Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

2nd Rescue Company For Yonkers FD ????

28 posts in this topic

Maybe Truck4 can answer this one or someone else in the know. The big rumor mill floating around Yonkers, is that there is a possibility that the City of Yonkers will budget for a 2nd Rescue Company to help cover the city. I have heard this rumor from a number of sources and was interested in knowing what the people from within the YFD have to say about it. It seems to make sense since it is the opinion of the majority within YFD that the Current Rescue One makes way too many runs per year and the 2000 ALF Eagle Heavy Duty Rescue Unit is taking a beating. Having YFD Rescue One housed at Fire Headquarters on School Street to cover the West Side of Yonkers, and then adding a New Rescue Unit (YFD Rescue 2?) maybe at Station 11 on Bronxville Road to cover the East Side of Yonkers makes alot of sense. This way, if a single alarm is called out for 3 engine companies, 2 ladders, battalion 2 and the rescue, for a East Side Run, the Rescue doesn't have to travel from School Street, to lets say North Central Avenue, around where, lets say the Old Caldor's used to be. That's a lot of mileage for R1 to have to take on. If a New R2 Unit were to be dispatched from Station 11, it would make more sense. WHAT DOES EVERYONE ELSE THINK?

I personally think that Yonkers doesn't really need another rescue truck. Sure, they make a lot of runs, but IMO it would probably be too costly. If they were going to get a R2 that means they would probably purchase a whole new rig? And even if they didn't, and bought a used rig, it wouldn't be fair for lets say 311, or 303 because they still have Macks that probably have scene more action then any rig in the county, and that means those macks probably have been beaten to death. And plus, a rescue truck needs to have the proper equipment on the truck right? Buying all new equipment, or even old equipment, and putting it on the truck would probably be costly. It is true that having a rescue truck responding to the other side of the city is a little risky, but as long as the trained men are operating it, everything should be fine. I think the current rescue is doing a fine job, and no other assistance is needed.

i think another rescue would be good, obviously it would cut down responce time to some areas, also it would cut back on the wear and tear on the rig. but i think that the money could be better spent on a different rig, mabe something like a squad company, let the members have the same training as those of rescue one, but let their rig have a pump and be able to function as a rescue or engine. with the number of fires above 3rd alarms yonkers has faced i think these gives them the best of both worlds and if in fact the assigment were a 10-29 they could then also assign rescue one on the 2nd alarm or mabe even with the confirmation of the working fire. bottom line is the 2nd rescue company in my opinion is a great idea, i just think a squad style engine as a rig may be more use full then the ALF rescue truck that is YFD rescue 1.. just a opinion, but either was with a 2nd rescue company i think it will help alot.

Also think of it in a M/A role, i know we in hartsdale have called yonkers m/a for engines and trucks on many occasions, over this past summer we even required rescue 1 for a hazmatt incident. this leaves the whole of yonkers with out a rescue. also think of the responce time of rescue one from school street in yonkers to hartsdale village and the millage that it put on that rig, and yet it was the most specialized and closest assistance we could get.. a 2nd rescue would even benifit the neighboring towns and villages as well.

This rumor has been floating around for quite a while now, and it wouldn't tottally suprise me if it did happen in some form.

Although it's obvious that a second rescue company would certainly cut down on wear and tear on the apparatus itself, not to mention provide better fire-rescue coverage, other factors need to be considered.

Lets not forget, Yonkers has a well-trained and well-equipped Police ESU, which is capable of many types of rescue, including but not limited to automobile, which is the primary type of call a rescue responds to. ESU has a truck assigned to each precinct, which provides excellent coverage citywide. To have another rescue company with the automobile cause would just be duplication of services. It used to be, pre-Rescue's revival, that ESU did most of the rescue work in the city. Between Rescue 1 and ESU, there's enough Rescue coverage in the city at this time, IMO.

For other types of fire work, there's really no need IMO, Rescue 1 does just fine. Maybe purchasing a new rig and alternating to lower the wear and tear off the rig would be a more sensible idea, in additition to what I'm going to say below. As for "Rescue 2" as a manpower company, you're probaly better off just adding an engine or truck company (lets not forget Ridgehill is in sight). Also, lets take into consideration what would happen if Yonkers finances went downhill.

To pay for a new rescue, with all the new manpower that would need to be hired and trained and equipped, could be better spent elsewhere. I think a better idea to provide rescue coverage or rescue first response to the east side, or rescue backup coverage would be to make a squad company,with a rescue engine, similar to FDNY, for Engine 314, which probaly covers the most remote part of the city in relation to Rescue 1. Or maybe a two-man hazmat/WMD company would be a better supplement to services already supplied.

To sum it up:IMO, better solution....Squad Company 314

O.K., here's my take on this - being directly involved. I do not believe we are going with a 2nd Rescue Co. The main possibility is Squad-1(the second piece) of E-311. This is part of the "Westchester Squad concept". It is in the initial stages still, but I have seen the plan going back for a few years already. I am assigned to R-1, we respond from Sta-1, and do make good time and provide good coverage to the city as a whole. The wear and tear on the rig really means nothing. The rig is holding up well, but I am sure we will wear it out - just like any other of our rigs. We are on a 10-year replacement program and the fleet is looking good. Until we re-established R-1, it is kinda unheard of a city of our size to not have a rescue. It is also kinda unheard of a city our size to have two.

On another note - I have worked aside YPD-ESU, and would any day. Since working together I believe we are giving the citizens top-notch protection.

Hope this answers some ??'s from the inside.

I like your idea about have a Squad 1 in place to help cover the East Side. How would, in your opinion, would that work? Would YFD purchase a New Squad Unit, have it manned by the members of Engine Company 311, and have it housed (along with Engine 311 and the Collaspe Unit) at Station 11. So, for any assignments on the East Side that might require the Rescue Unit, it could be manned by the Members of Engine 311 (Kind of like the way the Foam Unit is handled out of Station 13 and the Collaspe Unit is out of Station 11)? Then, if needed or on a 2nd Alarm Assignment, R1 could be dispatched from Station 1? I think Station 11 makes the most sense for a "New Squad 1" to be housed, since Station 11 is centrally located on the East Side, rather than lets say Station 14, which is way up on the North End of the East Side. I would be interested in your thoughts.

Last time I checked DFFD, fair isn't a word that is used in conjunction with an increase of service for public safety. What the truck you ride in looks like has nothing to do with it capabilities, especially when it comes to the talent riding in it every shift. I didn't realize in your many years of fire service experience that you were so well versed in the operations and needs of the Yonkers Fire Department, nor a taxpayer worrying about cost. When it comes to service, all to often we hear cost, yada yada yada. There are times when things aren't feasible. The problem is when things are needed and the money is asked for some want to call it an expenditure, when it is actually an investment in public and responder safety.

Let Yonkers administration worry about Yonkers FD and what they think their needs are for. Someone asked about a rumor they heard and someone with not even a week of real firefighting experience is talking about cost. no way. Sorry kid.

R1Smokeeater, thanks for the insight on what your doing. Perhaps someone can take that within their own dept. and make a change.

It's not My idea - this is what is going to happen (according to Spec Ops Chiefs WSConcept plan). The Squad is going to E-311, as a second piece. It will be mainly Haz-Mat/WMD to support R1. The plan calls for all the WC squads to get a new rig (like a med duty Rescue)- right now we are on step #2 with the issue of the HM trailers.The response will not change for 311, and R1 will keep our runs citywide. 311 will operate as an Engine Co. at a job, and we will still perform our VES functions. It is not a big deal to run the city, although yonkers is big, it never takes us more than 12-15 mins to get anywhere from sta-1. We also run the support co's (besides 11)- 307 & 310.

This whole plan for WC depends on the funding !! It remains to be seen how dedicated the polititians are to it. As usual it depends on $$$$$$$$$$$.

R1, great point on the WC program. For many of us it is already marred with typical Westchester Co. emergency service infighting within depts. whom had personnel being trainined to be part of the concept, but when another side of the house couldn't be part of it, it got squashed. Another fine example of the wonderful Westchester County system.

Lets not forget the new complex that is plan on being bulit. They might add a 1-1 which means that they would have to bulid another house and I think that the new house should house a squad instead of a standard engine. This would be a good idea becuase they could also cover the thruway by Stew. By using a squad they don't lose a engine and it means that if their was a house fire in the new complex then they have a 1 and 1 response to the new complex which is big.

How will the city afford this ?

Last year they proposed aladder company for Ridge Hill and later decided against it for financial reasons.

Also, correct me if wrong, but aren't there two, not four YPD E-Rigs on every shift? But sooner or later the city poplulation will exceed 200,000 as it did during the 1960's and then maybe you'll see another fire company added on as a necessity. Look at how the population will grow on the west side alone--they'll be announcing any day now a 1600 luxury housing development for Alexander Street on the waterfront stretching the entire block on the waterfront side, plus on Warburton Ave just below Hastings, two separate condominiums were just approved.

And does anybody know if they still have the mutual aid agreement with Greenburgh for YFD Station 14 responding to the Jackson Ave nursing home as well as the Fountainhead Condos on Central Ave? This goes back to the early 1980's.

Dr. Zuki

(The Scanner Apprentice)

ESU runs 3 E-rigs and 2 supervisors from 7am-11pm with an additional 4-6 ESU P.O.'s in cars and however many K-9 units working a particular shift. From 11pm-7am, there's 2 E-rigs, with an additional 2-4 ESU P.O.s in cars and however many K-9's are working that night. At times, the overnight shift will add E-rigs as the personell are available and run 3 trucks. Also, in the summer, the Marine Unit (with 2 ESU officers) will run R/C 852 and respond to ESU jobs as needed.

Hey ALS, I gave an opinion, not a statement. I don't have to be a professional to give any opinions at all. I stated that I THINK that Yonkers doesn't need another rescue, because there are other things they can spend money on...and cost can definitely be an issue...I'm not a taxpayer, But most likely the taxpayers would agree. Also YonkersR3 heard a rumor like you said...but if you read carefully at the end of YonkersR3's post it says in caps "WHAT DOES EVERYONE ELSE THINK?"... Thats where opinions come in.

The point is, I can care less of what you think of any of my opinions, and your bullying and attacks on everything I say doesn't bother me a bit. So with my "not even a week of training" as a real firefighter, I am still entitled to my opinions, and there is nothing you can do to stop them.

Bravo to you kid, for one standing up to what you said. I'm actually more impressed with that last post than any you've ever done. However, 1 I'm not a bully, I'm a professional with 12 years of experience, and more then that in adult life experience. That's great you have an opinion, and yes you are entitled to it. But, key word here is but, your opinion is first off key, inappropriate and to be honest, and I understand the nature as to why, shows your immaturity in the fire service. Everyone else gave specific points to the response and such, you talk about not being fair about other apparatus being replaced and you think its too costly. Those in itself are inappropriate and unethical statements to make about another departments staffing or needs. I could only imagine what you would have said if I said its "too costly for a department to buy gear, pager or even have junior firefighters/explorers." As far as you feeling I'm a bully, sorry, but if you want to make grown up statements about my profession, then your gonna get grown up answers from me, just like everyone else I interact on these forums with. And one more lessen, taxpayers think anything is too much of an expense, until they are back on the camera criticizing for your shortfalls for not having something. Again, life safety is never a expenditure it is an investment.

ALS,

Just because you don't like my opinion does not make it inappropriate. I find it inappropriate that everything I say, you have something to say about. I really don't like how you pick apart my opinions and, seems like every word I say, use it to attack me. It's unfounded and unneccary sometimes

I'm going to continue giving my opinion based on my feelings and what I've learned so far.  I don't feel immature is the word for me, maybe inexperienced would be a better term. 

No matter what you say, I still stand by what I said...Now to the Term "It's too costly"... I'm originally from Yonkers, and have family there. YFD is very well staffed and equipped, and the money could be better spent on stuff like the school system, and necessary FD purchases.  Regarding the apparatus replacement thing, is it going to be fair when a crew gets on a 12 year old truck that's been beaten to death, and then it doesn't start because they had to put off replacement to buy a new Rescue?? Is this going to be FAIR for the citizens?? Now I'm not saying what Yonkers should do at all...I'm just stating what I (I as in ME) think would work, and what wouldn't work.

So ALS, whether you like it or not I'm going to be here, and I'm not going to back down to you. I listen to your opinion, just as you do mine, but if you really don't like mine that much, don't read it. It's as simple as that. I respect that you have 12 years of experience, I could make you feel real old by telling you where I was 12 years ago. Thing is, I'm going to be the next generation of firefighters and your going to have to respect that.

Bring on your "grown up" answers!

ok , alot is said here and its great to be able to say things about what goes on here in westchester.if the yonkers fd feels that it needs another rescue co,truck co,eng co then good for them.applaud the yfd for trying to upgrade the dept. to better protect the citizens of yonkersas well as their own ff"S. if all communitys were at the point where they can do what yonkers is doing or trying to do then we all would be in better shape! yonkers is just about the one and only dept. in the area that is going in the right direction.many depts. in the usa are limited with manpower and equiptment and plays a large roll in firefighter injurys/deaths. a few career depts have guys using duct tape on their boots,rigs with doors hanging off, and 2 men engine companys.so i salute the yonkers fd and wish that i worked there! as you get older in life and you have a few years as a firefighter under your belt you will understand how older or senior firefighters feel about the job. i am not knocking any junior or young firefighter because it wasn't to long ago I was a young guy also.may thoughts and ideas have changed over the yrs but thats because it comes with age>maturity as well as experience.this goes with life in general.and when i was a junior guy i spent more time out having a good time chasing you know what and not worrying about tax dollars! be safe!

ok , alot is said here and its great to be able to say things about what goes on here in westchester.if the yonkers fd feels that it needs another rescue co,truck co,eng co then good for them.applaud the yfd for trying to upgrade the dept. to better protect the citizens of yonkersas well as their own ff"S. if all communitys were at the point where they can do what yonkers is doing or trying to do then we all would be in better shape! yonkers is just about the one and only dept. in the area that is going in the right direction.many depts. in the usa are limited with manpower and equiptment and plays a large roll in firefighter injurys/deaths. a few career depts have guys using duct tape on their boots,rigs with doors hanging off, and 2 men engine companys.so i salute the yonkers fd and wish that i worked there! as you get older in life and you have a few years as a firefighter under your belt you will understand how older or senior firefighters feel about the job. i am not knocking any junior or young firefighter because it wasn't to long ago I was a young guy also.may thoughts and ideas have changed over the yrs but thats because it comes with age>maturity as well as experience.this goes with life in general.

Let me see if I can add to this a little.

DFFD, as this is an discussion forum, you've got every right to state and post your opinion.

However, let me try to provide some insight into what ALS and hudson144 are saying without screwing up what he's trying to get across.

As a "FNG", or rookie in a firehouse or fire service, you are taught to keep your mouth shut, spoke only when spoken too, and listen to what others had to say without responding. I, as a young un', had a great deal of trouble with this, and sometimes it caused problems. I didn't understand what it was all about, and I thought the traditional rule was BS. However, as I grew older, gained experience with the time that passed, I came to understand the rule. Although what you're saying right now may be dead on in your mind, it may look different to others who have been around the block some more times. If you speak the way you speak when you become a rookie in your firehouse, regardless of the time spent as a junior, you're going to be in for a heck of a time. I'm one of those people who would give it to you too, lol. I mean, how would you feel if a third grader who was a fire buff came up and started telling you how to be a junior ff? A little annoyed, right?

There is a definite pecking order in this business. If ALS and I worked a bus together, although I have some experience, ALS is far superior to me on an educational and experience level, so obviously being a newer and younger guy, and liking my foot not in my you know where, I'm going to respect that and take that into consideration when working and interacting with him, even if I don't agree with him (unless it endangers us or athe patient, which I highly doubt but needs to be mentioned to supplement my point) Even though I have started hundreds of IV's, he's started thousands. I don't know how to put it further.

I encourage you to speak you're mind, however keep in mind the "rule" I explained above, and no matter what, you're going to take heat for whatever you say regardless because of it. I know you, you're not going to sit back and be quiet, because that's not your style. You do have some good stuff to contribute every now and then, Just make sure you're fully armed when going into battle, lol!

i think this is a little out of hand... were all doing the same thing whether we are FF's, juniors or Officers... we all offer opinions.. lets not tear into each other, say what you think about Yonkers and a new rescue or a squad company. Why are we tearing apart whatever our brothers opinions are? Say how you feel... don't knock other brothers opinions...and remember these are all opinions and suggestions so we can all have our say and maybe learn from each others experiences in the fire service... i think everyone needs to cut the crap and stop taking offense to everything and getting into arguments... its B.S, let everybody be heard.

Hey, why add a new Rescue company when you can just call in Westchester County Technical Rescue Team, TF-1?!?!

:twisted:

HFD, I think everybody is being heard. If you want to say something, then you gotta listen to the responses whether you like the response or not.

You know what I'm gonna continue with this a bit.

First off, as far as Yonkers and staffing, yes they are ahead of the game compared to many. As far as taking any money they could possibly be afforded and give it to the school system...what a joke. Here's another adult life experience for you. No matter how much money Yonkers budget dumps into the school they always have their hand out for more from the state and cry the blues when the state says no way. Yonkers should have a separate school tax like most of us have and take what additional funding the state allocates and thats it. Take the money the state shouldn't give Yonkers schools and divy it up and either buy every FD a thermal imaging camera or an AED.

HFD I take no offense at what he is saying. As I said, he's entitled to his opinion, but some comments are inappropriate. Yes we "all" do the same thing...somewhat, and I've stated my insight into that again. I could only imagine what would be posted if I blasted Dobbs Ferry FD for the next apparatus they purchased and tried to say it wasn't necessary and money and yada, and give it to the schools, the homeless, the liberals. But I wouldn't because I know its inappropriate to state an opinon like that, or about any department other then on a discussion level of safety and such.

Hey ALS!

Ease up on DFFD just a little. He is a good kid!

Very much into the Fire Department at a young age as we once were. At least he does not have blue lights on his bicycle as I did. haha

We value ALL opinions and comments here as long as they are not directed at a personal level "bashing".

DFFD you will make a great Firefighter!

:D

Finally glad to see the whole bickering thing coming to an end! I don't have much to say about Yonkers FD as far as a 2nd rescue co, because i do not know much about the YFD, nor do i live close to Yonkers.

DFFD227, you are totally intitled to your opinion, as is everyone else. Just remember that everyone else may have a different one! I do give you credit for standing by your opinion though! Seth made some great points and gave some great advice, so take some of it in! I have about 6 years in the fire department, which isn't all that long, but i have seen/heard/learned enough in that time. I too was very strong-minded and opened my mouth alot and sometimes got into trouble because of it. I recently became a Lieutenant in my dept. and the best advise that i was given by fellow and ex officers was to "shut your mouth, open your ears and learn form other officers, including thier mistakes!" You gave your personal opinion, which is great, everyone is encouraged to do so, wheather you be volunteer, career (i dislike the term "professional lol), junior or whatever. But i can totally see where ALS is coming from, and i'm sure you do to a bit! He makes an excellent point, there should be no price tag on life safety, wheather it be a firefighters or the public. His whole "expenditure/investment" statement was right on key. Of course taxpayers are going to see things as costly, nobody wants thier taxes to go up! Taxpayers, especially those who know little about the fire service, will always fight large purchases by FDs and PDs, thats just the way it goes. As far as Yonkers goes...if they (the FD) feels that a second Rescue Co. is truly neccesary to cut down on response times, hence making the YO' safer, then so be it. From what i know about the YFD, they seem to be a very well organized, well trained and professional department, so i'm sure they know what they do and don't need. Again, it all comes down to life-safety, bottom line! Cost should never be an issue in these cases, but it always gets factored in, and unfortunatley, we will always have to put up with it!

BFD, you made some really excellent points. Thanks for the additional insight into my statements also. My main point is a general statement, Yonkers needs to worry about Yonkers, there is no one on this forum that should make specific comments about YFD to the level that a few have. That is extremely disrespectful and in the business will get you a "who the f*c* is this person" label and as you get older you will realize that it can effect you much later.

RWC, I never said he wasn't a good kid, and yes he will probably make a great firefighter someday. But...being we do know each other you know that I take my profession to the utmost seriousness, and as I said, if he wants to make adult conversation, he will get adult answers from me. If he knew me personally, he would know where I come from, and respect that I am that way with all that I know and all that comes with the fire service. If I saw him tomorrow, I'd shake his hand, rub his head and welcome him to the tough love of the fire service.

ALS,

First off, I do realize where you come from, I have done my research about you. I think it's safe to say that no one was offended by my Rescue 2 post. I just thought it wasn't the best idea. But that is me talking, and people who buy, and spec out the rigs at YFD makes those final decisions, and they know whats best. I just thought it wasn't a good idea because there are other things that can mostly likely be spent in the YFD. Thats why this board is made...and I'm happy for it. I was not bashing YFD at all, In fact It's my favorite department in Westchester County, If I was disrespectful them I'm sorry, Im using this board to the best of my advantage.

and how long would we have to wait for the "westchester tech rescue team to show up"?

How long would we wait for Westchester County Technical Rescue TF-1 to show up, you ask? Geez, not much more than 2 1/2 years!! ](*,)