Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest x2371

New Battalions in Westchester!

31 posts in this topic

Now a Battalion 11

Pleasantville, Thornwood, Valhalla, Hawthorne, Grasslands. We are out of Batt. 12

I also heard a couple other got changed! Anyone else got any more info?

Now a Battalion 11

Pleasantville, Thornwood, Valhalla, Hawthorne, Grasslands.  We are out of Batt.  12

I also heard a couple other got changed!  Anyone else got any more info?

Chappaqua is going to Bat 16.

With 13 Depts. this Batt. was definately too big, stretching from Croton to Valhalla, Chappaqua to Archville. With the new radio system TalkGroup assignments by Batt. there would not have been much improvement over what we have now when it hits the fan. And when anyone in the Batt. TG accesses a tower off of the North Zone it would retransmit off all South Zone towers in addition to the remaining North Zone towers thus tying up a two freqs. and transmitting on both Zones.

Who is the new Battalion Himself?

I do not believe a coordinator has been selected yet.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

With 13 Depts. this Batt. was definately too big, stretching from Croton to Valhalla, Chappaqua to Archville. With the new radio system TalkGroup assignments by Batt. there would not have been much improvement over what we have now when it hits the fan. And when anyone in the Batt. TG accesses a tower off of the North Zone it would retransmit off all South Zone towers in addition to the remaining North Zone towers thus tying up a two freqs. and transmitting on both Zones.

I agree it was too much to have 13 departments. Losing Tony Bosco who I have worked with for years on the fireground is the only downfall for us as he is not only a great batt coordinator but is a great guy all around and a pleasure to have responding to our incidents. His experience and knowledge has been a great help to me in past incidents.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

Andy It could be a job for you!!! you would make a great coordinator.If not hmmmm let me thing about who else fits.

just my thoughts

Andy  It could be a job for you!!! you  would make a great  coordinator.If not hmmmm let me thing about  who else fits.

just my thoughts

Capt, thanks for the confidence but I think my plate is full right now or will be one I am off the crutches. I can't wait to get back to the training center and continue teaching and facilitating.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

cant wait to get you back chief you have beem sorly missed

Has anyone heard anything about major changes in the Westchester battalions?

I heard something that several departments were shifted around to new battalion areas, prompted by the new radio system. The new battalions will also be new talkgroup areas.

If you really want to know about the realignment of the battalions, talk to your Chief. A mailing was sent out by J. Jackson from DES that outlines in a DRAFT, the new assignments.

Battalion 17 will be: Yorktown, Millwood, Moheagan,Cont. Village and Camp Smith.

I believe that the Tri village area up by Buchanan will be a battallion newly created.

I agree with you Andy. It will be sad to see us part from Tony B. He's a good man.

Can someone give me the Westchester County definition of a Battalion and a Battalion Coordinator? I would like to have a better idea of what the DES wants to accomplish by having these, and also what was the purpose of the realignment.

NEW BATTALION 19:

Scarsdale (OLD BAT 19)

White Plains (OLD BAT 19)

North White Plains (OLD BAT 16)

Purchase (OLD BAT 15)

Westchester County Airport (OLD BAT 15)

West Harrison (OLD BAT 15)

JBJ

Yeah Tri-village (Montrose, Verplanck, and Buchanan) and a few others, Montrose VA, Croton, and Peekskill I hear is going to be in there own .

Can someone give me the Westchester County definition of a Battalion and a Battalion Coordinator? I would like to have a better idea of what the DES wants to accomplish by having these, and also what was the purpose of the realignment.

JBJ

JB:

A battalion is a group of fire departments that usually work together and frequently are called in to mutual aid together. Each battlion has a coordinator in which they are responsible for assisting the chief or incident commander with mutual aid assignments which allows the commander to worry about the incident and not worry about who's covering who. They also serve as a great help to obtain other resources. There are other duties they are responsible for such as coordinating battalion drills.

As far as to why the realignment, my guess is some battalions, like mine were too big. Battalion 12 had approx 12 departments and now we we ( new batt 11) are down to 5 which I believe to be more manageable. I hope I answered at least some of your questions.

Andy Mancusi

Chief

Hawthorne FD

JB:

A battalion is a group of fire departments that usually work together and frequently are called in to mutual aid together.

I believe that while the old Battalion 15 might have been one of the larger groups (10), all of them worked together from top to bottom. This isnt going to change any M/A assignments, so what was accomplshed?

Is this what is left of Battalion 15?

Larchmont, Town of Mamaroneck, Village of Mamaroneck, Harrison,

Rye, Port Chester, and Rye Brook

The idea as I have heard was to reduce the size of the current battalions. Some were like 12 departments and others were only 4 or 5. This evens them out so they say.

Came across a DRAFT copy of the PROPOSED new Battalion listings:

Battalion 10 - Buchanan, Croton, Montrose, Montrose VA, Peekskill, Verplanck

Battalion 11 - Hawthorne, Grassland, Pleasantville, Thornwood, Valhalla

Battalion 12 - Archville, Briarcliff Manor, Ossining, Pocantico Hills, Sing Sing, Sleepy Hollow

Battalion 13 - Croton Falls, Goldens Bridge, Pound Ridge, Somers, South Salem, Vista

Battalion 14 - Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Fairview, Hartsdale, Hastings, Irvington, Tarrytown

Battalion 15 - Harrison, Larchmont, Mamaroneck Town, Mamaroneck Village, Port Chester, Rye Brook, Rye

Battalion 16 - Armonk, Banksville, Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, Chappaqua, Katonah, Mount Kisco

Battalion 17 - Camp Smith, Continental Village, Indian Point, Millwood, Mohegan, Yorktown Heights

Battalion 18 - Eastchester, Greenville, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Yonkers

Battalion 19 - Greenville, North White Plains, Purchase, Scarsdale, West Harrison, Westchester County Airport, White Plains

Also saw a separate notice looking for applicants for Fire Mutual Aid Coordinators for Battalion vacancies. Listing can be found at Westchestergov.com

Edited by SteveOFD

Came across a DRAFT copy of the PROPOSED new Battalion listings:

Battalion 10 - Buchanan, Croton, Montrose, Montrose VA, Peekskill, Verplanck

Battalion 11 - Hawthorne, Grassland, Pleasantville, Thornwood, Valhalla

Battalion 12 - Archville, Briarcliff Manor, Ossining, Pocantico Hills, Sing Sing, Sleepy Hollow

Battalion 13 - Croton Falls, Goldens Bridge, Pound Ridge, South Salem, Vista

Battalion 14 - Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Fairview, Hartsdale, Hastings, Irvington, Tarrytown

Battalion 15 - Harrison, Larchmont, Mamaroneck Town, Mamaroneck Village, Port Chester, Rye Brook, Rye

Battalion 16 - Armonk, Banksville, Bedford Hills, Bedford Village, Chappaqua, Katonah, Mount Kisco

Battalion 17 - Camp Smith, Continental Village, Indian Point, Millwood, Mohegan, Yorktown Heights

Battalion 18 - Eastchester, Greenville, Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Pelham, Pelham Manor, Yonkers

Battalion 19 - Greenville, North White Plains, Purchase, Scarsdale, West Harrison, Westchester County Airport, White Plains

Also saw a separate notice looking for applicants for Deputy Coordinators for Battalion vacancies.

Why would Indian Point be in one Battalion and Verplanck/Buchanan in a seperate?

I dont know how accurate that list is because one thing that I noticed was that Somers was not listed.

Sorry about the typo Somers is in Batt 13. Will check on Indian Pt. when I stop by the Firehouse, I may not have copied it right.

The list I copied was on Weschester County letterhead.

Also note addition of Mutual Aid Coordinator job listing on previous post.

Edited by SteveOFD

These new areas seem kinda not well planned, take for instance hartsdale our m/a plan has Fairview and Greenville and Scarsdale on a 2nd alarm..

now whats that 3 different batalions? not well planned were goin to end up with more BaTT cordinators on scene then m/a companies

Battalion 19 - North White Plains, Purchase, Scarsdale, West Harrison, Westchester County Airport, White Plains

also many of these departments that are now grouped together will never call each other for reasons that we all know, this doens;t make it right but i think some of the lower westchester batts were fine as is.

These new areas seem kinda not well planned, take for instance hartsdale our m/a plan has Fairview and Greenville and Scarsdale on a 2nd alarm..

now whats that 3 different batalions? not well planned were goin to end up with more BaTT cordinators on scene then m/a companies

In every batallion there are instances of multiple Battalions comming on the 2nd alarm for some department. No matter how you draw it up you end up some dept's drawing from multiple battalions.

I think the main Battalion Chief that gets called is the chief's who dept has the fire. They don't come if there dept goes on mutual aide out of there Battalion. I may be wrong but thats how I believe it works.

Even still take Hartsdale for example again caz i know it better we used to be BATT19 with greenville, fairview, white plains and scarsdale those are the departments we work with most given there are times we call elmsford but still thats only 2 Batts now it will be at minimum 3 different Batts..also it worked the other way as well because all those depts called each other on 2nd alarms and or for coverage as well so it fit the coin both ways...the new system i thing is semi illogical but who am i , and also lets face it in the career departments i don;t think these BATTs have as big a role as in some of northern westchester.. i also would like to know what are the qualifications to be a Batt Chief?

Edited by HFD23

Just my opinion... But wouldn't this sound a little more logical... Give or take a company here or there.... I'm sure I've missed or duped one or two but I think everyone gets the point...

Briarcliff, Ossining, Archville, Croton, Millwood, Yorktown, Mohegan, Somers

Montrose, Buchannan, Verplanck, VA Hospital, Peekskill, Continental Village

Pleasantville, Hawthorne, Valhalla, Grasslands, Thornwood, North White Plains

Chappaqua, Mt. Kisco, Bedford Hills, Bedford, Katonah, Armonk

Banksville, Vista, Pound Ridge, Goldens Bridge, South Salem, Croton Falls

Sleepy Hollow, Pocantico Hills, Tarrytown, Elmsford, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Ardsley

Larchmont, Mamaroneck Village, Town of Mamaroneck, Purchase, Airport, Port Chester, West Harrison, Harrison, Rye

Fairview, Greenville, Hartsdale, Scarsdale, Eastchester, White Plains

Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Pelham, Pelham Manor, New Rochelle

Edited by mfc2257

Checked the County List dated 1/24/06 posted at the Firehouse,

note the following corrections from my previous post

Greenville is in Battalion 18

Indian Point is not listed.

Edited by SteveOFD

Just my opinion... But wouldn't this sound a little more logical... Give or take a company here or there.... I'm sure I've missed or duped one or two but I think everyone gets the point...

Briarcliff, Ossining, Archville, Croton, Millwood, Yorktown, Mohegan, Somers

Montrose, Buchannan, Verplanck, VA Hospital, Peekskill, Continental Village

Pleasantville, Hawthorne, Valhalla, Grasslands, Thornwood, North White Plains

Chappaqua, Mt. Kisco, Bedford Hills, Bedford, Katonah, Armonk

Banksville, Vista, Pound Ridge, Goldens Bridge, South Salem, Croton Falls

Sleepy Hollow, Pocantico Hills, Tarrytown, Elmsford, Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, Ardsley

Larchmont, Mamaroneck Village, Town of Mamaroneck, Purchase, Airport, Port Chester, West Harrison, Harrison, Rye

Fairview, Greenville, Hartsdale, Scarsdale, Eastchester, White Plains

Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Pelham, Pelham Manor, New Rochelle

i think that this list seems to make alot more sense but what can ya say ro do, who is responsable for these reorganization

Going by who works with whom most oftenly,, Somers should be with Croton Falls, Goldens Bridge and the rest of that group. Banksville should be with the Armonk, Bedford group

Edited by EJS1810

great, if this is true, Port Chester now will be in two battalions! 15 and 19. the airport is not in white plains