Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

LODD- Jersey City Police E.S.U. Officers 12-25-05

22 posts in this topic

Emergency Service Police Officer Shawn Carson, 40 with 16 years on the job.

Emergency Service Police Officer Robert Nguygen, 30 with 6 years on the job.

The officers on Sunday night had crossed over the Lincoln Highway Bridge, which links Jersey City and Newark, and had placed flares nearby to caution motorists that its warning system was not working, said police Chief Robert Troy.

Before the officers' return trip, the bridge's operator raised a middle span to allow a tug boat on the Hackensack River to go under. But the drawbridge's safety bar and a bell used to warn motorists it was open had not been working for two days prior to the accident at about 8:20 p.m., Troy said.

"As dark as it was, as foggy as it was, as rainy as it was, they had no idea," Troy said.

Troy said he believed the impact of the truck hitting the water killed Carson, a 16-year veteran of the force.

Divers and other rescue and recovery teams continued to search the 40-degree river Monday for the body of the other officer, Robert Nguygen.

Very sad, tragic accident, my condolences to the families and Jersey City community.

So sad indeed, my thoughts and prayers go to the families of these officers as well as the Jersey City PD.

My thought and prayers go out to the families and friends of the Jersey City Police Dept

My condolences to the families and Jersey City PD.

I hope they they get a crew out there to fix the problem with the warning system to avoid another tragedy.

My prayers are with the families and fellow officers of our departed brothers.

very tragic. thoughts and prayers to the officers families and the jersey city pd

What a horrible thing to hear, especially on Christmas.

My condolences to their loved ones.:)

What a trajic accident to happen on christmas. I am truely sorry to hear such terrible news and I send my utmost sympathy to the family and friends of both police men.

What a trajic accident to happen on christmas.  I am truely sorry to hear such terrible news and I send my utmost sympathy to the family and friends of both police men.

My thought and prayers go out to the families and friends of the Jersey City Police Dept

:)

To all the NJ ESU members on this board. I am truly sorry about what happen to your fellow brothers. You guys and there familys have my deepest condolences. I am very sorry for your lost. May god watch over them.

Edited by ems-buff

To all the members of Jercity City ESU and all the officers in the department, my prayers go out to all of you. These 2 fine officers made the ultimate sacrifice laying there lives on the line day in and day out to protect and serve the citizens of Jersey City.

Words can not express the heartfelt sorrow for the officers of this small elite unit.

God bless our fallen brothers and know that all the officers of the Yonkers Police Emergency Service Unit send thier thoughts and prayers.

STAY STRONG AND STAND PROUD...

I really hate this line of work sometimes. Two guys go into work, a probaly ordinary Christmas night, never to return to their lives on earth. Cops, firefighters...it doesn't matter....we're all in this job to play the same game. Stuff like this is incomprehensible. Something as simple as blocking off a road can lead to this.

It has saddened me a great deal....I have met several JC*ESU officers through this board who are members here and visit the site often, their enthusiastic spirit about their job has always amazed me, especially given the rough city they work in.

I always ask myself why something like this happens, why? But when something like this occurs, I have learned from past experiences it always reaffirms my belief in fate and karma. There's no other explanation. There's a reason why everything happens, and I guess two more ESU officers were needed somewhere else but here.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the fallen Emergency Service officers, their families and friends, and their fellow officers during this shocking tragedy.

Rest in peace guys.

Edited by x635

Thoughts and prayers with the families and the rest of the Jersey City PD. This is very tragic news to hear...especially on Christmas. From all of us here at WCPD...God Bless.

No words I can say will lift the pain of what ALL Jersey City Police Officers, fellow Police Officers, Family, and Friends are feeling right now.

VERY VERY sad day in Law Enforcement. May they rest in peace.

The loss is deeply felt by all emergency service personnel.

Police, Fire, EMS

My condolences ~Rob~

Edited by RWC130

Tribute by The New York Times:

December 27, 2005

Products of a City Who Gave Back to It Each Day

By JENNIFER MEDINA

The New York Times

They knew the streets as well as anyone. They traveled them day and night, for work and for pleasure. When Police Officers Robert Nguyen, 30, and Shawn Carson, 40, plunged off a bridge over the Hackensack River in a truck on Sunday night, they were each within four miles of home.

Both were sons of Jersey City, graduating from high school there and moving on to the city's Police Academy. Officer Carson was a 16-year veteran of the Jersey City force and spent years coaching track at St. Peter's Preparatory School in the city, becoming known for his easygoing attitude. Officer Nguyen had worked as a Jersey City officer for six years, impressing many with his vigor and positive outlook.

Although the officers were not regular partners, it became apparent yesterday that their strengths had made them well suited for each other. The men, both single, had volunteered to work the Christmas holiday, a final display of their work ethic.

"This is a loss not only for the Police Department, but for Jersey City," Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy said. "They were both excellent officers and excellent people who were extremely generous men."

Mayor Healy knew the officers from when his sons were high school students. Officer Carson coached one of those sons when the boy was a at St. Peter's, and when that son transferred to Hudson Catholic Regional in Jersey City, Officer Nguyen was a senior there.

"They're the kind of guys anyone would want to be around," Mayor Healy said.

Officer Nguyen, the son of Vietnamese immigrants, displayed ambition and boundless energy, said Sgt. Walter Kierce, who supervised him when Officer Nguyen worked in the special investigations unit several years ago, often undercover.

"He loved being a cop," Sergeant Kierce said. "He wanted the high-profile, high-action jobs. He just loved wearing the blue."

In his undercover work, Officer Nguyen excelled at establishing trust with suspected criminals, his colleagues said.

When Officer Nguyen said he wanted to transfer to the elite Emergency Service Unit, which dispatches first-response teams, Sergeant Kierce and others tried to persuade him to stay in special investigations.

"We saw great potential in him and were definitely sorry to see him go," he said. "He was so caring and had an incredible work ethic. He was the first one to volunteer on anything."

Though Officer Nguyen had developed a solid reputation over the last couple of years, as one of the younger officers in the department he was still viewed in some ways as an enthusiastic kid.

Officer Carson, on the other hand, was the type of veteran any rookie wanted to work with. Like Officer Nguyen, he was known for his easy smile and willingness to help others.

"He was an old-school cop - everyone knew him," said Erik-Anders Nilsson, 42, a friend and former neighbor of Officer Carson's. When the officer walked down the street, Mr. Nilsson said, people routinely waved hello. "He always had on a smile."

Apart from spending countless hours coaching students, Officer Carson spent a lot of time working out himself, staying in top shape throughout his career, friends and colleagues said.

Playing football, basketball and baseball with other officers, city officials and reporters, he earned the nickname Wheels, a tribute to his speed.

"If anyone tried to run against him, they could just forget it," said Stan Eason, a spokesman for the Police Department who first met Officer Carson while working as a reporter at The Jersey Journal, the hometown newspaper. "He wasn't one to hesitate on anything."

Family members of both officers remained in seclusion yesterday, and police officials said the relatives were still mourning their loss and trying to comprehend the accident. A man who identified himself as the brother of Officer Nguyen declined to comment late yesterday afternoon, saying he did not want to speak publicly until his brother's body was found.

"I don't want to write his eulogy now," the man said from the doorway of his apartment on Tonnele Avenue in Jersey City, where a large-screen television was showing a news report on the accident. "Hopefully there will be some kind of miracle."

Janon Fisher and Nate Schweber contributed reporting for this article.

I wish to extend my condolences to the Jersey City Police and the families of these officers.

I can only hope that the family and friends of Officer Nguyen and Officer Carson can find comfort in the memory of these fine men's exemplary service and courage.

Prayers for the fallen officers.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Officer Nguyen and Officer Carson, their family, and their friends.

Rest in peace.