Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Arenas Get "Extreme Home Makeover"!

74 posts in this topic

Frank Becerra Jr, Great pictures! Please keep them coming.

What an excellent job all are doing to help make this a success. The strength of the firefighting brotherhood always shines the brightest when one of there own is in need.

I wonder if Jim is checking out this web site :P

Frank Becerra Jr, Great pictures! Please keep them coming.

What an excellent job all are doing to help make this a success. The strength of the firefighting brotherhood always shines the brightest when one of there own is in need.

I wonder if Jim is checking out this web site :P

where are the photo's?

where are the photo's?

They're on the .COM

Edited by Porsha911gt3

All I can say is, excellent! Brotherhood at its best and finest. All of you who pulled together to help should be very proud. I wasn't there but I can honestly say that it makes me proud to be part of an organization such as ours knowing that there are people like yourselves that are always there to lend a hand in times of need. Bravo to all of you and especially to the Arena family. I've never met you but from what I have read on this site there is no one more deserving of this effort than you. Best wishes Arena family! :P

They're on the .COM

sry...whats the full link

edit: nm, figured it out

Edited by EMSJunkie712

Some nice work by Frank as always - he does a nice job making us in the fire service look good. Does he have an EMTBravo ID? Or, does anyone have his email address? A few of these are good photos, of which I'd like to have copies.

A great turnout, everyone...nicely done. Was up at the house today, and there was so much help, we had trouble finding anything to do. That's a good sign. By all accounts, the Arenas are coming home to a beautiful place to call home. Hey, Jimmy...no peaking.

The Katonah Fire Department Helmet Ty is wearing in the pictures and for Demo, is Jim Arena 3rd's (The Father) Helmet.

I would just like to say to anybody that is thinking about volunteering, the time that you are there fly’s by. I was there yesterday I told the guy I was working with I have to go soon I told my wife I would be home early afternoon. He then told me it was 6pm. I figured it was about 12 or 1 at the latest. Volunteers bring snacks right to you, asking if you want anything. They have hot meals also, the lunches and dinners are sit down, either in a tent or “the clubhouse†(Lake Purdy’s Community House). Everybody is nice to you they understand that you are volunteering.

Cutty, nice photos! You were obviously much closer to the action that I was! By the way, he's too humble to say so in the caption, but that's BHFD Chief of Department Joe "Scooter" Lombardo standing alone on the roof about halfway down the line of photos on the right.

I volunteered on Saturday for about 12 hours and all I can say is what an AWESOME experience, everyone was so happy and upbeat despite the weather conditions.

I'm hoping to go back Monday and Tuesday evenings after work.

Keep up the great work, and thank you for such an Amazing Day!!! :D:D:D

"Cherish Yesterday,Dream Tomorrow and Live Today"

I was there all day Sunday, 7am to 11pm. The day started slow but the pace really picked up. When I got there the house was completely sheathed and partially sided, electrical run throught out the house and plumbed through out the house. The sheet rockers showed up at 9 but there was no insulation yet and the roofers had not shown. by 11pm the house was 98% sided, 98% shingled, 100% sheetrocked, two coats of spackle, interior trim going on and septic being laid.

A lot of good volunteer turnout. Mahopac FD had about 15 guys and gals, there were six or seven Somers members, and a couple from Armonk.

The weather is really looking crappy for the rest of the project. Let pray they get some breaks and are able to get the landscaping done.

Go on up and volunteer. bring your helmet as your hardhat.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this story, I found this neat little synopsis in a press release on Alure's website. Alure is the general contractor for this project.

Jimmy "Jimboy" Arena changed an entire community forever. Diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor at five years-old Jimboy stayed strong. He inspired hundreds of neighbors, community members, several fire departments, officials and his own family with his infectious smile and spirit. Everyone in town knew Jimboy and prayed for him. They held fundraisers, birthday parties and even a parade to welcome him home from the hospital. But on September 28th 2005, shortly after his sixth birthday, Jimboy died and the Arena Family lost their only son.

The Arena's had saved enough money to repair and add onto their small home for their growing family but, when Jimboy was diagnosed, the funds went to experimental treatments across the country, medical care and travel expenses. Now the same community who supported Jimboy wants to pay tribute to him and help his family fix their broken home. After all, it was Jimboy who touched them all so deeply and he would've wanted this for his mom, dad and all of his sisters who took care of him.

A large Italian clan the Arena's can't enjoy a dinner together even though Mom Gina, loves to cook. Their small, 1400 square-foot rundown house has seen its share of wear and tear from the kids and is literally falling apart and bursting at the seams! With SIX daughters and one bathroom, the Arena's are in desperate need of bigger and better facilities!

In this episode of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" we learn how one little boy changed the lives of hundreds as we help his family get back on their feet and into a better and more accommodating home.

I just wanted to say what a awsome job you all have done for this family. may you all be blessed for the generosity and time that you all have put in to this. I know Jimmy is looking down with much love and praise for all of you.

Edited by ccbub31

After coming by today I can only say I wish I had more time to spend there. I can not wait to see the look on their faces when they get back. Just knowing you were a very small part of those smiles will be worth all the money in the world. I wish them the best with this new house, just wish i could be there for some more.

When I saw the pics, I was very pleased to see this happen. They deserve it very much! God bless Jimmyboy and his family.

Instead of "MOVE THAT BUS", it would be "MOVE THAT FIRE TRUCK".  Anyone from Katonah FD, Or other FD that could discuss this topic, and approach the production crew with it?

That's a great idea, I hope to see it happen.

I must say this project is extremly impressive - The home is beautiful, state-of-the-art and will accomodate this deserving family nicely. Also, impressive is the incredible effort put forth by everyone in the community - Seeing all of the fire personnel out there working hard reminds me of why I joined in the first place. I tip my hat to all the men and women out there - The Arenas are wonderful people that deserve every bit of what they will have on Wednesday. Having a truck or engine instead of the bus is already in discussion. I was told it may not be high enough to serve the purpose of blocking the house but the producers will consider it.

All i can say is WHAT AN HONOR!!! I spent over 12 hours there yesterday (Monday) and WOW!!!! My dogs(feet) are screaming. Great job by the Allure contractors especially Tommy with the loudspeaker barking out the orders. Its was great. Somebody said in an earlier post that time flew while they were there. I can vouch for that. You'd be working then take a little brake and eat lunch. Next thing i knew the volunteers are walking around saying dinners on. Time was flying. Even the band in the house behind the Arena's home was awesome.

Good luck to the Arena's and their new home.

I don't know the family personally, but their story has, like so many of you have already shared, changed my life. I wish them all the best in their new Extreme Home and know that Jimmy Boy will forever bless the new house and his family forever. I hope to be there tomorrow so that they can see how many lives were touched by the heart of a little boy and how his spirit will live on forever in all those who love him!

I just got back from the Makeover. It was beautiful. The Arena's were clearly emotional and the crowd was very nice and big and very supportive. There were many FFs there.

Look for footage tonight on News12, ABC News or RNN News.

Edited by breezly

post-1237-1146088604.jpgThe New House

post-1237-1146088837.jpgJim III

post-1237-1146088604.jpg

It was my "EXTREME" Pleasure, to be part of this wonderful and amazing experience. To see the smiles on the families faces was truly rewarding.

My hard hat is off to all of those who volunteered.

I will never forget this experience or the friends that I made.

Best Wishes to the Arena Family

and May God Bless and watch over you and your loved ones.

"I did notice a butterfly flying over near the waterfall once the family arrived, Jimmyboy truly was with you all"

Hugs

CountryGRL1

post-1843-1146093286.jpg

Edited by CountryGrl1

Good Luck to the Arena Family and their new house.

Congrats to everyone that worked on the house. You guys did an awsome job and made that house into something special and really did a good job considering the weather that we had.

how do they build a house in 7 days, it sounds impossible

great job by everyone, may god bless you all, for all that you have done for this family. Their lives have been changed forever and many, many new friends have been brought together to show the love and comapassion for a wonderful boy who has touched so many lives.

how do they build a house in 7 days, it sounds impossible

How about they built that house in 5 days!!!!! Tore down house on Friday and started building on Saturday.

Everybody remember May 14th the show airs.

Somers' 'Extreme' surprise: Take one

By ROB RYSER

THE JOURNAL NEWS

Airdate

"Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," featuring the Arenas' rebuilt house, will be shown at 8 p.m. May 14 on ABC.

• The Arena family reacts to its new home on LoHud.com/view

(Original publication: April 27, 2006)

SOMERS

Gina Arena broke down when she saw the crowd. James Arena broke down when he saw the house.

Seventeen-year-old Casey Arena, the oldest of the six Arena girls, dried tears from her eyes after hugging celebrity television host Ty Pennington.

It was the quintessential Hollywood moment for the Arena family, who lost 6-year-old Jimmy in September to a brain tumor.

And for 45 minutes yesterday afternoon, surrounded by a cheering crowd of hundreds in the otherwise quiet neighborhood of Lake Purdys, it was a highly public Hollywood moment — the climactic scene for an upcoming segment of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."

Here, before a family that went through a 20-month fight to save a child who had never been to kindergarten, stood a brand new Colonial home. Almost three times the size as the family's old ranch, it was outfitted with everything from pink sinks in the girls' bathroom to plasma televisions.

"I love you," said the mother, Gina Arena, to the crowd, which was kept back by barricades in all directions, but still as loud as any crowd after seven hours of anticipation.

Outside the spacious barn-red home was a fully landscaped yard with a memorial fountain, featuring a bronze firefighter's hose nozzle and a statue of a firefighter.

Of all the community support that surrounded the Arena family throughout its ordeal, local fire fighters were perhaps the most central, organizing blood drives and honoring "Jimboy" as an honorary firefighter. His father is an ex-fire chief.

"It will be a nice way for them to always remember Jimmy — they can take it as he is looking down on them, blessing them," said John Doyle, director of technology for Alure, the home improvement company that rebuilt the Arena home in seven days. "This is going to change their lives."

And, judging by comments yesterday from the neighborhood, this extreme surprise for the Arenas has changed hundreds of other lives as well.

"Everyone in this community has just bent over backwards to help make this happen," said Seth Selesnow, Alure's marketing director, who estimated that 80 Alure workers, 200 contractors and some 500 volunteers helped complete the new home on time. "It has been unlike anything we have ever seen."

Other donations to the Arenas included $2,500 in groceries from ShopRite and summer camp scholarships worth $50,000 from Camp Kiwi.

Who, asked neighbor Lisa Grosz, would want to miss this?

The Arenas stepped out of a long white limousine. The youngest daughter, Emma, clutched a Mickey Mouse doll and her mother wore a hot pink top and an olive suit. Each seemed unprepared for the size and the sound of the crowd.

Gina Arena lowered her head and cried even before the host goaded the crowd to shout "Move that bus" which was parked in front of the new home to block the Arenas' view.

The producers allowed the Arenas to hug loved ones — including grandparents — before corralling the family back onto the set that Buenta Way had become.

Although there were multiple takes before the bus rolled away and before the family walked for good up the stairs and into the house, there was still plenty of energy and surprise.

Inside, two Arena girls who are New York Yankee fans found their rooms designed to resemble Yankee dugouts, with memorabilia that had been delivered by all-star catcher Jorge Posada.

And Gina and James Arena were shown the nursery for the child they are expecting this summer.

The family was not expected to sleep in its new house until tonight. Last night, the network planned to do taping at an undisclosed hotel with the Arenas.

The show is scheduled to air on Mother's Day.

"Yeah, there are certain things that are staged to create entertaining TV," said Alure president Sal Ferro. "But the love and the effort that my team put into this home is real."

19.jpg

18.jpg

17.jpg

Edited by breezly

This was truly an experience that I will never forget. I know that we are a brotherhood but to see all the FD members there working together was an amazing site. Sal from Alure said to me that he was dumb founded to see how many of us came out to help.

I stoped to take a break at 12:30am Monday morning and working next to me was Billy and Fitz from Somers, Brian and Frank from Mahopac, members from Armonk and Mohegan and Bedford Hills. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These guys are great and have Hugh Hearts.

God Bless the Arena's

And Great Job to all.