Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BedfordFire

The Sutphen Corporation...

46 posts in this topic

Stamford's 1999 Truck 2 was a Sutphen 75' mini-tower when built as a demo, but the department had the bucket removed prior to delivery and the 500 gallon tank replaced with a 300 gallon tank.

I guess we were trying to "un-quint" the truck and make it look more like a ladder.

After 6 years, the truck is being taken out of service in the spring when a new 109' HME rear mount aerial is delivered.

The Sutphen was offered to the Stamford Vol. Departments, but they were not interested.

Most likely, it will go into reserve status for use as a spare ladder.

Unless someone wants to offer-up a trade? :rolleyes:

the Paterson T/L is that the old Mt.Kisco truck i may be wrong please let me know or did they get a new one

The old Mt. Kisco truck went to Dutchess County (Dover Plains), about 91' ??, it was just recently sold to a department in the Albany area, i will let you know who when i think of it. Dover Plains is waiting the arrival of a new E-One 75' quint to replace the Sutphen truck.

In Dutchess I believe the only Sutphens are :

New Hamburg 53-45 1986 100' Tower Ladder

Unionvale 67-14 2005 pumper

City of Beacon 33-12 1994 pumper

Rombout 62-12 1995 pumper & 62-45 1990 100' Tower Ladder

I believe there is one engine in Poughkeepsie, and a 75' platform in Hyde Park.

The old Mt. Kisco truck went to Dutchess County (Dover Plains), about 91' ??, it was just recently sold to a department in the Albany area, i will let you know who when i think of it. Dover Plains is waiting the arrival of a new E-One 75' quint to replace the Sutphen truck.

Correct - I want to say Colonie but can't confirm.

The department bought it to replace a spare Tower that was in an accident to keep their ISO Rating (higher rating wioth a spare truck?)

In any event - they were doing in service on Dover's old tower, swung a corner and ripped the bucket off - no more reserve ladder! :lol:

Glenbrook in Stamford CT has a sutphen engine, however as far as Darien or more specificly Noroton Volunteer Fire in Darien, They have a 104' Sutphen tower ladder. It is black over red. There new engine (bought in 2002) is a Marion rescue pumper, black over red not Sutphen.

Edited by nutty1

"The Sutphen was offered to the Stamford Vol. Departments, but they were not interested.

Most likely, it will go into reserve status for use as a spare ladder."

are they crazy? what rationale did springdale use for not wanting to replace an almost 50 year old snorkel and i realize the limitations of a 75' ladder but the tip load increase would have been a good trade-off for glenbrook's almost 40 year old stick and it would have made a nice 1st due quint responding out of station 2 for turn of river to all the schools, office parks & nursing facilities in their 1st due response area. a little creative thinking would have found this a nice new home but then again other than belltown's tower how many of the other 3 vol. trucks even get out the door? probably better off keeping downtown where it'll see some work.

In Dutchess I believe the only Sutphens are :

New Hamburg 53-45 1986 100' Tower Ladder

Unionvale 67-14 2005 pumper

City of Beacon 33-12 1994 pumper

Rombout 62-12 1995 pumper & 62-45 1990 100' Tower Ladder

Amenia 31-17 is a Sutphen on a Freightliner chassis

Dovers Ladder -Wrecked

Hyde Park 46-45 is a nice new (04) mini-tower (75ft)

Red hook used to have a nice Sutphen tower.. but replaced it with an equally nice new pierce mid mount in '03

No engine in Poughkeepsie anymore... they got rid of that when they purchased the new E-1

ok i'm done

Edited by Turborich

Dovers Ladder -Wrecked

Was no longer Dover's.

They are currently operatimng with no truck, awaiting a new E-One stick.

Glenbrook in Stamford CT has a sutphen engine, however as far as Darien or more specificly Noroton Volunteer Fire in Darien, They have a 104' Sutphen tower ladder. It is black over red. There new engine (bought in 2002) is a Marion rescue pumper, black over red not Sutphen.

I thought Noroton's truck was a straight stick? Well, I could be wrong. Anyway, Trumbull Center Fire Department in Faifield County has a tower and here is the link to a picture;

http://www.tcfd.com/apparatus/

Edited by lhfdvolly

I've worked with Sutphen aerials and TLs in Stamford and Port Chester. In Stamford, the midship mounted aerial at Truck #3 is good but the 75' aerial at Truck #2 is very difficult to climb, especially at the tip where a four rung, angled down, extension was added. This is required so that you could get the tip somewhere near a window sill. It's tough enough climbing out onto that for a firefighter...imagine being a civilian.

The SFRD Truck #1 has had a 100' Sutphen quint since 1995 and it's been working out fine. The only negative is the bucket. It's too small, difficult to work from (not ergonomically designed), and has a tendency to be struck (or knocked off!) due to it's low slung position.

I truly think Sutphen has redeemed themselves with their new SPH100 tower ladder. The bucket is larger (more square footage) with two doors, a step that surrounds three sides of the bucket, and a center control console. A great improvement is that the bucket sits on top of the rig where it is less likely to be struck. It does project out from the rear of the rig (over 3/4 of the bucket) but it is placed in a far better position than the earlier models. Check out their website.

www.sutphen.com

As previously stated we are replacing Truck #2 with an HME rear mount so I don't know if future trucks (toers or others) will be Sutphen. The current trend is to standardize to the HME rigs so that's probably the way we'll go.

As far as other Sutphens out there the Stepney Fire Department in Monroe, CT. has a nice black over red pumper that's two or three years old. They have a website also.

Be Safe!!!

SFRD49

"The only negative is the bucket. It's too small, difficult to work from (not ergonomically designed), and has a tendency to be struck (or knocked off!) due to it's low slung position."

"iron mike" allowed this to be after all the work he put into that truck? all kidding aside that is a nice truck as is 3 truck. other than being pressed for time i never could figure out why you guys bought that converted 75' mini tower.

are you guys having electrical problems etc with those hme's like turn of river is having with theirs? if so it's got to be driving ralph crazy.

Speaking of Sutphen and the SFRD...

Truck 3 is featured on Sutphen's website, under Products>Aerial Ladders>SL104

(Although the site seems to be having an issue properly displaying the image...)

I thought Noroton's truck was a straight stick? Well, I could be wrong. Anyway, Trumbull Center Fire Department in Faifield County has a tower and here is the link to a picture;

http://www.tcfd.com/apparatus/

Acctually no you are not wrong you are correct it is a stick not a tower. Because we have a tower, I am so use to saying and typing tower. Please do forgive......lol

Was no longer Dover's.

They are currently operatimng with no truck, awaiting a new E-One stick.

I think it went to City of Cohoes.