Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

The Sutphen Corporation...

46 posts in this topic

While i am an apparatus buff, it seems i dont know much about Sutphen manufactured apparatus. These trucks have distinct looks to them, and from what i see, are mainly used in ladder/tower ladder configurations. I was wondering if anyone had general info about the trucks or company, and how many of these rigs are in service around the area.

Thanks-

BedfordFire

TL-14 in Mt. Kisco is a Sutphen 90+ foot tower

TL-27 in Chappaqua is a Sutphen 75ft tower quint

TL-38 in Sleepy Hollow is a Sutphen 90+ foot tower

TL-2 in Port Chester is a Sutphen 90+ foot tower (don't quote me on the but I'm nearly positive)

TL-1 in Thornwood is a Sutphen 90+ foot tower

L-18 in Somers is a Sutphen 90+ foot tower

TL-24 in Harrison is a Sutphen 90+ foot tower

E-248 in Millwood is a Spartan Chassis with assembly completed by Sutphen (the Sutphen proprietary cab wouldn't fit in Station 1 due to height restrictions)

Yonkers E-314 is a Sutphen (don't quote me on it, I know it used to be) as well as their Foam unit and at least 1 reserve engine

As I think of more I'll add them.

Edited by mfc2257

most of the ones in westchester are tower ladders, a few engines.

Sutphen engines in westchester:

Yonkers, scarsdale, and i belive new rochelle may have a spare one

TL's

Kisco, Chappaqua, Sleepy Hollow, Scarsdale, Larchmont, Harrison, Port Chester, Thornwood,

Sticks:

Villiage of Mamaroneck has a tiller

Rye has an engine for Eng. 192 and New Rochelle has one for Eng. 24

Edited by pcfdrfd700

I heard that Yonkers was not really thrilled with the 3 Sutphens they purchased in the 90's (Current Engine 314, Reserve 305, and the FOAM UNIT). That is mainly why Yonkers is now a ALF and Smeal City for its Fire Rigs. (they both meet the specs that the City Of Yonkers requires and both the ALF's and the Smeals hold up really well, in the rough Yonkers hills and terrain.)

http://www.yfd.org/app314eng.htm

http://www.yfd.org/images/appResEng305.jpg

New Rochelle E24 is still running a Sutphen. Its due for replacement soon though.

glenbrook fd(stamford):

1983 engine

1992 engine

noroton fd(darien):

1994 ladder

stamford f&r:

1- tower

2-ladders

Patterson, NY

1988/89 Sutphen 100 foot TL

2002 Sutphen Tanker Pumper.

Regarding Chappaqua's rig, is that the only Sutphen mini-tower in service around the area? Is that the only mini-tower in the county?

Rye Engine 192, 1987 Sutphen Pumper...

This rig has been a real work-horse, and will soon be replaced with a new Seagrave pumper (by Fall of 2006), and then will most likely move into the Engine 193 spot, replacing the 1981 Hahn "Yellowbird".

Sutphen has a location in White Lake, NY (On Rte. 17B near the Sullivan County Airport) I believe this facility deals with pumpers only, and the trucks are built elsewhere.

Edited by 242steve

Regarding Chappaqua's rig, is that the only Sutphen mini-tower in service around the area? Is that the only mini-tower in the county?

Stony Point's 18-Tower - 1999 Sutphen 70 ft. Tower 1500/300

The Sutphen East plant in White Lake is just outside of Monticello, They mainly build apparatus on commercial chassis, but they handle most repairs for the East Coast. In 1996 my FD (Walden, OC) our 1980 Sutphen engine was totally refurbed at the Sutphen East Plant, that encluded enclosing the cab, a totally new body, and a few other little details. Most of Sutphen's production is done out of thier Ohio plants.

As for Sutphens in OC

Trucks

Silver Lake T-160

1990 100' Tower 1500/350

Coldenham T-205

1989 100' Tower

Fort Montgomery T-425

1983 65' Aerial 1250/750

Monroe T-538

1995 100' Tower 1500/400

Goshen T-937

1993 100' Tower 1500/250

Engines

Pocatello E-151

1991 1500/750

Coldenham E-201

1991 *on Pem Fab chassis

Cornwall E-404

Harriman E-511

1992 1250/1000 *on Ford chassis

Harriman E-513

1995 1750/1000

Monroe E-543

2002 2000/1000

New Hampton E-726

1976 *on Ford chassis

Campbell Hall E-903

Chester E-920

Tanker

Pocatello TA-152

1988 1250/2500

Rescue

Silver Lake R-162

1996 *Salisbury body

*most of that information comes from www.ocnyfire.com

Georgetown VFD just outside Vista in CT runs a 2000 Sutphen Mini tower i believe with a pump, from what i remember it was a 75 or 80 footer.

Bethel Tower 1 1977 85' w/ 1250 pump - oldest sutphen in service in CT

Georgetown Tower 8 70+ w/ 1500 pump

Ridgefield Tower 10 - 1986 100' w/ 1500 pump

Good article in Fire Resuce magazine this month about the Sutphen Corp.

Ladder 29 in Scarsdale is a 1999 Stuphen 70+. I believe that they and Chappaqua have the only 2 in the county at the time. My uncle is a ex-chief in Hicksville, Long Island-they have a entire fleet of Stuphens. All front line apparatuas and reserve rigs.I might be wrong but, 2 towers-90',5 engines, 1 heavy recue,1 cascade unit,and a foam/haz-mat unit.

There is one in North Eastern CT, I don't know which company has it, I'll look it up

Patterson, NY

1988/89 Sutphen 100 foot TL

2002 Sutphen Tanker Pumper.

All of Patterson's front line fleet with the exception of the Rescue is now Sutphen.

22-2-1 1994 Pumper

22-2-3 2000 Pumper

22-2-5 1993 Pumper

22-4-2 1999 Tanker/Pumper

22-5-1 1989 Tower

the Paterson T/L is that the old Mt.Kisco truck i may be wrong please let me know or did they get a new one

Chappaqua's Tower Quint is not the only one of it's type. Sutphen has manufactured small towers for years. THey used to make a 60+ footer as well.

They also make mid mount quints (essentially Chappaqua's Tower without the bucket) which are great for districts with height restrictions on roads or bay doors.

I'm not really sure why Yonkers wasn't thrilled with Sutphen rigs.

The City of Orlando, FL runs Sutphens exclusively and has for decades. It would probably be easier to purchase E-One's since the factory is only 60 miles from Orlando, but they continue to purchase Sutphens.

They have 15 front line engines in 14 stations)

6 or 7 90+ ft towers

1 Heavy Rescue (one of the biggest I've ever seen)

1 Hazmat Unit

Several Spare Towers, Engines that are all Sutphens.

They just took delivery of more apparatus to replace older rigs this year.

Sutphen makes great ladders. I have not heard the greatest feedback on their engines. I know of a number of departments that are not thrilled with them for a number of reasons. You really don't get that kind of feedback about their ladders, though.

An interesting fact...most of the engines are made out east here, and the ladders are made in Ohio. Not sure what that is all about, but a former department of mine bought a tower and an engine made at separate plants, and it was like they were from two different manufacturers. One sucked and one rocked, both from day one.

In Buchanan, we run a 1998 Sutphen (International cab/chassis) as a rescue-pumper and 2nd due engine.

The rig is a pretty decent one, at least as far as pumping and what not. The only big problem we have had is that the pump panel (computer) has crapped out. The pump-panel info center won't work occasionally and will come back on like magic lol. I just wish it were a "true" Sutphen pumper such as Scarsdale E54.

I actually have a question for any Chappaqua members or anyone who knows alot about thier TL27. Is Chappaqua happy with the rig, as far as if the rig works well and if it is practical? From the specs on Sutphens webpage, a rig like Chappaqua's may be a decent rig for us (Buchanan). I don't want anyone laughing or making jokes about that either lol! And trust me, it will be a long, long time before we get any sort of ladder truck in Buchanan! However i believe that the Sutphen aerial-ladder maodels such as the SA65, SA75 or the 61' Water-Tower would suite Buchanan perfectly. We would need a pump, but with some sort of a stick in the Village, we would be more self-sufficient and wouldn't have to rely on m/a for a truck company.

the Paterson T/L is that the old Mt.Kisco truck i may be wrong please let me know or did they get a new one

Mt Kisco's older TL-14 went to JH Ketchem Hose in Dover Plains. Patterson bought thiers new.

negative K, Scarsdale has the only other Sutphen 70+ Mini tower in the county. The Chapaqua truck has a pump, the Scarsdale Truck dose not. There is another one in rockland somewhere, i forget the town. For what you gain in being able to fit in smaller places with a shorter driving truck, you loose in the reach of the platform. so your apparatus placement becomes even more critical. Every design has it's advatages, this one I feel is very limited. the sutphen platform on the 70 and 90+ footers is only rated to hold 750-800 Lbs. And because of it's low weight rating and design, you are unable to raise the ladder pipe nozzles past the horizontal position. So you are limited in the opperations you can perform with this truck. Know what you are going to use it for , and the kind of buildings you have in your area. If you compare it to what else is out there you will wonder why they are still building trucks.. Becareful what you buy.

Edited by Truckie Buff

Shortly after TL-27 went into service in Chappaqua, I asked them to come do a drill with us (Millwood) at Westorchard Elementary School where I held one of our annual ladder company operations drill. With the Telesquirt (E-245) and TL-27 side-by-side, we worked for a few hours on several evolutions. As of that time, Chappaqua appeared to be happy with the apparatus.

There are a few Chappaqua officers that read these pages every once and again. I'm sure one will comment on the current opinion of TL-27 at some point.

When we took delivery of E-248, there were a few snafu's that took some time to work out with the Sutphen East Corporation. Most of it wasn't Sutphens fault, it had to do with faulty equipment that was made by third parties such as the CAFS pump and the generator.

As of right now, all the issues are worked out and the rig is apparently running great. I drove it to an alarm while I was home for Thanksgiving and checked all the old problems out from when I was Captain and there were no issues.

In Dutchess I believe the only Sutphens are :

New Hamburg 53-45 1986 100' Tower Ladder

Unionvale 67-14 2005 pumper

City of Beacon 33-12 1994 pumper

Rombout 62-12 1995 pumper & 62-45 1990 100' Tower Ladder

Union Vale has four Sutphen pumpers with 67-14 being the newest.

PC414