. I think the others either have a FDNY radio or teletype or both and thier own frequencies. They operate their own radios system inthe high band. I had the old operations manual from FDNY circa 2001/2 (Post 9-11) that described very brief about the 10 vol. companies there.

Manhattan = 0

Bronx = 2 Aviation Hose Co. 3 in Clason's Point

Edgwater VFD in Edgewater Park

Staten Island = 2

Richmond Engine Company No. 1 in Richmond

Oceanic Hook & Ladder Co. 1 in Travis

Brooklyn = 1

Gerritsen Beach Fire Volunteers, Inc. in Gerritsen Beach

Queens = 5

West Hamilton Beach VFD in Hamilton Beach

Broad Channel VFD in Broad CHannel

Roxbury VFD ibn Rockaway

Point Breeze VFD in Point Breeze

Rockaway Point VFD in Rockaway

These are the only 10 chartered vol fire departments in the city.

There is also the USCG Auxiliary Fireboat "SunCat" that is stationed on City Island and operates on all the FDNY channels. I think they are still in operations and not cut.

I know each company has their own pull box that is a local alarm for Fd. They all have signs that advise the puller to then go and pull the FDNY box and it's location.

Avation dosen't have a printer in their "quarters" but I know they monitor the boro radio, and respond on the same boxes as E93 (not sure if that's tor correct company number, but it's the engine located next to the 43 precints that they respond with).

How well do the volunteer companies work with FDNY units? Are they seen as a help or hinderence?

In the Bronx,

Aviation Hose Co. 3 - Has a total of four engines. They operate on the Bronx frequency.

Edgewater VFD - Has a total of two mini-pumpers, they operate on 154.2200 MHz

In Staten Island,

Richmond Engine Company No. 1 - Has 1 Engine, and operates on the SI frequency.

Oceanic Hook & Ladder Co. 1 - Has 1 engine and 1 Brush truck. They also operate on the SI frequency.

Both SI companies are dispatched by the FDNY SI CO.

In Brooklyn,

Gerritsen Beach Fire Volunteers, Inc. - Have 2 engines, 2 ambulances, and a rescue truck. They operate on 154.2200 MHz.

In Queens ,

West Hamilton Beach VFD - They have 2 engines, 2 ambulances, and a brush unit. They operate on Queens' frequency, 155.3400 MHz, and 155.2800 MHz.

Broad Channel VFD - Is the largest volunteer dept in the City, and has 3 engines, 1 ladder, 3 ambulances, and 2 boats. They operate on 46.4600 MHz, and 155.2800 MHz.

Roxbury VFD - Has 2 engines and 1 ambulance, they operate on 154.600 MHz, and 154.5700 MHz.

Point Breeze VFD - Has 2 engines (1 a quick attack mini). They operate on Queens frequency, 154.6000 MHz, and 154.5700 MHz.

Rockaway Point VFD in Rockaway

Rockaway Point VFD - Has 2 engines (1 a mini quick attack),and 2 ambulances. They operate on 154.6000 MHz and 154.5700 MHz.

I believe Broad Channel and West Hamilton Beach are the only companies with a teleprinter. They also have voice alarms activated by the Queens CO.

Also, Roxbury, Rockaway Pt. and Pt. Breeze operate together on fires and rescue boxes.

I will lookup the station's box numbers for you, and post them later. Hope that helps.

The rockaway (breezy point area) the FDNY box for that whole are is Box 8300

West Hamilton Beach (Howard beach) FDNY box I/F/O the fire house is queens box 2042.

And yes whbfd and broad channel have fdny printers in the fire houses WHBFD is linked the E-331 / L-173

Broad channel is Linked to E-266.

Sorry thats the best i can do.

Sorry I had to leace before but I have the boxes per the FDNY ops manual

Aviation = 8613 firehouse

2610 Gildersleve Ave btw Soundview and Underhill Aves

Edgewater = 4184 MAIN ST & ADEE DR F/O EVFD

Gerritsen Beach = 3668 SEBA AVE & CANTON CT

West Hamilton = 2042 163 AVE & 104 ST & 8369 USCG BERTH FT TOTTEN ARMY PIER Queens

Broad Channel = 1615 CROSS BAY BLVD & 8 RD BROAD CHANNEL

Roxbury = 1465 BEACH 201 ST & ROCKAWAY PT BLVD & 8025 ROXBURY FIRE DEPT VOLS 42 FORT TILDEN

Rockaway = 1465 BEACH 201 ST & ROCKAWAY PT BLVD & 8300 ROCKAWAY PT BLVD & BCH 201 ST BREEZY PT

Point Breeze = 1465 BEACH 201 ST & ROCKAWAY PT BLVD

Oceanic = 3159 SHELLEY AVE & VICTORY BLVD/OVFD

Richmond = 2862 RICHMOND RD & ST PATRICKS PL/RVFD

I took these from the ops manual and verified the sddresses on Frank Raffa's web site at www.fdnewoyrk.com. He has a new box finder page where it can map the location. He's still woorking on it but the box locater is very accurate.

Box numbers:

Aviation Hose Co. 3 in Clason's Point - 2610, 8613

Edgwater VFD in Edgewater Park - 4184

Richmond Engine Company No. 1 in Richmond - 2862

Oceanic Hook & Ladder Co. 1 in Travis - 3159

Gerritsen Beach Fire Volunteers, Inc. in Gerritsen Beach -3668

West Hamilton Beach VFD in Hamilton Beach - 2042, 8369

Broad Channel VFD in Broad Channel - 1615

Roxbury VFD ibn Rockaway - 1462, 8025

Also, to add to my earlier post, Rockaway Pt. operates on 154.6000 MHz, 154.5700 MHz, and 47.5000 MHz.

Point Breeze VFD in Point Breeze - 1465

Rockaway Point VFD in Rockaway - 1465, 8300

Is anyone sure that Aviation is still active? I haven't seen them on the road at all for years. Also, the engine that is next to the 43 Pct. is E96.

Aviation was shut down a few years ago. I think 02 or 03. The firehouse was vacated by FDNY and DOB and shut down. It is no longer there. It was falling apart if I remember correctly. As for the relationship between certain vollie companies and FDNY, it depends on who you ask. I have a few friends in Broad Channel and they have a pretty good relationship with the Rockaway companies and the 47 Battalion. From what I have heard, it's a little iffy when it comes to West Hamilton and the Howard Beach companies. One of the girls that works for me is a member in Gerritsen Beach and they have no problems with the Brooklyn Companies. Not sure about Richmond and Oceanic, but we turn them out and they were there before the FDNY.

Most of the volunteer companies operate on borough frequencies if they need to get a hold of us.

Edited by JBE

Hey. Avation Hose is still alive. I can't say if they are doing well or not. but they got into a problem a while back, where they are now out of their station. And when I say out I mean their apparatus is sitting in a fenced in lot next to the old quarters. The fire house is a construction trailer. I think the last I went by there, they were planning on putting up a buttler building or something. They got a lot of apparatus donated to them a while back, they were looking to spec out their own engine when I was speaking to them last year. The apparatus they got donated to them(one a brand new Ferrara) is not "meeting their needs". They have an engine down there that was the first due on the Pentagon on 9/11.

The company also has a 15 passanger club van and an ambulance. I don't know what they use it for, but it's questionable if they are doing EMS. I know the engine will roll out on EMS assists similar to FDNY Engine companies.

The crews for Avation are staffed in quarters and the members ride in shifts. I don't know if all shifts are staffed, but I know the guy I spoke to was from Brooklyn, and he was telling me that only a few members were actually from the area.

I will post the directions to this place. If you have the chance swing by. If nothing else ,the place will be entertaining.

I was a member at WHBFD a few years ago and the City unit's get along very well with whbfd e-331 / l-173 would always stop by the firehouse. At calls they never held the vollies back it always worked well.

I must ask why are you puting box 8369 for the west ham beach fd that is well over 10 miles away from the volly house. That maybe the box for the FDNY*EMS bldg but not WHBFD>

West Hamilton = 2042 163 AVE & 104 ST & 8369 USCG BERTH FT TOTTEN ARMY PIER Queens

I must ask why are you puting box 8369 for the west ham beach fd that is well over 10 miles away from the volly house. That maybe the box for the FDNY*EMS bldg but not WHBFD>

As stated in my earlier post, that is what is listed in the FDNY field ops manual from January of 2002 (p. 29). I don't know why, but I'm assumming that it was one of their runs. Maybe it was a misprint, buy those were teh 2boxes for WHBVFD. If anyone has the newer 2005 ops guide, look it up and check.

It's 2042. I came in the job with a few guys from West Hamilton. They got a nice new firehouse. I remember the old one from back in the 80's. Looked like it was about to fall over. Broad Channels' is pretty much in the same condition. They are looking to build a new house on Cross Bay Boulevard about a half mile north of the present quarters on Noel Road.

I was under the impression Aviation was pretty much done. Reason I say that is I was out in the area a few weeks back and there was no building, or apparatus to be found.

It's 2042. I came in the job with a few guys from West Hamilton. They got a nice new firehouse. I remember the old one from back in the 80's. Looked like it was about to fall over. Broad Channels' is pretty much in the same condition. They are looking to build a new house on Cross Bay Boulevard about a half mile north of the present quarters on Noel Road.

I was under the impression Aviation was pretty much done. Reason I say that is I was out in the area a few weeks back and there was no building, or apparatus to be found.

Okj Cool JBE thanks for the update. Must have been a misprint in the manual.

2042 is correct. I just went by there last night to check on the status being it's been a topic on here. Not only is the building gone, the yard they had the apparatus and the equipment has been built on.

Does anyone know of their new location? I know they had another spot to store things cause they had a few engines that were not parked in the yard the last time I had gone by.

2042 is correct. I just went by there last night to check on the status being it's been a topic on here. Not only is the building gone, the yard they had the apparatus and the equipment has been built on. 

Does anyone know of their new location? I know they had another spot to store things cause they had a few engines that were not parked in the yard the last time I had gone by.

West Hamilton Beach Fire Department

10233 Davenport Ct

Jamaica, NY 11414-3936

(718) 843-1716

West Hamilton Beach Fire Department

10233 Davenport Ct

Jamaica, NY 11414-3936

(718) 843-1716

Is anyone sure that Aviation is still active? I haven't seen them on the road at all for years. Also, the engine that is next to the 43 Pct. is E96.

Avation is active but they have no permit home right now .As far as getting along I heard they have some problems .