Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

An NYPD Ambulance?

13 posts in this topic

who can say to me what kind of vehicle is this and for what? :unsure:

post-3713-1138578200.jpg

I would assume NYPD ESU also runs there own buses for raids and what not, thats the first time I've seen a NYPD EMS Unit an actual bus. interesting.

I saw that bus once at a hospital - yea its an NYPD ESU Ambulance. I assume its just for its own members - but it could be maybe also a mutual aide unit?? anyone have more info - but yes it is a functional ambulance -- I kind did a double take the 1st time I saw it b/c I'm always used to any NYC Ambulance being FDNY or a hospital, not NYPD

it's for NYPD-MOS only

somebody still has pictures of this?

if i remember correctly - they are fully outfitted ambulances, but i had heard, years ago, are often used for previoulsy injured mos to be taken to hospitals, out patient therapy, stuff like that. I also heard a rumor that there is a hidden and/or locked munitions cabinet inside - but that could also just be rumor.

This is a unit within ESU, that is used to transport injured and sick members of the service to and from Medical Facilities. Those members of the service can be either active or retired.

This is the current version of that:

DSC01204copy.jpg

I have been told that this unit is used by the bomb squad to carry equipment. Another rumor is floating around that it is an ESU or Detectives spec ops personnel carrier. I don't know the definitive answer.

I have seen an ESU NYPD ambulance floating around the Bronx once but I didn't have my camera with me. It really didn't look anythink like the above pic but it did say ambulance and have the NYS Cert sticker on it in blue on the side. I thought i heard that NYPD ESU was doing ems after they got the ALS done. But I wasn't too sure. I have my camera in my car now so if i see it again i will get a pic.

The one I posted has no REMO or REMSCO markings, and also bears no star of life or NYS medical logos. I highly doubt the one I photographed is used for EMS. That's not to say though, that there aren't others that are used for EMS or medical transport.

the ambulance is run by ESU. they deliver oxygen to MOS's family.

The unit in FDNY 10-75's photo appears to be assigned to the Detective Bureau based on the "DB" marking on the rear of the vehicle next to its number. It could be used by the Bomb Squad, or for crime scene units. They also have a few of the Freightliner Sprinters. The Police Relief fund does run an ambulance for members (and immediate family members i believe) for transports up to 250 miles as long as one point falls within NYC.

The two pictures that are posted are two diffrent vehicles. The one posted closer to the beginning is the police ambulance that is operated by members of the Emergency Service Section. They are EMT's and they will operate during regular business hours. They are used for members of the department that have injuries that will not allow them to get to or from the hospital. They generally require one of the destinations to be within the confines of the city of NY. This unit turns out of Queens. Members of the department can also get loan medical equipment from this facility.

The second picture is a vehicle operated by the BOMB SQUAD. It carries special equipment in it like a robot or the bomb suits.