Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
92DLt

No breaks on speeding tickets

22 posts in this topic

I just heard a rumor that a new law was passed that prohibits a state trroper from reducing a speeding ticket in court. Whatever the speed is on the ticket is what you get fined for no reductions. Can anyone back this up?

Edited by 92DLt

What state are you referring to, NY? I haven't heard anything about it here in NJ.

Scott

Apparently no pre trial pleas to reduce - only the judge or lawyers can work deals - something along those lines.....

Apparently no pre trial pleas to reduce - only the judge or lawyers can work deals  - something along those lines.....

Ok, here is the short version of the story:

NYSP Administration are attempting to cut back on Court overtime. Although they claim it is to be 'more fair to motorists.'

They're plan, as of September 1st, 2006 is to stop having Troopers go to Court to plea bargain the cases and instead have the local DA's and Towns/Villages/Etc hire prosecutors instead.

The problem is most DA's offices will not handle the V&T Calendar, and since the State is not actually providing any funds to hire hundreds of new ADA's, this issue is far from settled.

This will be a long drawn out battle between the PBA and SP Administration.

Since when do State Trooper give breaks anyway...?

Believe me although I have never gotten a ticket, I know plenty of people that have gotten their tickets reduced from the state troopers

"Plea deals on tickets from troopers to end"

To view this article on the Poughkeepsie Journal's Web site, go to:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pb...D=2006604100312

After reading the article from the poughkeepsie journal it is clear that this is just to give people no choice but to pay even if you were in the right, unless of course you drive a BMW or a Mercedes and you can afford to hire a lawyer. According to the article you will either have to go to court (hire a lawyer) or just pay the fine and since many people cannot afford a lawyer, they will have no choice but to pay. This is just another way to make the Rich Richer and the Poor Poorer.

Just my thoughts

Edited by Porsha911gt3

My interpritation of the article is that troopers will no longer appear at court for tickets issued. Which means you can not plea with the trooper for a lesser charge.

What it sounds like might have to happen is the town's attorney will taking the troopers place at court. Someone will have to act on behalf of the public at court as the judge can not.

No they definitely do. It happens in Towns and Villages too. I have experienced this personally. Usually its a case where a moving vioaltion is downgraded to so you don't get points on your license. There is still a fine thought it could be less than the original violation.

I LOVE NYS TROOPERS!!!!!!!!

signed,

The guy going too fast in the pretty green Tahoe.

looks like everyone should slow down.

The fact of the matter is that local courts in Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, well pretty much the whole Hudson Valley could not function if it were not for plea barganing. The Vehicle and Traffic law legal system in the Hudson Valley relies upon plea barganing.

Unless this region becomes like New York City where there is no plea barganing and everybody goes to trial I highly doubt there will be an end to plea barganing. This region just does not have the resources for that kind of undertaking. So, if this were going to become a reality either our taxes are going to go up astronomically or there will be a lot of dismissed traffic tickets.

i'm sure there is something to reduce the ticket. i will have to ask a friend of mine to see if this is really true, because most officers will help if you show up at court.

Here in NJ a directive came down from the AG's Office some time ago dealing with ammending tickets. In NJ you are allowed to plead-out to an "unsafe driving charge" twice in a five year period. However the AG excludes Speeding as one of the tickets that prosecutors are able to reduce. There is a rational behind it, but, way to lenqthy to get into it in a single post. Not sure about NYS maybe they followed the same path.

Rick

i'm sure there is something to reduce the ticket. i will have to ask a friend of mine to see if this is really true, because most officers will help if you show up at court.

As a NYST, you can take my word for it.

Here in NJ a directive came down from the AG's Office some time ago dealing with ammending tickets. In NJ you are allowed to plead-out to an "unsafe driving charge" twice in a five year period. However the AG excludes Speeding as one of the tickets that prosecutors are able to reduce. There is a rational behind it, but, way to lenqthy to get into it in a single post. Not sure about NYS maybe they followed the same path.

The rational in New York is reducing overtime costs.

They do all the time! As a NYSP Explorer, I have gone to court many a time when tickets were reduced, or just dropped.

Just know that the State has to make money somehow. Plenty of speed demons out there!

My interpritation of the article is that troopers will no longer appear at court for tickets issued.  Which means you can not plea with the trooper for a lesser charge. 

What it sounds like might have to happen is the town's attorney will taking the troopers place at court.  Someone will have to act on behalf of the public at court as the judge can not.

If there is no People's side, all the tickets are dismissed. So someone has to act as the prosecutor. And if I plead not guilty and get a trial, the trooper is supposed to appear anyway. So where is the cost savings? The trooper becomes a witness, instead of the prosecutor. But then that is still overtime. It will become another unfunded mandate from Albany to hire Deputy Town & Village Attorneys.

If there is no People's side, all the tickets are dismissed. So someone has to act as the prosecutor. And if I plead not guilty and get a trial, the trooper is supposed to appear anyway. So where is the cost savings?  The trooper becomes a witness, instead of the prosecutor. But then that is still overtime. It will become another unfunded mandate from Albany to hire Deputy Town & Village Attorneys.

Simple, if you decide to not take the plea, they will schedule the actual trial where the trooper will appear.

Simple, if you decide to not take the plea, they will schedule the actual trial where the trooper will appear.

Yes, but there still has to be a prosceutor. And who is offering the plea if the Troopers no longer are???

Having never been in the situation, all these reductions from the troopers come on the day the ticket is due back or does the motorist plead not guilty and then before the trial the ticket is reduced?

Yes, but there still has to be a prosceutor. And who is offering the plea if the Troopers no longer are???

Having never been in the situation, all these reductions from the troopers come on the day the ticket is due back or does the motorist plead not guilty and then before the trial the ticket is reduced?

The motorist mails in the ticket (or if a Misd, appears in person) by the date on the bottom of the UTT, pleading guilty or not. Then, if pleading not guilty, depending on how backed up the Court is (up to 2-3 years in some Courts), you receive a Court date and have a pre-trial conference with the Trooper where you try and make a deal. 99.99% end up coming to an agreement, 0.01% go to trial. And as long as you are a Trooper with more than 2 weeks on the job, you will win 99.99% of the time at trial.

The prosecutor is in court and getting paid one way or the other, whether he is working V&T that day or a Penal Law violation.

As for the reduction in the summons, some places have a prosecutor that offers the reduced deal via mail before the trial date. Some places wait until immediately before trial, where the officer after looking at your driving history will offer you aa reduced charge. It is up to the judge to decide if he is willing to accept the reduced charge.