Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TR54

Ward LaFrance In Westchester County

11 posts in this topic

Ward LaFrance Fairview E 175 working

post-23-1200974647.jpg

Town of Mamaroneck Eng 37 ran a ward. it was replaced around 1984

New Rochelle E23, replaced in 1988. Was sold to Eastchester. Hit a pole behind lord & taylors and that was it.

New Cannaan replaced tanker 8, this fall.

Croton Falls had 2 Wards a 1939 and a 1948. They were replaced in about 1968 or 1969 with a pair of twin GMCs. The 1948 was sold, but I can't remember where it went. The 1939 was taken over by the Department, sat around for several years after a few attempts by members to "restore her" We only recently sent it out for a complete, professional restoration. I know it's conna cost a lot, but I think it'll be worth it since it was our first commercially acquired pumper. It's a big part of our heritage. When we get it back I'll get some pix and post them.

Edited by DOC22

Hartsdale ran two 1976 Ward LaFrance's as front line apparatus until 2000 when they were replaced by the current 169 and 170 which are 2000 Pierce Dash's. Hartsdale still has 1 of these Ward LaFrances as a spare engine which is now 171.

Unfortunatlly the Ward LaFrance will not be around much longer.

Croton Falls had 2 Wards a 1939 and a 1948. They were replaced in about 1968 or 1969 with a pair of twin GMCs. The 1948 was sold, but I can't remember where it went. The 1939 was taken over by the Department, sat around for several years after a few attempts by members to "restore her" We only recently sent it out for a complete, professional restoration. I know it's conna cost a lot, but I think it'll be worth it since it was our first commercially acquired pumper. It's a big part of our heritage. When we get it back I'll get some pix and post them.

That is great news that the 39 was saved. In most case's It brings the membership together, old and new. I remember the 39 when we went up to get apples in the 60's. glad to help on parts if needed.

1954 WARD LA FRANCE that ran as engine 59 from 1954 to 1969. PORT CHESTER FIRE DEPT. One of four Wards that ran with the PCFD from 1948 till 1990. Will post more pic's soon.

post-289-1201049123.jpg

MORE WARD LAFRANCE'S 1949 ward t-85 750 gpm 300 gal tank that ran as eng 192 milton E&H RYE CITY F.D. In service 1949 till 1966. 1950 's ward that ran as eng 38 village of MAMARONECK F.D. Two wards in town of MAMARONECK, one was QUAD 5 1950's and the other was a T-85 pump that was repowered with a diesel that lasted into the 80's, early 1960 vintage. WEST HARISON also had a t-85 about same vintage. I will post some pict. as soon as I can.

West Harrison's was a 1957 or 1958. About the same age as Purchase's old quad.

Here are two pictures of Rye's Eng 192 Ward post-2996-1201637288.jpg

post-2996-1201637226.jpg

Building behind Engine in second photo is Milton Fire House. Looking close you can also see the area is flooded. I do not know dates for either photo although the first picture says Winter '61 on the back

Edited by turk182

Thats why the firehouse now has flood gates after the rehab.

Flood Gates will only LESSEN the damage to the structure in event of a MAJOR incident.

Apparatus and Manpower will have to relocate since the gates will block all means of egress into the building living area.

Too bad no gates for HQ at this present time.

in the 80's my grandfather worked for the City of Peekskill and drove a ward lafrance out of the washington engine co#2 station.

That was an American LaFrance. North Highlands in Putnam still has one or two in service. And Rombout in Dutchess had one or two.

And how can we have a Ward thread without a mention of the most famous one of all. Engine 51.